So what is the Next Project?

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Hanal

So what is the Next Project?

Post by Hanal »

Just curious if Frank still haunts these boards, and if so if he is working on any new projects now? A Russian Civil War expansion pack or a Frano-Prussian War strategic sim would be nice....[;)]
SlickWilhelm

RE: So what is the Next Project?

Post by SlickWilhelm »

I was wondering the same thing. 
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Nothing to announce at the moment I'm afraid.  As usual I have a bunch of games in various states and am not sure which will be clear sailing from here on.

The subject matter is :

The Russo-Japanese War (based on Guns of August code)
The Balkan Wars (based on Guns of August code)
The Spanish Civil War (based on Guns of August code)
Napoleon's Campaigns in 1806, 1807 and 1813 (based on the Danube code)
The 1859-1871 era
The 1943-45 Sicilian and Italian campaigns
The War of Spanish Succession (Marlborough, Eugene)

Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Well Frank I must say that I would definitely purchase every one of your Guns of August code games and your 1859-1871 Era game as well..but I have to be a bit of a disappointed nag here and express regret of seeing no Russian Civil War game mentioned.... I think it would have fit very comfortably into the Guns of August code.....If I had the ability I would do it myself but I'm wanting in gaming programming skills....
FrankHunter

Post by FrankHunter »

Well my idea, being as  Balkan Wars is not big enough to be a full game and RJW isn't quite either, was to put RJW, Balkan Wars and RCW together in one package but I just don't have a working prototype of an RCW game at this time.

Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Frank, they ALL sound fabulous.
A Sharif
Jim_Grognard

Post by Jim_Grognard »

Some of those potential games in development mentioned above sound interesting, although a few of them are certainly based on more obscure wars and are more limited in scope.  I just played my first solitaire game of Guns of August- 1914-1918 which I very much enjoyed.  It reminded me a lot of the old Avalon Hill Guns of August board game, except much better. That got me thinking back to another old Avalon Hill game I enjoyed.  A strategic level computer game on a similar scale with a map of the whole of Europe simulating Frederick the Great's wars-  the Seven Years War in Europe, plus smaller campaigns for the Silesian Wars/Wars of the Austrian Succession would also make a neat computer game.
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

I'd like to see an American Civil War game based on the Guns of August code.

That would be awesome!
Jim_Grognard

Post by Jim_Grognard »

Have you tried either of the other two Matrix operational/strategic-level American Civil War games?
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Lava, I second that wish! GoA is one of a handful of games I have purchased in the last ten years which I have not grown tired of and shelved after 6 months. Although I do wish the map for GoA was a bit bigger in size, everything else about it is brilliant (number of turns & impulses, production choices, unit options, combat mechanics, etc.). Any chance of an ACW game happening Frank?
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
*Lava*

Post by *Lava* »

Indeed,

I'd like to see bigger maps as well... especially if ACW is done.

I think I'd also like the basic unit to be a division and not a corps.

- Army HQ (activates all units in adjacent hexes)
- Corps HQ (activates only units in the same hex)
- Basic units would be infantry divisions, artillery batteries and cavalry brigades.

Well... we can dream can't we?

Ray (alias Lava)
Windfire

Post by Windfire »

I would be interested in seeing a game on the American Civil War, a game on the Seven Years War in Europe and the Russian Civil war mentioned above.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

I have an idea, why don't we fix this latest patch for guns of august before we start wanting something new!!!!!!!!!!
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

would be nice to play this game if matrix would pull their head out of their ass and respond to my issue of the trench error and fix it or something. It is now going on two months and nothing has been resolved!!!
jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com

Post by jeffreysutro@jeffreysutro.com »

[font="Times New Roman"]I would favor the additional campaigns for Campaigns in the Danube. One of them (1806 I think) was previously released for the Adanac version of the game, so the project would seem likely to be reasonably straightforward. I also really like Franks' old (mid 1990s) American Civil War game and would love to see it re-released, with some updates and bug fixes as needed. [/font]
All My Best,

Jeff Sutro
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I second the call for a re-release of Frank's American Civil War game.
lettowvorbeck

Post by lettowvorbeck »

I agree. I don't like any of the recent area movement ACW strategic level games. There is definitely room in my book for a new hex based one.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

My first choice would be a Wars of German/Italian Unification game. Basically the 1859-1871 game Frank listed. Frank even had a title for it but it has been so long ago that I can't remember what it was.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

I've had a couple of emails with Frank - he's working on a WW2 game - " it covers a bunch of campaigns as separate scenarios."...take from that what you will :)

Anyway ....anyone interested in PBEM AoG in the mean time?? :)
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Pasta General

Post by Pasta General »

The Seven Year's War would be really awesome. It carries the additional advantage (in terms of marketing) of interesting both a european and an american audience. The War of the Spanish Succession might be easier to model with one side playing the gallispanns (France and Spain), the other side England (who becomes Britain in the midgame!) and the Habsburgs,

Yet another Civil War game is the last thing we need IMO

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”