I took the plunge

Conquest! Medieval Realms, developed by Illustrious Software, is a turn-based game that combines the pure strategic gameplay of Chess and the key principles of military strategy in a historical setting. The objective is to conquer up to 7 opposing AI or human players by defeating their armies and capturing their lands. To gain supremacy, players will need to unite their spread out lands, build a roaring economy, and raise powerful armies to divide and conquer their enemies. Boost your income via markets and mines, upgrade your armies with stables and archery fields, or amass a large force, but sound strategy and careful thought will help you more than brute force.
NefariousKoel

I took the plunge

Post by NefariousKoel »

So.. I'm always open to a tabletop-style game that's easy to get into as a nice getaway from the larger fare. Especially at this price.

After playing Montjoie! and Blood Bowl (two wonderfully fun games), I noticed that this has no die rolls. Which is nice after having some of those repeatedly bad runs of rolls decimate me.

Anyway, I'll likely see you guys for some multiplayer soon once I figure out the flow of things. [;)]
sabre1

RE: I took the plunge

Post by sabre1 »

Nefarious,

I purchased and downloading as I type. I figured this was a good game to put on my old XP 1.2 centrino laptop with 2 GB of ram.

I hope the tutorial works. I hate games that don't have good tutorials.

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

If you think dice rolls are bad you should play a game of PC Mille Bornes. When you get nothing but miles and fix cards and no GO cards drives me nuts. One of the more frustrating but fun games I play lately. You swear the ai is cheating after you've beat it 2-3 games in a row badly and then all of a sudden it starts catching up and you get crummy cards. But, you know a game is good/great when you start talking to the screen and yelling "haha I beat you you sorry cheating #%#&#" ai. Either that or you're going insane. [:'(]
Now as far as this game goes. The demo was excellent and I'm still contemplating getting it. I was waiting on patches and feedback as we all know these games are never ready upon release. I'm also looking at Field of Glory and that damn addicting space trading adventure game that has boring as hell combat sequences Smuggler IV.
Conquest is easy to play sabre1 but you have to keep an eye on your supply and keep it from getting disrupted as you can be winning and then be losing as you lose everything in front of a supply line break and those can be devastating. Build markets and castles early and you will do well.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Thanks Killroyishere.

I am just looking and poking around at this point. I'm mainly playing that Smugglers game.

When I click on the tutorial all I get is a screen with the rules. Is that all there is to the tutorial?

Even when a game is not full price they should still give you a few turns with an explanation of what is happening. That is not to much to ask for.
LordJekky

Post by LordJekky »

We did try having a proper tutorial early in development of the game, but it proved to be too complex for what is basically a very simple game - there are very few rules and the tutorial always felt like overkill, so we decided to go with a simple page explaining the rules instead.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

LordJekky,

Thanks for responding, it is appreciated. Maybe at least you could provide an AAR with screen shots and an explanation that takes you through a few game turns that show you building and improving things with the why and why nots, and then make it a sticky on this forum. A walkthrough tutorial could be very helpful in promoting your product.

Your presence on this forum is very much appreciated, and shows support for your game. Thank you!
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

OK, I got through one skirmish on easy AI. I lost, but I think I am figuring it out. I still contend a little more than what you offered as a tutorial is advisable.

This would be an excellent game to introduce people, and young people to strategy games, but you need to make the easy level easy enough that a person can become comfortable winning and using the features of the game easily. [;)]

This way you hook them in to explore and grow into the more difficult AI's. Just my $.02 worth.

The game is fun, it's just going to take me awhile to beat the AI on easy level. [8|]

I'm obviously not a grognard. Thanks for listening, and thank you for an interesting game.

Return to “Conquest! Medieval Realms”