Carrier strikes overland?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cantona2

Carrier strikes overland?

Post by cantona2 »

I know these couldnt happen in Witp but can they happen in AE. For example can Jap carriers strike ships on the IO side of Sumatra while they are in the Straits of Malaaca?
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Xargun

RE: Carrier strikes overland?

Post by Xargun »

I've seen air strikes over islands, so I'm guessing larger land masses would be the same.

Xargun
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Why wouldn't they if the target is in range and spotted? [&:]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Why wouldn't they if the target is in range and spotted? [&:]

I don't think that was possible in Witp if the land mass was more than two hexes wide. I'm sure this cropped up about a year ago in relation to the example i gave above. Someone was well peeved that the KB in the Straits did not launch vs two RN Carriers spotted, clear weather etc on the IO side of Sumatra

John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I've had them launch airstrikes across both Celebes and Java in my game.  I'd rather they hadn't done that, but I don't see why they couldn't do it.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

It can, and does, happen.

I had a US CV just south of PM when the Nip sent his invasion fleet to Lae.  My CV a/c attacked them. 
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Thanks guys. Better move some ships i have concentrated near to where the KB is now!

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I have gotten LOT of attacks across New Guinea (and it's more that 2 hexes wide) by parking my US CV 2 hexes SW of PM. Also, that has additional penalty for enemy counter-attacks, that they must pass PM fighter defence before they can hit carriers. Adds nice extra CAP. Plus operation is historical, they did that at least once. [8D] 
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

51st Highland Div

Post by 51st Highland Div »

They certainly did do it historically...did they not have to use the warm air draughts from the Owen Stanley Mountains to help lift the loaded aircraft over the mountains...[:D]
https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Same as Sardauker..I have parked cv's SW of Port Moresby and hit enemy ships south of Lae..Often..

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”