Leaders

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Tanaka

Leaders

Post by Tanaka »

As I cannot seem to find it anywhere in the manual or in the AE forums could one of the devs please post what the different leadership skills mean and who is good at what and what they should be assigned to? Pretty please? [8D]

Here is what was posted for WITP- Does all of this still apply? Changes? Additions? Corrections?

tm.asp?m=797513&mpage=1&key=leadership%2Cratings

Leaders
LEADER RATINGS:

LEADERSHIP (SKILL):
skill roll by air unit leader effects pilot experience gain

INSPIRATION (MORALE):
morale Rolls effect number of patrol aircraft that fly
morale Rolls effect number of strike aircraft that fly
morale roll effects land unit fatigue reduction
morale roll effects land unit morale reduction due to fatigue
morale roll effects land unit element disabled due to fatigue
morale roll effects disabled land unit element destroyed due to fatigue
morale roll effects air unit morale recovery
morale roll by HQ leader effects attacking land unit assault value
morale roll by HQ leader effects defending land unit assault value
morale roll by unit leader effects attacking land unit assault value
morale roll by unit leader effects defending land unit assault value

NAVAL:
naval roll by ASW ship commander effects sub search (ASW TFs only)
naval roll by sub captain effects sub contact chance
naval rating by sub captain effects subs chance to survive ASW attack
naval roll by TF commander effects chance of "crossing T" in surface combat
naval roll by TF commander effects chance of attaining surprise in surface combat
naval roll by ship captain effects ship's chance of locating a target during surface combat

AIR:
air roll by group leader effects number of strike aircraft that fly
air roll by air HQ leader effects number of strike aircraft that fly
air roll by air HQ leader effects number of patrol aircraft that fly

LAND:
land roll by HQ leader effects attacking land unit assault value
land roll by HQ leader effects defending land unit assault value
land roll by unit leader effects attacking land unit assault value
land roll by unit leader effects defending land unit assault value
land roll by unit leader effects defending land unit's firing accuracy
land roll by unit leader effects defending land unit's experience gain
land roll by unit leader effects attacking land unit's firing accuracy
land roll by unit leader effects attacking land unit's experience gain
land rating of amphib HQ's leader effects chance of amphib unload success

ADMIN
admin roll by unit leader effects ability to use supply to reduce disruption and fatigue
admin roll by HQ leader effects ability to use support to reduce disruption and fatigue

AGGRESSION
aggression roll by TF commander effects chance of Bombard TF to change mission to Surf-Com
aggression roll by TF commander effects chance TFs will converge more rapidly in Surf-Com
aggression rating of sub captain effects chance of contacting enemy TFs

Tanaka

RE: Leaders

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

We tried to give the player about the same information he would have, were he the theatre commander, so he could role play, instead of number crunch. The values can be viewed by loading the scenario into the data base editor, if he is so inclined.

As far as what type the player might place in command of a unit, I think the purpose and unit orders would influence the players choice.

The "bomber weenie" generally has a lower air skill and aggressiveness than the fighter commander, but a higher land combat skill (knows where in the infantry might hide and can bomb them better). I usually select a "promising" fellow with a good Inspiration (55% to 60%) and at least an average Leadership (50%+). If I plan on using the group for long range or opposed bombing missions, I prefer a bit higher Inspiration (60%-70%) and a "very promising" fellow, if available.

Bye...

Michael Wood

ORIGINAL: byron13

For the typical line doggie, the description is that he's a promising and careful officer. Some are "very," which I guess is a good thing. I guess careful is supposed to be a good thing, though it borders on cautious in my mind. A few are aggressive or cautious. but 90% are either promising/careful or very promising/careful. Other than a hint that they should be fighter leaders or assault unit leaders or surface fleet commanders, 90% all look the same. If the inspiration and leadership don't mean much, then there's really not a lot separating one from another that we can tell. If someone is best qualified to be a bomber weenie, does that mean he brings positive attributes to a bomber outfit, or is he just not good enough to be a fighter jock?

