Thinking of buying...

This sequel to the award-winning Crown of Glory takes Napoleonic Grand Strategy to a whole new level. This represents a complete overhaul of the original release, including countless improvements and innovations ranging from detailed Naval combat and brigade-level Land combat to an improved AI, unit upgrades, a more detailed Strategic Map and a new simplified Economy option. More historical AND more fun than the original!

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

cdvalenta

Thinking of buying...

Post by cdvalenta »

Hello Everyone -

I am really interested in this period of time and I am looking for a game that really captures the flavor and feel of the period. I have Commander Napoleon at War and now I am looking for something that is a little more in depth. I have been doing some research on what to get next and so far my choices seem to be CoG:EE, Empire in Arms, and AGEOD's Napoleon's Campaign's. I downloaded AGEOD's Napoleon's Campaign's Demo and so far thought it was alright, but I also might like the CoG:EE empire building aspects and the fact you can fight the battles yourself.

What is the learning curve like for CoG:EE? How complicated is it? Is it a game I can where if I play one turn in a week and then return to it maybe the next week I could pick up right where I left off? For those that have played the other games how does this compare?

Just a little background on the reason I ask is that I have a second baby on the way in three weeks coupled with a toddler already. I have a gaming budget of $50 from my birthday and that is it for the year. This next game I get is going to be it for a long time and I need to make a wise purchase. So far with one baby even playing just a turn of a game in a week allows me to keep my sanity.

Thanks,

Chris
mullinFOAD

RE: Thinking of buying...

Post by mullinFOAD »

Hiya,

I have those 3 games so I can give you my opinion...

- CoG:EE - deepest of the three with empire building and tactical battles (which are lots of fun). It's probably also the most complicated, but there is a simple economy mode for beginners to get their feet wet with.

- Empires in Arms - I won't comment on this one because I haven't played the last few patches. If you are going to get it know that it was best for multiplayer. I've heard the AI has been improved in the latest patches, though.

- Napoleon's Campaigns - The campaigns are all fun, but I wish ageod had included a grand campaign like the rest of their games. As it is, it didn't last me very long play-wise. I do still play the longer Spanish campaign sometimes.

Personally, my favorite of the three is CoG:EE. I still play it alot and probably will for a long time. The nice feature with it is you can save even in the middle of a tactical battle, so you don't have to worry about doing them over if you are pressed for time. All three are pretty easy to get back into if you have been away for awhile.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

The game has a fairly steep learning curve, but the rulebook is quite extensive, and the community here on this forum is excellent for answering questions, clarifying, etc.. I think it is probably ideal for a slow, savoring kind of playing pace like you describe. Have not played the other games so I cannot compare it for you. I am also a relative newcomer to the Napoleonic Era games, so I cannot really comment/compare there either. The only comparison I can is that I bought and tried Ageod's WWI: La Grande Geurre. I got involved in it after the worse of the bugs in the original release had been fixed, but still while it was being fixed. I've never seen any problem like that from WCS or Matrix. These guys have already released one patch, and another one is forthcoming, and that is to fix minor, subtle issues, not gamebreaker stuff.

I am in two PBEMs and have played 3 or 5 SP games. My current ongoing SP game, I have not played a turn for about 10 days, and have been playing for 2 or 3 hours ever 10 or 15 days over the past several months. I was familiar with the general engine from having played Forge of Freedom (WCS Civil War era version) so I was able to jump in and start playing on Difficult settings (not super difficult, but somewhat difficult) without really reading the rulebook much at all. The beauty of the game is that you can play as long of a contest as you want, with whatever victory levels you want to play, and you can play with advanced or simple economy/combat. Thus, if the complexity is too much to start, you can play a simpler version and get momentum. Then once you start to figure it out, you can up the complexity and difficulty.

Sometimes playing one turn against the AI can take you several hours if you have Advanced Econ, are involved in a lot of diplomacy, and do a detailed battle or two against the AI. If you find your sweet spot in terms of difficulty, the AI can teach you a few things, and even screw up your plans pretty badly!

I
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Marshal Villars

Post by Marshal Villars »

In almost 30 years of gaming, I have never found a more satisfying all round empire building experience--except for PERHAPS the Total War series, which simply excels graphically, but doesn't offer the "realism" that CoG:EE offers in many aspects (though I can't say CoG:EE is a simulation either...it is merely a GOOD strategy game).

Full disclosure: I was such a fan of COG:EE that I hung around here and made too many comments and I will be helping them on a game soon (topic and theme not to be disclosed here). So, now you know that too.
cdvalenta

Post by cdvalenta »

Thanks guys. I like what I am hearing so far. I think I might go for it this weekend.
swatter555

Post by swatter555 »

Its a good game, no doubt.
Marshall Thomas

Post by Marshall Thomas »

ORIGINAL: swatter555

Its a good game, no doubt.
I hope that's an understatement. I'm expecting my copy in the next few days.
0360-1275-8904-8300
cdvalenta

Post by cdvalenta »

Well I decided to go for it. I've like what I've read and heard about it.

I will let you know how it turns out!

Return to “Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition”