Intelligence Processing Capabilities of Tracker

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

herwin

Intelligence Processing Capabilities of Tracker

Post by herwin »

Bohdi's utility had the following features that were very useful in maintaining track of enemy ships and TFs:

Saving and compilation of sig intel, operations and combat reports for game turns
Display of the sig intel data on a game map
Display of operations report data on a game map
Display of combat report data on a game map
Display of all acccumulated information on opponents major naval vessels (CV, CVL, CVE, BB, BC, CA)
Filtering of intel by age of intel and intel type
Filtering of combat reports by age of report and combat type

Can Tracker AE provide any of this?
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
n01487477

RE: Intelligence Processing Capabilities of Tracker

Post by n01487477 »

Herwin,
Not at present, but after we've done a version or three, to get the critical AE data included, Floyd and I might consider doing this... but that will be some time off.

herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Herwin,
Not at present, but after we've done a version or three, to get the critical AE data included, Floyd and I might consider doing this... but that will be some time off.

How did Bohdi do it? This sounds like it might be an interesting project--I teach intermediate Java and use Eclipse as the development environment.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Yeah, we use Eclipse as well ... I think Bohdi used C++ / .NET, and just parsed the files, which would be fairly easy to do (well in witp it was, there is more detail to discard in these reports). The reports were saved to *.txt files iirc, so not even a proper DB connection (although I think that would be better)... And the base data, retrieved from the scenario folder itself.

The Map is probably the biggest concern, but once you have worked the numbers, it would be fairly easy to implement, or so I tell myself.

Would be interested in seeing some student code on that, and putting it into Tracker, or you providing a stand alone...

Cheers

herwin

Post by herwin »

Yeah, we use Eclipse as well ... I think Bohdi used C++ / .NET, and just parsed the files, which would be fairly easy to do (well in witp it was, there is more detail to discard in these reports). The reports were saved to *.txt files iirc, so not even a proper DB connection (although I think that would be better)... And the base data, retrieved from the scenario folder itself.

The Map is probably the biggest concern, but once you have worked the numbers, it would be fairly easy to implement, or so I tell myself.

Would be interested in seeing some student code on that, and putting it into Tracker, or you providing a stand alone...

Cheers

It could be fairly basic:

Load report file
Parse report file into individual reports
Store reports, indexed by DTG and location
Parse individual reports seeking LCU, ship, airgroup, and base identifiers
Store detailed reports, indexed by unit or base, DTG, and location

Provide search and display features.
Harry Erwin
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

I believe he parsed the event files and tracked them on the map. I've done some similar coding already for use with some of my private utilities. I'm more than willing to help out if we want to do this in Java. I'd suggest some kind of a callback pattern so the program with the GUI can simply call the parser with the callback implementation and get notified as each event is parsed with the event text and event type. The only gotcha is that the program has to understand the loc tables in the scenario file as many of the location are text only without a hex number ("17th Division is planning for an attack on Chuhsien", for example).
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: herwin

Load report file

Yep, I agree it doesn't need to be all that complex ... good pseudo code, now just got to fill it out with a thousand lines of the real stuff [;)]
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: herwin

Load report file

Yep, I agree it doesn't need to be all that complex ... good pseudo code, now just got to fill it out with a thousand lines of the real stuff [;)]

It's the sort of thing I do during the teaching year to keep my Java skills sharp. Added: Oops, Snow Leopard made my copy of Eclipse obsolete... Busy, busy. On the other hand, I have a parser I can modify easily here.
Harry Erwin
Woos

Post by Woos »

In principle WitpStaffs event tab was designed with Bodhi's utility in mind.
The only thing missing are the parsing routines which convert log file entries into "Occurrence" classes (and some own definitions of Occurrence classes). Well and admittedly the event tab itself could use some polishing.
Anyone interested?
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

I could easily do it using Perl, but I'm not sure that's a great fit in a Windows environ. But I'm willing to do it and generate text files for loading into a schema if it is worth it for someone to write the load routines for those text files and the display portion.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

ORIGINAL: Woos
In principle WitpStaffs event tab was designed with Bodhi's utility in mind.
The only thing missing are the parsing routines which convert log file entries into "Occurrence" classes (and some own definitions of Occurrence classes). Well and admittedly the event tab itself could use some polishing.
Anyone interested?

I have a parser capable of handling operationsreport.txt and sigint.txt files. Currently, it is a generic regex package that runs from the command line and creates a csv file with the parsed events. On the other hand, it is almost a 1 for 1 mapping between javascript and Java in this particular case and I already have a Java parser capable of looping through the same kind of structures. Given a Reader of events and a callback implementation, it can fire events for each line parsed. This seems like something that could be plugged into witpstaff mapviewplugins stuff. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to hook it up, so to speak.

P.M. me if interested.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”