IJN Carrier Air Groups

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

treespider

RE: IJN Carrier Air Groups

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: jolly_pillager

CVE's can perform air transport, but so can AK's

'cept with CVE's you can fly land based air off of them to a distant base and the aircraft don't need to be repaired.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Thanks for the reply everyone.  It has been very informative.  This is my first grand campaign.

I read that some players don't even bother building the CVE's.

The CVE's are somewhat....anemic....in the airpower department.

CVE's are slow.

CVE's are favorite targets of subs, making their use as roving ASW ships somewhat questionable.

CVE's use merchant build points that might be better spent building TK's before the US subs sink so many that you're behind the curve trying to catch up....except you start behind the curve and can never really catch up.....[;)]

I like them as ASW assets, or at least I did so in Witp. Jury is still out in AE, but I intend to try them in that role.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

US CVE ship crewmembers said that the acronym stands for "Combustible, Vulnerable and Expendable"....

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

IJN CVE's definitely de-fanged a bit. Can't carry torps, and the Japanese now don't have many CV-capable units you can put on there anyway.

I used to use them with Baby-KB; probably not anymore.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

I plan on using them to train "carrier capable" to "carrier trained" groups.

Edit: Kind of how the Hosho was used historically. Also, they can be used as aircraft transports.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

ORIGINAL: jomni

Thanks for the reply everyone.  It has been very informative.  This is my first grand campaign.

I read that some players don't even bother building the CVE's.

The CVE's are somewhat....anemic....in the airpower department.

CVE's are slow.

CVE's are favorite targets of subs, making their use as roving ASW ships somewhat questionable.

CVE's use merchant build points that might be better spent building TK's before the US subs sink so many that you're behind the curve trying to catch up....except you start behind the curve and can never really catch up.....[;)]

I like them as ASW assets, or at least I did so in Witp. Jury is still out in AE, but I intend to try them in that role.

I generally stick some fighters on them and use them for extra cap or to cap invasion fleets/convoys. The Japanese historically used them mostly as aircraft transports IIRC.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Edit: Kind of how the Hosho was used historically. Also, they can be used as aircraft transports.

Side Note: I am surprised that Hosho is now a 20-A/C capable ship, though only 6 torps on board. Set the airgroups to expand, and it's 10 Zeros and 10 Kates; more valuable than it used to be.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Side Note: I am surprised that Hosho is now a 20-A/C capable ship, though only 6 torps on board. Set the airgroups to expand, and it's 10 Zeros and 10 Kates; more valuable than it used to be.

Technically it should only have a capacity of 11, the air wing was reduced when it was converted to a training carrier.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

WARNING:
Jap CVE Airgroups will become available over time. At least in scen 1 I can see the airgroups of Unyo, Chuyo aso......in the "Aircraft Reinforcement" screen becoming available at around mid to end 1943. The same for CVL Ryujo (or was it Ryuho?) which is due to arrive late 1942. I can't check right now, so I'm not sure if these CVE airgroups come "carrier trained" or only "capable".
The player has to decide if he will wait until late 43 for the designated airgroups or if he likes to station other "capable" airgroups earlier on the CVEs.
I usually use them to ferry airgroups from/to Japan. Historically this was also their main job aside from convoy duty later in the war. So I do not need airgroups for these CVEs. I even think about using those arriving airgroups as land based units. I guess they might live longer this way. [;)]
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: TheTomDude

WARNING:
Jap CVE Airgroups will become available over time. At least in scen 1 I can see the airgroups of Unyo, Chuyo aso......in the "Aircraft Reinforcement" screen becoming available at around mid to end 1943. The same for CVL Ryujo (or was it Ryuho?) which is due to arrive late 1942. I can't check right now, so I'm not sure if these CVE airgroups come "carrier trained" or only "capable".
The player has to decide if he will wait until late 43 for the designated airgroups or if he likes to station other "capable" airgroups earlier on the CVEs.
I usually use them to ferry airgroups from/to Japan. Historically this was also their main job aside from convoy duty later in the war. So I do not need airgroups for these CVEs. I even think about using those arriving airgroups as land based units. I guess they might live longer this way. [;)]
They come "Trained"
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”