What is this game?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

RE: What is this game?

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

2nd and last in the series.

Attachments
ScreenLay..420093.jpg
ScreenLay..420093.jpg (354.84 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Argh, how terrible.

My screen:
1440x900

so,
-1024x768:Too Square and will get ugly black bars.
-1280x1024:Not only too square, but too high for my monitor
-1680x1024:Not only too square, but too big in both directions
-1680x1200:Finally a widescreen resolution, but too high resolution for my monitor
-1920x1200:Same as above.

You guys are killing me here.I thought my resolution was pretty popular, but I guess not.I would suggest a lower widescreen resolution like 1280x768.It's good you guys have widescreen support, but you make it too high to do any good.[8|]

ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Argh, how terrible.

My screen:
1440x900

so,
-1024x768:Too Square and will get ugly black bars.
-1280x1024:Not only too square, but too high for my monitor
-1680x1024:Not only too square, but too big in both directions
-1680x1200:Finally a widescreen resolution, but too high resolution for my monitor
-1920x1200:Same as above.

You guys are killing me here.I thought my resolution was pretty popular, but I guess not.I would suggest a lower widescreen resolution like 1280x768.It's good you guys have widescreen support, but you make it too high to do any good.[8|]

I did an informal survey of forum members to determine the 5 'standard' sizes.

But if you read the text, the whole system is designed to let you change the layout to fit your monitor(s).

In your case, take the 1024 by 768 and enlarge the detailed map to 1440 by 850. That will leave room at the top for the main form. Or you could use a narrower width for the detailed map and keep the global map and other frequently used forms off to one side. How the screen real estate is used is up to you.

I am only giving 5 "starting points" for screen layouts. Based on what I have seen from the beta testers, players have a wide range of monitors and preferences for what goes where and how much space each form gets.

EDIT: Just in case I wasn't clear above. If you have your monitor resolution set to 1440 by 900 and select the 1024 by 768 Screen Layout, there will be a large blank space on the right and at the bottom. 416 pixels of black on the right and 132 of black at the bottom. The forms within the screen layout (SL) can be repositioned freely anywhere you want on your screen real estate. My recommendation above was to simply resize the detailed map form, converting the black pixels to more hexagons of the detailed map.

Maybe what I have done here with giving the player the freedom to rearrange and resize forms within whatever monitor(s) he has available is revolutionary? Regardless of whether others have done this with games, I felt it was an essential change for MWIF because of its numerous forms and enormous world map (70,200 hexs).
Steve

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

There is huge flexibility here. As a beta tester I can tell you I have built screen layouts with the following:
- one 22" monitor 1680 x 1050
- dual 22" monitors 3360 x 1050
- dual 22" + 17" monitors 2704 x 1050 (sort of - the right side is only 768 high)

Personally I don't like the main map to extend past the edge of one monitor but you can certainly stretch it across the combined desktop if you like.
Paul
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Ah I see, my bad.You should hook up with other developers for resolution issues.You don't know how irritating it is having ugly black bars on the side of the screen everytime I play fullscreen.My only gripe on alot of Matrix games.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Shannon V. OKeets

Ah I see, my bad.You should hook up with other developers for resolution issues.You don't know how irritating it is having ugly black bars on the side of the screen everytime I play fullscreen.My only gripe on alot of Matrix games.
[:D][:D][:D]I have plenty of my own problems to solve, without taking on fixing other programs.[8|][8|][8|]
Steve

CSSS

Post by CSSS »

The original Map was relatively bland Black and white basicaly with little color. The original counters were silioettes of a fighter, bomber, Tac, and a Nav. You only had like 8 total fighter for Germany 3 Nav , 6 tac, and two or three bombers. The game was pretty basicb y any account but the play sysems were what made it so completely addictive to play.
Land counters were not that many also, no Divisons, flak , artilery, just Inf, Mech, and armor, and not very many either. Same with the ships. I will try to go into the attic and see if I can find them and photo some of them to show you it it AMAZING how this game has changed!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: CSS

The original Map was relatively bland Black and white basicaly with little color. The original counters were silioettes of a fighter, bomber, Tac, and a Nav. You only had like 8 total fighter for Germany 3 Nav , 6 tac, and two or three bombers. The game was pretty basicb y any account but the play sysems were what made it so completely addictive to play.
Land counters were not that many also, no Divisons, flak , artilery, just Inf, Mech, and armor, and not very many either. Same with the ships. I will try to go into the attic and see if I can find them and photo some of them to show you it it AMAZING how this game has changed!
Warspite 1

I agree, I got my first game just before Planes in Flames - and about two years later Ships in Flames - came out. Although the game mechanics made the game interesting, fun and yet easily playable, it was these additional counters that for me changed the game completely. I still marvel at the quality and the detail of those glossy, full colour counters [&o], at a time when other game makers were stuck in the dark ages of producing the same old "standard" counters.

One difference of opinion though - I liked the simplicity of the old maps, "bland" as they were. My only disappointment with WIF has been when the final edition maps came out. Those grey mountain hexes [X(], those horrible fists type things dotted all over the place [X(] What a shame..... Still, never mind, the maps in MWIF are quite simply a work of art.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
TOMLABEL

Post by TOMLABEL »

Great questions V22 and very good answers Shannon! I haven't kept up with this board due to AE work, but I am immensely interested in this game as I own the original plus add-ons.[&o]
Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

Return to “World in Flames”