WitP AE

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Daveion Steel

WitP AE

Post by Daveion Steel »

I hope you all do think that I am as tight as a ducks you know what.

I have not bought a game for some years now, in fact the last game I bought was the original WitP upon its release. I wish to purchase the latest Admirals edition and have used the code to get $20 off the list price. But I am so amazed what the list price is... £55.99 plus a fee for the extended download service (what is that anyway?) and ofc the dreaded VAT and postage.
So after all is considered and my discount deducted the game is still sitting at over £50 with postage... Did I miss something or did inflation hit the roof these last few years?

I do appreciate that Matrix and the developers have to make money to continue to programme these great titles but I still think that this is a little too high a price tag for a re-release of an existing game, and I appreciate all the extra's and and the new map etc, but the core of the game has existed for some time now and it is not a complete rewrite afaik.

I guess I'll have to save a few more pennies for this game as I really thought the game would retail at around £40 which is still about 25 to 50% higher than most games I see on the shelves today.

I will be buying the new War in Russia game upon release, regardless of price as I have been awaiting that for so long now I care not to remember.

Flame away or better still convince me that Admirals Edition is worth the extra isk.

D...
Canoerebel

RE: WitP AE

Post by Canoerebel »

Most of us that purchase WitP and AE will play hundreds or thousands of hours over many years. The cost is well worth it. Like you, I've only purchased two games (in my case, since 2003): these two. That means I've spent about $150 or so on gaming in six years, while playing for thousands of hours, and thinking about the game for many thousand more. Is it worth it? Yes.

Secondly, this is a specialty item, not a mass-marketed and produced game. It is a niche market. Niche markets are more expensive.

Third, nobody forces consumers to buy the game. If you want it, buy it. If not, don't.

If you still think it isn't worth it, try creating a competing game that you can sell to yourself and others. I'm sure you'll immediately conclude that you'd rather buy and play the game than spend the time needed to come up with something on your own.

If the price for the game isn't fair, most people won't buy it. But they are, meaning they think it's worth it.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

What 50 pounds can and can't buy[;)]
Half a Premier League game, if that were possible.
15 pints (London), that'd cheer you up.
Weekly Zone 1-6 Travelcard, get you to all the beautiful and not so beautiful places in London
5 redone movies, that have been reinvented for the new gen.
A meal for two at a lousy restaurant, with mountains of chips on the side, and top ... well all over actually.
50 Kg of banana's, then you could sing the "one banana, two banana ..." song
50 Ltr of gas, thank god for that North Sea Oil - huh ?
10 miles in a London taxi - only to realise you're heading to Wimbeldon via Slough
Inflation, ha you're havin' a laugh!
Daveion Steel

Post by Daveion Steel »

If you still think it isn't worth it, try creating a competing game that you can sell to yourself and others. I'm pretty sure you'll conclude almost immediatley that the price for the game is fair.

Are you upset or something because that was really not constructive

Re-read my post to see that I expected to pay more for this 'Niche market product', just not 150% more than a mass marketed game. Most new games are around £20 here in Blighty. So without said discount this specialality game would infact be almost 250% more.

Also, I asked why we have to pay an extra fee to DL the game? It may only be £3 including VAT but still I do not understand why this charge is in place. I am sure it was not in place when I purchased the original WitP with digital download and boxed game.

I have been Visiting this site since it first opened and about the only games here then was WIR and a half dozen other titles at best. My original account name was Strategyman and I mostly frequented the WIR forums but as I no longer have that Email addy and cannot recall my password I was forced to rejoin. Nevermind.

I undoubtably will purchase this game, just not this week. [;)]

D...
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

What 50 pounds can and can't buy
Half a Premier League game, if that were possible.
15 pints (London), that'd cheer you up.
Weekly Zone 1-6 Travelcard, get you to all the beautiful and not so beautiful places in London
5 redone movies, that have been reinvented for the new gen.
A meal for two at a lousy restaurant, with mountains of chips on the side, and top ... well all over actually.
50 Kg of banana's, then you could sing the "one banana, two banana ..." song
50 Ltr of gas, thank god for that North Sea Oil - huh ?
10 miles in a London taxi - only to realise you're heading to Wimbeldon via Slough
Inflation, ha you're havin' a laugh!
[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
And SO True!!!

The WITP/AE engine is one i have just discovered having spent a fortune in recent years on so called state of the art games, just to get bored and disillusioned with most of them within a month or two.
I only have HOI3 and Civ 4 Complete on my HD now alongside WPO, and WITP AE that I got from Matrix in the past month or so and feel I am barely scratching the surface.

It is DEFINATELY worth the price.

Cheers
Ian
"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
devoncop

Post by devoncop »

And by the way..........you dont pay extra to download the game...its the 2Extended Download" facility you pay for....

"I do not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
Daveion Steel

Post by Daveion Steel »

[quote]ORIGINAL: devoncop

And by the way..........you dont pay extra to download the game...its the 2Extended Download" facility you pay for....

[/quote

Ok, so what is the extended DL? you get more? or can dl multiple times?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

You can redownload. DL once and burn to a CD and you don't need it at all.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Talking of flames, I'll put my suit on now!
ORIGINAL: Daveion Steel

I have not bought a game for some years now, in fact the last game I bought was the original WitP upon its release. I wish to purchase the latest Admirals edition and have used the code to get $20 off the list price. But I am so amazed what the list price is... £55.99 plus a fee for the extended download service (what is that anyway?) and ofc the dreaded VAT and postage.

