Efficient use of subs ?

Share your best strategies and tips with other players here.
modrow

Efficient use of subs ?

Post by modrow »

Hi everyone,

first, I'd like to thank the developers for this fun game - and for providing the Demo, which actually made me buy this game. It's a nice thing to play to relax from AE or WitP, and I like it a lot.

I haven't played very systematically so far and dived right into the game without consulting much of the manual, but one of the things I do not seem to get to run is the sub warfare when playing the Axis. All that seems to happen is that my subs are hunted down and clobbered up. They score hardly any success. Any ideas how to improve that ?

Thanks for your input

Hartwig
JFalk68

RE: Efficient use of subs ?

Post by JFalk68 »

I noticed subs hit much harder at tech 4 and 5. I sometimes place 6-8 of them in a "regular" fleet and try to inflict damage on the British fleet and other allies. It's hard to keep the Allied fleet honest because it appears in my games like in yours the Allies just destroy all my small group raider fleets with not seeing much in return.

My strategy has been to build up my Axis fleet with all the event fired ships that arrives and keep my fleet at sea doing some considerable damage to the Allies. Knocking out France and others puts less ships on the board to deal with. Once I feel I have hurt the Allies fleets I usually have to withdraw my surface ships for repairs but then I let my subs start to work on raider duty. It comes down to PP spending, how much you can do in repairs and keeping at it, whittling down the Allied wessels
Harbinger

Post by Harbinger »

Hartwig,

It does appear that sub warfare has little effect. This not necessarily the case. Check your Reports for Raider Activity to see what damage your sub groups are doing. Inflicting STP damage is important as the US and UK both need STP to maintain supply to their units away from home.

Also, the more subs one has at sea on Raider duty appears to increase the chance of the "Submarine Warfare" event firing. This event steals PP's from UK and USA! I'm not sure if the effects are directly related to how many subs you have at sea, but hey, any damage is good damage.

My usual strategy is to run 5-6 subs into a zone as Raiders to accomplish two things. One, to inflict STP damage and possibly fire the SW event. Two, as a form of recon. If the CV's are there, I'm scooting away with any survivors as fast as my diesels will allow as they possess a powerful 50% detection capability. Outa there man! I'll go Raid elsewhere and hope no CV's are in the new zone. If the CV's aren't present, I may hang around until my sub force is reduced by half, and then scoot.
Assume nothing.
Texashorns

Post by Texashorns »

You can also whittle the allied fleet down with tac bombers. Initially vs the north sea, but as you drive into France eventually you will be able to access the NE Atlantic. Tac bombers pounding on allies reduces their fleet, makes them spend pp's on repairs, and allows your fleets to engage already damaged ships.

Return to “The War Room”