Demo blue screen

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.
hondo1375

Demo blue screen

Post by hondo1375 »

Hi, I've run the demo successfully about three times, but on the last occasion when I double clicked on the desktop link I got the BSD. First time ever for this computer after nearly a year of stable running. I can't give you more info than that unfortunately as I didn't get to see the screen dump before it rebooted. Is there a dump file somewhere I can send?

Edited note: I've investigated this further and I DON'T think the problem has anything to do with the game.
First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
LordJekky

RE: Demo blue screen

Post by LordJekky »

The game itself wouldn't be able to finish writing it's log file if there was a BSOD unfortunately. that being said, windows should have written a copy of the error to the event log (search for more information about it, it's a bit much to go into detail about it here).

If you can find that, you can get some information like the error code, i don't know if it'll be much use, but in such cases it's all the information that's usually available.

In my experience though, only 2 things are likely to cause the BSOD - faulty hardware, or faulty drivers. In very rare cases software suck as a game can cause it, although this is the first time i've heard of conquest doing anything like this..

In any case, i think the best thing you can do is look up the error in the event log.. at least then there's a place to start looking for answers.
hondo1375

Post by hondo1375 »

Here's the system event. I can send you the minidump if you like.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 05/09/2009
Time: 21:07:21
User: N/A
Computer: XXXX
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xea4f93c8, 0x00000000, 0xbfb1c491, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini090509-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.
LordJekky

Post by LordJekky »

stop code 0x50 means "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" - loosely translated it means something that should have been in memory wasn't there.

most likely cause of it is faulty RAM, then possibly device drivers (if you installed or updated anything recently, hardware or drivers, that's where i would start looking - i would also run a memory test with memtest - http://www.memtest.org/).

As i said originally, it's not very likely that it was conquest specifically that caused this (although it is possible - as stated in another thread, the demo is old code, and not very stable). We are working to release an updated demo based on the more stable 1.7 version, so if it turns out not to be hardware or drivers, you will be able to get the new demo soon anyway.

Return to “Tech Support”