THinking Hard ABout this one

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Larac

THinking Hard ABout this one

Post by Larac »

I know alot of folks really like it, and I am thinking about getting it.

The price of course makes me slow down a bit, but from what I read it seems to be worth it.

Fixed incomes are not good for gamers.

Can a few folks give me a line or two on what WITP does so well every wargamer into WWII should play it?

I guess I am trying to talk myself into it and need a little help, spending 100USD on a computer game, as if if get it I'll need that manual :)

Thanks for the help
Lee
Max 86

RE: THinking Hard ABout this one

Post by Max 86 »

This game provides a level of detail not for the faint hearted. You get to manage every squadron, land combat unit, and ship involved in the conflict from India to California, from N. Zealand to Eastern Russia and Alaska. Each unit type is historically represented so that the player needs to understand what the difference is between a Japanese Betty bomber or a Val, operationally speaking.

This game also makes the player manage the reaqr area units not usually included in most games. When you take a base, you cannot automatically start using the base until you move "Base Forces" to run the base, "Aviation Eng" units to repair or increase the size of the airbase. Players must form TFs to provide fuel an supplies to each of their bases.

Overall this game requires a level of management I find challenging and also educational. I have a greater understanding (and respect) of Japanese unit types for instance that I would never have gained otherwise. Its a huge game, very entertaining but also very time consuming.

Hope this helps.
No problem Chief!
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Max has given a pretty good description.  I would suggest that every WWII wargamer should not play it, only those that love the details.  The best way I can describe that is that most of us who love this game spend at least as much time thinking about our moves, scheming, and planning our next turns, as we actually spend "playing" the game.  For many of us, it's way more time planning than "playing."  That's where I learn the most, and what makes it so addictive for me.  [8D]

If that sounds good to you, you will never regret spending the money.  It will be fractions of pennys per hour spent with the game by the time you stop playing.  If that sounds scary to you, you want to look for a different kind of game.  [:)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
ltfightr

Post by ltfightr »

As many others have said the best thing about this game is the value for the dollar. True the upfront costs are high but you will play this game for years.
Support the Boy Scouts buy Popcorn!
http://www.trails-end.com/estore/scouts ... id=3133025
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Another agreement on the price - your cost per hour of play will be mind-bogglingly low. You will not feel the need to buy other games. It will be "fixed income" and "fixed cost"! Until the next version comes out (in a few years, at least).
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

This is definitely not a beer and pretzels game.  But it is the best, most detailed and historically accurate wargame ever made.  And it is the best value {price per hour played} of any computer game ever.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

This is definitely not a beer and pretzels game.  But it is the best, most detailed and historically accurate wargame ever made.  And it is the best value {price per hour played} of any computer game ever.
+1
DaveConn

Post by DaveConn »

+2, in spades.
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

This game is absolutely outstanding.  The best on the market when it comes to the whole Pacific theater.  This is not everybody's cup of tea by any means.  Folks who don't like supply will despise this game.  It models logistics for the whole theater in depth.  If you hate the idea of handling convoys to each of your bases this isn't your game.  If your like some of us here and enjoy thinking about only being able to make 50 supply convoys and have 100 bases needing supply.  That supply for the U.S. came from the  U.S. and didn't magically appear at pacific bases no mater how far behind the lines.  Even Pearl Harbor must be kept in supplies and fuel.  I enjoy sweating out a journey being made by one of my ships my opponent has turned into swiss cheese to a base to stabilize it and even then you may still lose it en-route to a shipyard for repair.  And this is just the navel portion of the game not to mention the air and land portion of the game.  WITP:AE for me is WELL worth what I paid.  Some of use do submit ideas for changes but this is to try to improve what we feel is an already outstanding game.  Many of us here are historians and of course will argue as the day is long over to what to others may seem as minor, but the fact so many historians are here and playing speaks volumes about this game.

Don't know if this will help but it's nice to know what WITP is and what it isn't.  One final note as others point out the level of micromanagement is staggering. The game comes with a standalone tool to help you manage some of the management. This is the only game I know of with this kind of tool to help play the game.
jazman

Post by jazman »

The subtle warning in the above comments is "you will give up playing other games." Not that you'd miss them...
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

The thing about this game is its playing longevity, there is no getting bored with WitP AE after a few weeks play. It is not a game for instant gratification though, and it soaks up time like a black hole. But if you want a deep multi-layered game, and not a flashy superficial experience, then this is the game for you.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Kadota

Post by Kadota »

ORIGINAL: jazman

The subtle warning in the above comments is "you will give up playing other games." Not that you'd miss them...

Yeah, this game is going to clear up a lot of space on my hard drive. [:)]
thegreatwent

Post by thegreatwent »

As many others have said the best thing about this game is the value for the dollar. True the upfront costs are high but you will play this game for years.

I second this statement provided you can find the time to play and climb the learning cliff. I've played WitP for years and still do so only at an average level. Proficiency in AE will probably take me many months (make that years). I suggest reading the AAR's to get a sense of the game.

If you decide to jump in don't be afraid to post questions, for the most part the players who frequent these boards are eager to help if they can.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

This game is dedication by it self.This game is the complete opposite of Command and Conquer.I would say you have to love the genre to get into this game.Hate reading manuals? This game isn't for you.[;)]

Now I understand what these guys mean about this game.The game is massive, and well worth it.There's no repetition in the game either.Don't expect to get bored building the same base every game and bored in a couple weeks(Like how in just 2 weeks after I got Command and Conquer 3, I stopped playing it altogether.The repetitive gameplay, coupled with the a$$holes online, I just stopped playing and went back to JTCS)
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
comte

Post by comte »

Buy it it's worth every penny [:)]
gladiatt

Post by gladiatt »

What you should know about the game is the time scale !
with one day turn, it take a very long time for operations (or even raids) to end !
it mean, in your real life, if you think about THIS huge supply convoy you are trying to sneak between japanese bombers to the isolated place you want to help, it will not occur in a single turn and in a single real-day life, but you will wait for a result for maybe a week.
If you are waiting for your reinforcements, if it is supposed to come in 17 days of game, you could wait for 17 in real-life (if you manage to play 1 turn a day....).
So think about it: things are long. The Grand Campaign is something like 1500 turns long.

Otherwise, it is a great game [:)]
jomni

Post by jomni »

It actually depends on the player. Some might just play a few hours and decide to quit the game because they figured they won't be able to reach the end of the campaign in their lifetime.

This is my usual reaction to RPG games (those 400-hour RPG games!!!). I play, get into the story, and then forget about it because there's still so much to do.

But it's not the case with WitP AE. I always find myself itching to play another day just to see what happens next.
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Just do it.
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
Iridium

Post by Iridium »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

Just do it.

Attachments
justdoit.jpg
justdoit.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Yamato, IMO the best looking Battleship.
"Hey, a packet of googly eyes! I'm so taking these." Hank Venture
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

+3

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”