The 'extended download service' is, frankly, a rip-off (for which I blame DR, not Matrix). No so much that its there as an option (that no sane or sensible person should need anyway), but that it defaults to it. Make sure it is unchecked, and burn a couple of copies on CD making sure you include a text file with the serial number while you are at it. Obviously, if you are ordering a physical copy the 'facility' is even more pointless.
So after all is considered and my discount deducted the game is still sitting at over £50 with postage... Did I miss something or did inflation hit the roof these last few years?

It might be worse; recent UK prices have been set at even worse exchange rates and it takes a while sometimes before they are revised. Nonetheless, AE is not an ordinary game at the ordinary price.
I do appreciate that Matrix and the developers have to make money to continue to programme these great titles but I still think that this is a little too high a price tag for a re-release of an existing game, and I appreciate all the extra's and and the new map etc, but the core of the game has existed for some time now and it is not a complete rewrite afaik.

It's actually rather more of one than first appears! Regardless, I agree it is somewhat overpriced, and newcomers must have been put off in droves as human nature not to have 'second best' would put most off what is actually a very sensible option of buying the original WitP at a generous discount instead. The simple fact, though, is that pricing would have been determined by the willingness to pay of existing WitP owners many of whom would have paid considerably more and to whom, no doubt, the game is worth considerably more. For me, it was pretty much on the margins although, unlike the 'Emperor's Edition' of CoG, on the right side of them.
I will be buying the new War in Russia game upon release, regardless of price as I have been awaiting that for so long now I care not to remember.

Me too. But the reasons for the pricing are just the same. Ditto WiF.
Flame away or better still convince me that Admirals Edition is worth the extra isk.

I'll raise my head above the parapet and say that, for you, it probably isn't. The simple reason is that you own WitP, and are even raising the question (I assume you know full well what is new and different in AE). If you were getting the 'hundreds and thousands of hours' out of WitP you wouldn't have posted, you would have paid. If you aren't, I doubt you will get them from AE either.

AttuWatcher

Post by AttuWatcher »

D...

It's worth the extra isk
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

D...

No flames here but I'm getting the feeling that the new WIR might be moved off my 'must buy' list. Maybe not for you or anyone else but after reading through the forums hosted here, I've cooled off considerably.

I have yet to wander over to the WitP AE forums yet and see what the gang thinks of it.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: FAsea

D...

It's worth the extra isk

I'd agree, except I don't know what an "isk" is...
Gommer

Post by Gommer »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Um, the unit of currency in Eve-Online? Perhaps something in the real world too, like that would matter [;)]
Daveion Steel

Post by Daveion Steel »

Did I say isk, I did didn't I, lol. Yes the currency of Eve online (also the RL currency of Iceland) and the one game that takes up far more of my time now than WitP ever did.

I have spent the entire day reading the forums and I am almost committed to purchasing this game, even if just to add a HUGE game to my collection. I do still play WitP from time to time but the AI lets it down an aweful lot and I tried several pbem games but they always ended with players not willing to carry on or saying I have RL issues atm and cannot play for a few weeks. Its surprising how often that happens tbh.

I'll probably play only the main Campaign, and play with the editor more. The editor in the original was overly complex and I found on occassion that the AI would not use the new ships I had added to the IJN to make my life as the allies harder. I understand that these issues have at long last been ironed out and the AI greatly improved.

Fly Safe

D...
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Well, if you feel let down by the stock WitP AI (we all do), then AE will be a pleasant surprise for you.
AttuWatcher

Post by AttuWatcher »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

ORIGINAL: FAsea

D...

It's worth the extra isk

Did I say isk, I did didn't I, lol. Yes the currency of Eve online (also the RL currency of Iceland)

DUH!! [8|] [:D]
Daveion Steel

Post by Daveion Steel »

Hmmm, I have decided to just buy the game, and worry about my wife going ape later when she notices the CC bill.

I really hope you guys are right about the AI.

Thanks though for your help.

D...

ps, if you play Eve, don't shoot me :P
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

The AI in AE is vastly improved....even to the point of being devious and under handed. I find that it can still make me say "WTF just happened and where did that come from". And this from a long time PBEM only player.

Try the Ironman mod for an even harder AI.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
The 'extended download service' is, frankly, a rip-off (for which I blame DR, not Matrix). No so much that its there as an option (that no sane or sensible person should need anyway), but that it defaults to it. Make sure it is unchecked, and burn a couple of copies on CD making sure you include a text file with the serial number while you are at it. Obviously, if you are ordering a physical copy the 'facility' is even more pointless.

Sadly my cd-burner is on the blink, so rather than paying a whole lot more for a physical copy (UK exchange rate hurt enough for digital only), I do use that facility as a 'backup'.

What bugs me about it and what I didn't realise until downloading AE, is that it actually is time limited. Other retail sites allow unlimited free downloads no matter how long since you bought the game. And it doesn't actually cost you more either.

---

And just to go back to the OP, AE's AI makes it a worthwhile investment. Big brownie points for the developers for the work they put into that.
String

Post by String »

Did I say isk, I did didn't I, lol. Yes the currency of Eve online (also the RL currency of Iceland) and the one game that takes up far more of my time now than WitP ever did.

[:D]

Greetings from CVA and PIE Inc. btw ;)
Surface combat TF fanboy

Return to “General Discussion”