Europe Aflame

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

sapper32

Europe Aflame

Post by sapper32 »

Hi ive decided to post an AAR of my Allied/Soviet side's struggle to defeat MacGregor and his Axis side so here goes,

Poland fell in the early turns the Western Allies were content to mobilize and see what happens,however HQ BEF arrives in Northern France as the advance party for the troops prommised in case of war.Alarmed at the invasion and quick fall of Denmark the Royal Navy patrols the North Sea.

The Kremlin orders the invasion of Finland and large numbers of Red Army units arrive on the Northern Front however the Finn's prove tough opponents and the going is slow with large numbers of units going into reorg.

Attachments
Clipboard05.jpg
Clipboard05.jpg (106.43 KiB) Viewed 42 times
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
cesteman

RE: Europe Aflame

Post by cesteman »

I hate atacking Finland!
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

I had a long think about what to do and decided that i would try to conquer the Finns this time around,last time i tried it the Swede's intervened as i was on the outskirts of Helsinki and a combination of my poor tactic's and a German invasion of USSR sent me running out of Finnland never to return.
The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

BEF Advance guard arrives in Northern France,British government unsure how many division's will be sent to France at the moment,RAF elements also fly in to airfields in N France.

Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg (94.15 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Red Army units advance into Finnland using as many axis of advance as possible,Finnish Army cant defend everywhere,Red Airforce heavily involved in the fighting blowing bridges and straffing enemy units,unfortunatly about half the Red Army is in reorg this turn.

Attachments
Finn1.jpg
Finn1.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Here is the situation on Norway,Britains slow response has allowed German troops to overrun southern Norway,However British Army and Marine units along with some Norweigian troops still hold the North a French Expeditionary Force has not turned up yet French GHQ hasnt decided if it will be sent at all.

Attachments
Nor1.jpg
Nor1.jpg (146.57 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Here is the situation in southern Finnland Red Army close in as Finnish forces struggle to hold the line,Red Airforce has destroyed bridges behind enemy lines,Red army forces in Northern Finnland also make progress.

Attachments
Finn2.jpg
Finn2.jpg (57.74 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Red Army pushes on in Southern Finnland

Attachments
Finn3.jpg
Finn3.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Here is the situation in Norway,German troops surge towards Bergan as British and Norweigan forces Regroup

Attachments
Nor2.jpg
Nor2.jpg (160.7 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

The situation in Southern Finnland see's Red Army forces making good progress toward Helsinki,Hope the swede's dont intervine

Attachments
Finn4.jpg
Finn4.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Germans capture Bergan as Allied forces Dig in around Trondheim,at last a small French force arrives[:D]

Attachments
Nor3.jpg
Nor3.jpg (89.37 KiB) Viewed 41 times
sapper32

Post by sapper32 »

Game ended due to technical issues shame but such is life
Veers

Post by Veers »

What technical issues?
To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

That was a kind gesture on Sapper32's part but actually I ended the game out of extreme dissatisfaction with combat results. For the second time within the first 20 turns, practically the entire German army and air force still with half or more movement was stymied by a stack/unit with a defense strength of 5 or less. First was Warsaw where one unit had retreated and not even dug-in, the second time was Namur where one Belgian regiment strength 4 withstood practically the entire wermach,certainly all the armor/mecht. Each attack caused over 15% German losses, virtually devastating the german army. It's just not realistic. Keep in mind there was no supporting defensive artillery and the entire luftwaffe was flying as well. In World in Flames, assaults of 10:1 or better are automatic. These were well over 20:1. There were circumstances benefiting the defense to be sure. But somewhere to make room for all the 'special circumstance' they forgot to limit it's ability to override lopsided combat power differential. If I can take horrendous losses at 25-30:1, what am I going to do when I have to attack at 5 or 3 to 1 odds? I could gratuitously say I'll just play the allies from now on, but I won't. The land combat model has a flaw that must be addressed, at least before I take on a pbem opponent again. Lovely pictures however.
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

ORIGINAL: macgregor

(...) The land combat model has a flaw that must be addressed, at least before I take on a pbem opponent again. Lovely pictures however.

It must be due to the lovely pictures this game is played for more that 10 years...
Veers

Post by Veers »

I get combat results I don't expect lots, and so do real commanders, it's a bummer, but it's realism.
Sure, TOAW isn't perfect, but in the end it does a good enough job to make it very playable.
I don't expect that enough of the community wants to see major changes to the basic land combat model to justify Ralph's time changing it.
Unfortunately, Mac, if you don't like TOAW's reults, and enjoy a game that gives you more predictable results, then maybe something else is for you.
To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

I agree with the spirit of your post Wyatt. There's something worth noting here however. I'm not a novice player. Not to this game, nor this scenario. Granted the game depiction of time can lead to deceptive situations where you think those troops are attacking when actually they're still reaching the staging area, then entering the fray over the dead bodies of previous uncoordinated attacks. But we're talking 12-15 full-strength corps including all the armor and mech being stopped by a Belgian regiment, resulting in almost 15% losses for over 300,000 Germans while their regiment of not even 2000 men ends the attack still green. You may call me a whiner, and I acknowledge that's what I'm doing. But if I can't use Napoleon's principle of overwhelming strength for the Germans, who's chances for victory hinge on maneuver warfare, I'm willing to humbly acknowledge defeat. While it seems Ralph has some of my coveted wishlist items on the back burner(and perhaps rightfully so), he does seem to be taking a comprehensive approach toward improving the game. It wouldn't surprise me to see improvements in the ground combat, or maybe simply in the transparency of how it works. But if expending 5 of 15 movement points renders a fresh mech corps non-participatory in a combat, why must it then suffer these horrendous losses? I'm optimistic about this game which has promise to be the best grognard arena ever, I'm just not satisfied with it yet. A bad dice roll I can always accept as bad luck, but what happened here seems to be more endemic. If sapper32 is still interested, I suppose I've vented enough frustration (hopefully not entirely in vain) and would continue as time allows me.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

This all sounds fishy to me. But we can't perform an autopsy without the save file with the attack setup.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

I appreciate your concern Curtis and will be happy to provide whatever files are necessary. I think the turn is still mine to finish. I can send it to you though you would need sapper32's password to open it.

PS -My mistake. Sapper32 has the aforementioned file(or so I hope). He has subsequently moved and sent it back to me.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: macgregor

I appreciate your concern Curtis and will be happy to provide whatever files are necessary. I think the turn is still mine to finish. I can send it to you though you would need sapper32's password to open it.

PS -My mistake. Sapper32 has the aforementioned file(or so I hope). He has subsequently moved and sent it back to me.

Did you save the turn after setting it up but prior to executing the attack in question? That's what we would require. Any save before the attack was set up or after it was over wouldn't help.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “After Action Reports”