First Impressions Are Easy Sometimes

In this elegant turn-based strategy game, compelling gameplay combines with gripping history to create an addictive mix. Aimed at all levels, from those who have never played a wargame before to those who know the history of World War II in detail, this is an entertaining and mentally challenging game of combined arms strategy. Your armor, infantry, artillery and air units will follow you through the most crucial battles of the Eastern Front. You will be able to choose from 47 different upgrades and improvements for your units as well as add new forces based on your success in the campaign. Take command in two German and one Soviet campaign as well as individual scenarios and determine the fate of the Eastern Front.

Moderators: Ronald Wendt, RalfZenker

Erik Rutins

RE: First Impressions Are Easy Sometimes

Post by Erik Rutins »

It's nothing like that. I did plenty of gaming in the DOS days and had separate config.sys and autoexec.bat configurations for different occasions.

The only thing you really _need_ to do is choose the resolution you want to run in before the game loads. You can also choose to use anti-aliasing if you want.

Frankly, I don't want to keep posting about this and make it seem like I'm getting on Adam's case, but I don't want this game that most players haven't even tried yet to get some kind of reputation for bad graphics or complex configuration requirements, neither of which are true.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
moltobenny

Post by moltobenny »

I haven't bought the game yet, but I haven't heard any complaints in this thread that make me NOT want to buy it. I have plenty of games that ask you first what resolution you want to run at! I much prefer this to the other option, which is to have it pick for you, and then have to go into various Options... Graphics... menus, select a new resolution, then often have to restart the game.

Honestly, this thread has done more to encourage me to purchase the game, rather than discourage.
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

Well I was all ready for this one since it was advertised as beer&pretzels, but, Adam has shown the light and I think I'll wait awhile and see how things turn out. Like Elvis used to sing "Only fools rush in".
moltobenny

Post by moltobenny »

Yes, but he also ate fried banana, bacon, and peanut butter sandwiches, and died on a toilet. So, you know. You have to take that into account too.
Balthazar Gerards

Post by Balthazar Gerards »

ORIGINAL: moltobenny

Yes, but he also ate fried banana, bacon, and peanut butter sandwiches, and died on a toilet. So, you know. You have to take that into account too.

lol! priceless![:D]
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: moltobenny

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o] I'm laughing so hard I can't see straight...
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

I configured the game for 1600x1200 and anti-aliasing at the start-up and the units look fine. I would prefer the units actually moved like PG with animated treads, dust, etc. but so far the game looks good. Looking to spend more time with it.
brianlala

Post by brianlala »

I have to agree with bssybeep. the graphics may not be everyone's cup of tea but they at least look fine/acceptable. Things look polished enough for me and I did not get the impression that this was a game still in development or made in a "garage".

The complaint about the start up of OGRE does seem somewhat overdone but it was fairly confusing for me too the first time as well (I did not read the manual before playing though).
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Frankly, I don't want to keep posting about this and make it seem like I'm getting on Adam's case...

That's ok Erik. Treat me like a food critic who saw something questionable in the kitchen before the food came out.

Note my edit to my original post too.

Adam.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

My only real complaints are that I don't see the need for the 3D--I don't think it adds anything and I'd prefer PG style 2D maps, and more instantly legible units/counters. Beyond that the actual game is pretty good, and seems to deliver what was promised. The graphics are certainly ok, just not my cup of tea; YMMV. All in all it seems worth the price.
sabre100

Post by sabre100 »

I bought it and the game is very good. If you like PG you will like this game. However I do agree with TheWombat if they made the graphics in sharp 2D look like PG had this game would have ROCKED!! More PG fans would be all over IMHO. I know it is 2009 and almost every developer thinks they need to do 3D to be "cool" with the rest of the games but I am not a big fan of 3D in a game like this. If you want to copy and be a clone of PG then they should have used the PG 2D graphics style from PG1.

Aside from that I think the game is a very good PG clone.
sliver_bullet

Post by sliver_bullet »

Wish I have not seen this post , I am eagerly waiting for this game that I label it  as Modernize Panzer General ( big fan of PG & Strategic Command Series ) but now having doubts about the system requirement

and yes why they have to make this 3D .....guess have to wait for more comment

Funny it seem like the same scenario when  Battlefront release Strategic Command 2 which is totally different from SC1 
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

With regard to the "icons/counter" and "2D/3D" comments. They are fine, but can we all just transport ourselves back to the days when we played Panzer General?

I'm making a sweeping statement here, but I for one wanted 3D graphics....I liked PG very much and AG, but I yearned for little 3D models of Tigers!

Besides, one other point...we are all hardened gamers. We know what we like and we buy what we like....games like these are needed to get fresh blood into the genre. PG did it for me...I think thie and other games like it could do it for other kids. More fresh blood = more sales = more development.

I'm buying tonight [:D]
Alba gu' brath
sliver_bullet

Post by sliver_bullet »

Wish there is a 2D/D switch mode where the 2D  using NATO Symbol  , that will be perfect ..

Any way will be buying this as well , it too PG alike to pass this one up

Return to “Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia”