Military Fiction

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Arith

Military Fiction

Post by Arith »

Hi guys. I did a search here and could not find this subject, so i figured id ask, can anyone recomend any good military fiction along the lines of Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising"? I want military action, tanks, infantry, jets, ships, anything. Preferably large battles like in "Red Storm Rising" but anything will do. Can you guys please give me some suggestions? Thanks!
- - ARITH - -
VictorH

Books

Post by VictorH »

I have a few suggestions:

Not Jets and such but try Bernard Cornwell's series of books: Sharpe's Eagle, Sharpe's Gold , etc., they are on the Napoleonic Era.

Also try Bruce Catton's books on the Civil War.

Then try Von Mansteins and Guderian's Books on WWII.
scimitar

Post by scimitar »

Try also "Once an Eagle", WWI dedicated. Sorry, don't remember the author's name...
Pour une dent toute la gueule!
antarctic

Post by antarctic »

Not Exactly Tanks and Jets, but spec ops:

The Eagle has Landed
The Eagle has Flown

Both by Jack Higgins

Also, have you tried reading other Tom Clancy Books?

Antarctic
"Quantity has a quality of its own"
-Stalin
MarkFroio

Post by MarkFroio »

Originally posted by scimitar
Try also "Once an Eagle", WWI dedicated. Sorry, don't remember the author's name...

This is a great book. In my top 5 of all the novels I've read. It was written by Anton Myrer, and the novel follows a Nebraska farm boy who joins the army and serves his country throughout the 20th century. I can't recommend this book enough.

"So in the Libyan fable it is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
'With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."

Aeschylus
Arith

military fiction

Post by Arith »

Hi guys. I have read all of Clancy's books and have never been able to find anything equal. I absolutley loved "Red Storm Rising" and would love to find something similar. I really enjoyed the armor battles. I trying to find something similar. I appreciate the suggestions, keep em coming :)
- - ARITH - -
Randy

Post by Randy »

Here is one that I thought was pretty good. It is "Proud Legions" by John Antal. Its about another N/Korean attack on the South. John Antal is a Lt. Col. and he was serving as a tank bn. CO. This is a pretty good book with all the techno/hardware stuff that we all love. One of those that once you pick it up, you won't put it down until you are finished (at least in my case). Enjoy.
Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

not sure if the market still has them handy but my all time most liked military fiction series was by W.E.B Griffin called "The Brotherhood of War.

The series begins with the Torch Landings in 42. It weaves it's way through several books ending up I think with the Vietnam War. It has a cast of characters that you see evolve.

They weave real military history into the fiction for a nice air of credibility. I think there was 8 books eventually.

The same author writes a series called The Corps (but I have not read those ones yet).
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
VictorH

Vietnam

Post by VictorH »

Excellent book on Vietnam:

Bright Shining Lie.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Look for books by Larry Bond and Harold Coyle.
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

I agree whole heartedly with the Larry Bond recommendation for modern warfare.

You should read these three for sure: Red Phoenix (N. Korea invades S. Korea. Lots of tanks, jets, artillery and infantry warfare); Vortex (S. Africa, Angola, Cuba. Tank battles in the desert. I loved the ambushes set up by the smaller tanks, the artillery, the tactics); and Cauldron (WWIII in Europe, sort of like Red Storm rising).
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Gabby

Thunbs up for Bond

Post by Gabby »

I echo the recomendation of Bond's books. IIRC He gets a backhanded credit in Red Storm, in the prolog. He is a close friend of Tom Clancy, and a former Commander in the USN.

Larry Bond, is also the author of the original Harpoon, modern naval minitures game(Which is also a computer game), and the WWII companion called Command at Sea.

As you might guess Larry is also a devoated Wargammer.

I swear my name is not Larry Bond, but I have met him once or twice. He usually attends the Origians Game convetion, held every year around the 4th of July, in Columbus Ohio.
KG Erwin

Wargamer.com

Post by KG Erwin »

Arith, please go over to http://wargamer.com and check out the forums. Join up, there's a discussion about that very subject that's generated some responses (mine included). We'd love to have you come over & visit. Don't worry, Matrix/Wargamer are in partnership, not competition.
A_B

Post by A_B »

I think Larry Bond writes a much better military situation than Clancy, hands down. Clancy is better at the spy stuff, and politics, but who cares about that.

Coyle is ok. I like his civil war stuff. His Modern combat series is too politically correct. He has a woman Infantry leader as one of the military Heroes. I got out of the military in ’92. There is NO WAY a platoon of infantry soldiers would have accepted a woman platoon leader the way they did in the book. Coyle must have spent too much time in a Staff job (he was active duty army when he wrote the book) when he thought that up. The troops do follow her, of course, and she leads a bayonet charge and saves the day. I stopped reading his books after that.
Unconventional war requires unconventional thought
Possum

Post by Possum »

For Excellent military Science fiction on small scale conflicts read
A Small Colonial War, Fire in a Faraway Place, and Cain's Land
all by Robert Frezza.
"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Not sure you will find them, as they are paperbacks I bought in the late 80's.

But I have a collection of I think 9 books that are collections of short stories all titled There Will Be War and always had a theme for the specific novel.

They started as earth based, then near space, then deep space, then colonial revolution, and all manner of topical matters.

Interswoven through the books is actual hard core non fiction as well. Serious dialogue on the realities of warfare under varying conditions. And I dare say material with more substance than is commonplace.

If you missed these books, you missed the best of the best in my opinion.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
thantis

Post by thantis »

I can definitely recommend any of Larry Bond's novels (though some are more spy stuff/Clancy oriented), but you can read the jackets to make sure you have the right ones - Red Phoenix, Vortex, and Cauldron are all great.

I can also recommend Arc Light, Protect & Defend, and Invasion by Eric Harry. Not the best out there, but a pretty good read nonetheless.

As far as Coyle is concerned, he lost me after The Ten Thousand. I find it hard to believe the US public would stand by and watch Germany try to annihilate an entire Corps of US troops....Team Yankee was his best work, but definitely went downhill from there (just like Clancy as far I'm concerned - RSR was his best work, but I believe Larry Bond did most of the real writing).
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon.....
troopie

Post by troopie »

The Paul Frezza books are great, but whenever his people are supposed to be speaking Afrikaans, they are actually speaking Nederlands. A minor linquistic quibble.

Pournelle's Mercenary series is good, but it ended the way I thought it would. "Mercenary captains are either very capable men or they are not. If they are, you cannot rely on them. For they will always desire their own glory, either by oppressing you, or oppressing others against your designs. But if a mercenary captain is not an able man, he will generally ruin you."

troopie
Pamwe Chete
DougAngle

Post by DougAngle »

Max is correct about 'Once and Eagle'. It is required reading at the acadamies. It is a great text for studying leadership. It goes from WW I thru Vietnam. Stephen Coontz and Dale Brown also write in the same vane as Clancy.
MarkFroio

The Thin Red Line

Post by MarkFroio »

I almost forgot this classic. The book is much better than the movie. In fact, I really thought the movie was terrible. I read the book and then saw the movie and was very disappointed by the movie. If you've only seen the movie, don't be fooled. Do yourself a favor and read the book.

The Thin Red Line - James Jones

Return to “General Discussion”