I guess the best we can do is put the very promising and careful people with the important units (unless aggressive is called for) and try to match assault units to assault leaders.

I would have hoped to have had a little more information for placing unit leaders.

Also where does it say land skill is good for air bombing units? And aggression is good for fighter air units? The list they gave us only mentions these as good for land forces and sea taskforces. Am I missing something?

Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Anyone? [:)]
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

[:(]
Rexor

Post by Rexor »

bump and bump
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

Good question Tanaka.
That's still one of the biggest mysteries to me as well.
Admiral Scott

Post by Admiral Scott »

Inquiring minds want to know.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Generally speaking from WITP, not sure if same for AE but a skill greater than 65 made him good at it
Surface TF - naval w/ aggr
CV TF - air w/ aggr
Amphib TF - land w/ admin
Fighter - aggressive w/ air
Bomber - air w/ admin
assault hq - aggr & land
combat - land above 50
rear area hq - admin w/ land below 50
 I never got a real good hold of what a patrol/recon/transport commander rating might be other than something w/ admin
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Thanks! Can any of the devs confirm that this is the same for AE?

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

Generally speaking from WITP, not sure if same for AE but a skill greater than 65 made him good at it
Surface TF - naval w/ aggr
CV TF - air w/ aggr
Amphib TF - land w/ admin
Fighter - aggressive w/ air
Bomber - air w/ admin
assault hq - aggr & land
combat - land above 50
rear area hq - admin w/ land below 50
I never got a real good hold of what a patrol/recon/transport commander rating might be other than something w/ admin
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

bumpity
51st Highland Div

Post by 51st Highland Div »

Certainly some of the US naval leaders must be of a good standard considering how many time the "T" has been crossed in fights against the IJN..along with one or two RN commanders as well [:)]
https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC
P.Hausser

Post by P.Hausser »

bomp
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Here is a part of a reply from Mike Wood a long time ago.

The "bomber weenie" generally has a lower air skill and aggressiveness than the fighter commander, but a higher land combat skill (knows where in the infantry might hide and can bomb them better). I usually select a "promising" fellow with a good Inspiration (55% to 60%) and at least an average Leadership (50%+). If I plan on using the group for long range or opposed bombing missions, I prefer a bit higher Inspiration (60%-70%) and a "very promising" fellow, if available.

Bye...

Michael Wood
jb123

Post by jb123 »

ok.... bump.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

In general, they are the same.
But there are some differences.
When devs get a breather, they will probably reply.[>:]
Michael
Magister Militum

Post by Magister Militum »

I'll worry about saving Mac when there is an option added to courtmartial him for gross incompetence in his preparations for and initial actions in the defence of the Phillipines.  Until then, let him man a foxhole near Bataan.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

I never try to get him out yet he keeps turning up in Brisbane....
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

It seems as if the only skill that maters is leadership.  I don't know of any skill or inspiration checks that are made but a ton of leadership checks.
Husky_MatrixForum

Post by Husky_MatrixForum »

You sure?
ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Leaders

LEADERSHIP (SKILL):
skill roll by air unit leader effects pilot experience gain

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

One, if not the worst part of WitP and now AE ia the lack of information regarding leaders. In the quote below role play was mentioned. In true roll playing games you know exactly what is meant be the various skills an individua pocessesl, not some arbitary statement about being a him being a careful officer. I want to know what aggressiveness help, land skill helps not guess or experimment or hope that my careful officer is going to recognise the difference between a jap TF and an allied one. What determines that anyway, Naval skill?

Give use a break here the game is massive, brilliant and is the best game I've ever played on a computer but leader descriptions is poor, very poor.
ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

We tried to give the player about the same information he would have, were he the theatre commander, so he could role play, instead of number crunch. The values can be viewed by loading the scenario into the data base editor, if he is so inclined.

As far as what type the player might place in command of a unit, I think the purpose and unit orders would influence the players choice.

Michael Wood

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”