Rendering Setup when starting the game

In this elegant turn-based strategy game, compelling gameplay combines with gripping history to create an addictive mix. Aimed at all levels, from those who have never played a wargame before to those who know the history of World War II in detail, this is an entertaining and mentally challenging game of combined arms strategy. Your armor, infantry, artillery and air units will follow you through the most crucial battles of the Eastern Front. You will be able to choose from 47 different upgrades and improvements for your units as well as add new forces based on your success in the campaign. Take command in two German and one Soviet campaign as well as individual scenarios and determine the fate of the Eastern Front.

Moderators: Ronald Wendt, RalfZenker

RalfZenker

Rendering Setup when starting the game

Post by RalfZenker »

Hello,

The Rendering Setup - when starting the game - seems to cause some confusion.

So i will explain this screen in detail for you.

The graphics you see in the pictures of this dialog box is what you will see in the first patch of the game (most of you will just have the Ogre logo at the moment).

So let´s start...
Ralf Zenker
Binary Evolution Studios
RalfZenker

RE: Rendering Setup when starting the game

Post by RalfZenker »

The first thing is to select a Rendering Subsystem in the drop-down list. Here you can only select the Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem at the moment.

Attachments
RenderingSetup1.jpg
RenderingSetup1.jpg (42.2 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Ralf Zenker
Binary Evolution Studios
RalfZenker

Post by RalfZenker »

After selecting a Rendering Subsystem you will see different Rendering System Options.

The most import one for most players is the Video Mode. Here you can select the screen resolution and the color depth. E.g. 800 x 600 @ 32-bit color means that the resolution will be 800 x 600 pixels and your color depth would be 32 bit.

A short description of the other Rendering System Options:
  • Allow NVPerfHUD: You can select if it is possible to extract shaders and textures from the game. This is "No" by default and to activate it is not recommended!
  • Anti aliasing: By default it is "None". If you want to have smoother edges you can select one of the anti aliasing methods your graphics card driver provides. But beware some of the anti aliasing methods will need a lot of computing power especially on low end machines.
  • Floating-point mode: This allows you to select the accuracy of floating point calculations. By default it is on "Fastest" for low end machines. For higher accuracy you can change it.
  • Full Screen: Here you can change between Full Screen and Windowed mode (this could be also done in the game by pressing "F11".
  • Rendering Device: If your computer has different graphic cards you can choose which one should be used for the game.
  • VSync: Here you could select if the game should wait for the vertical synchronization of the monitor before rendering the next frame.
  • sRGB Gamma Conversion: For this one i recommend the article about sRGB on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB

Attachments
RenderingSetup2.jpg
RenderingSetup2.jpg (52.41 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Ralf Zenker
Binary Evolution Studios
RalfZenker

Post by RalfZenker »

How can i change the settings of the Rendering System Options?

For example if you want to change the Video Mode you have to click on this row. After that you will see a drop-down list at the lower border of the dialog box. Here you can select the resolution and color depth which is suitable for you.

To go to the game just click OK(you have to choose a Rendering Subsystem before!) if you want to go back to the desktop click on Cancel.

You have to do this just one time! All adjustments will be saved for the next time you will run the game.

Attachments
RenderingSetup3.jpg
RenderingSetup3.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Ralf Zenker
Binary Evolution Studios
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Ralf, thank you so much for your posts here - it really helps.

I just reloaded the game and played all 4 Campaign tutorials.

By the end of the last, I heard this strange whirring coming from my PC that I've never heard before and I figured it may have been extra fans kicking in to cool the system down?

I'm running an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX with 768Mb Ram.

Here's my Ogre settings - do you know what could be stessing my system with this game?

Thanks,
Adam.

Attachments
OgreOptions.jpg
OgreOptions.jpg (13.3 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Adam, get a fan speed monitor so that you can see what's going on under the hood temperature-wise.  But AFAIK the PC will shut down before any real damage can be done.  Your high floating point mode could be heating things up.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Adam,

It does not run hot on any of our systems, but every system is different. My recommendation would be to turn down the "Shadows" setting in-game.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia”