How Do I Play In Windowed Mode?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mark24

How Do I Play In Windowed Mode?

Post by mark24 »

As per the title?

Mark
1EyedJacks

RE: How Do I Play In Windowed Mode?

Post by 1EyedJacks »

add a -w to the program naime in the shortcut - something like below - note the -w for window mode.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

The WhatsNew.pdf file gives you all the command line switches.
mark24

Post by mark24 »

didn't work :(
mark24

Post by mark24 »

Got it, thanks guys :)
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

So - when you click Start button\All Programs\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition

you should see a short cut to War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition (Quick Start)

Right-click on it and you should see a Properites Tab

You will see a field under the shortcut tab called Target: and in the field it should have something like:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

Add a space -w to the line so it looks like:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w

This should give you the window mode.

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

How do you know if its working? I don't see where I can make a smaller window or slide it across the screen like a window.
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

How do you know if its working? I don't see where I can make a smaller window or slide it across the screen like a window.

Good question..I tried it this morning and am not seeing the familiar windows "sizing" boxes at the top right corner??

Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger

Good question..I tried it this morning and am not seeing the familiar windows "sizing" boxes at the top right corner??

Glad to see someone else in my boat. Welcome aboard, and if you figure it out let me know.

Japan AC wire chart here
dpazuk

Post by dpazuk »

Check out the Tech Support forum for this topic.

I, and others, had the same issues. The game supports windowed mode, to a point. If you are expecting to re-size the window, this is not supported. At least it never worked for me.

Scaling issues, either a result of my monitor/graphics card and/or the game itself, would result in graphical gibberish when I attempted to re-size the window which, IMHO, defeats the purpose of having a windowed mode to begin with.

I just gave up and play the game in full screen mode.

Blah Blah Blah
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

since I´ve got my 24" monitor I was running WITP windowed, the problem is it seems to have a very small window... [8|] The window is similar to a 12" monitor, just too small to enjoy playing it. But it isn´t nice to play on a 24" either as the resolution of WITP is like on an ancient atari... not up to date (not even nearly). While to some extend I could understand it for WITP, it´s a mistery to me why they release AE and it also can´t be played on an up to date equipment. Well, before someone shouts me down, of course it can be played... looks good... [8|]
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: dpazuk

Check out the Tech Support forum for this topic.

I, and others, had the same issues. The game supports windowed mode, to a point. If you are expecting to re-size the window, this is not supported. At least it never worked for me.

Scaling issues, either a result of my monitor/graphics card and/or the game itself, would result in graphical gibberish when I attempted to re-size the window which, IMHO, defeats the purpose of having a windowed mode to begin with.

I just gave up and play the game in full screen mode.

same here, if you try to rescale it, you "kill" the graphics... and the window is just too small to enjoy playing. And 24" is too big for the ancient resolution, not enjoying it either. Guess people visiting me would call me stupid if I would have kept my old 19" monitor just to play this game...
Kumppi

Post by Kumppi »

The game is hard coded to use 1024x768 resolution so even if played in windowed mode you only get that 1024x768 window. Trying to resize the window doesn't change that fact.

I'm playing the game with my 22" monitor and find the windowed mode very useful. I use WitpStaff and photoshop to plan my moves and it would be terrible if I would have to alt+tab all the time.

It would be cool if the game supported higher resolutions, but I don't care that much. I can play just fine.
dpazuk

Post by dpazuk »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

since I´ve got my 24" monitor I was running WITP windowed, the problem is it seems to have a very small window... [8|] The window is similar to a 12" monitor, just too small to enjoy playing it. But it isn´t nice to play on a 24" either as the resolution of WITP is like on an ancient atari... not up to date (not even nearly). While to some extend I could understand it for WITP, it´s a mistery to me why they release AE and it also can´t be played on an up to date equipment. Well, before someone shouts me down, of course it can be played... looks good... [8|]

I share your pain :) I play on a 19" monitor and the window is too small even for me.

I wish they could have implemented the map and scaling, much like was done with GG's War Between the States. You can play that title in windowed mode, and can re-size the window and the map will scale beautifully.

A small annoyance for me, but definitely not a game breaker.
Blah Blah Blah
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Kumppi

The game is hard coded to use 1024x768 resolution so even if played in windowed mode you only get that 1024x768 window. Trying to resize the window doesn't change that fact.

I'm playing the game with my 22" monitor and find the windowed mode very useful. I use WitpStaff and photoshop to plan my moves and it would be terrible if I would have to alt+tab all the time.

It would be cool if the game supported higher resolutions, but I don't care that much. I can play just fine.

my window is definetely a lot smaller than the 1024x768, or better say smaller than a monitor that usually uses this resolution. IIRC I had this resolution even on a 17" monitor many years ago. If it would be a window 4:3 with the size of a 17" monitor I would not have a problem at all. But at the moment it just looks awfully and it´s just far too small for me. And no, my eyes work just fine. So far at least, if I keep playing the game, I probably will ruin my eyes. To me it looks like a 12" monitor at best. Very small. [:(]

Kumppi

Post by Kumppi »

You window is not smaller than 1024x768 pixels, but naturally it looks small if you have a desktop resolution of 1680x1050 and up. Yes, I do agree it would be nice if the game supported bigger resolutions, but I don't think that was never on the agenda of the AE team. This game is heavily based on the old witp engine. Technically bit backward, but still kicking arse! [:)]
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Kumppi

You window is not smaller than 1024x768 pixels, but naturally it looks small if you have a desktop resolution of 1680x1050 and up. Yes, I do agree it would be nice if the game supported bigger resolutions, but I don't think that was never on the agenda of the AE team. This game is heavily based on the old witp engine. Technically bit backward, but still kicking arse! [:)]

this is how it looks like

Attachments
Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg (184.59 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Well I am on a SyncMaster 225bw, Samsung. (22") and I run 1024x768 and it looks fine to me. (widescreen)
Now my computer is getting older so I never adjust the resolution. I probably could go higher.
Any HOO try to adjust your screen resolution and see how it looks on your bigger monitors. I'm just curious to know. [&:]

Japan AC wire chart here
Kumppi

Post by Kumppi »

Hanzberger: You use 1024x768 as a desktop resolution in a 22" widescreen monitor? [X(] You must really have an old computer then. My computer is about 5 years old, with a 2 year old graphics card (Radeon x1650). I can comortably use 1680x1050 as a desktop resolution. Playing games with that resolution is a different story altogether.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Let me get this straight.  Adding -w didn't work on my end.  That's because my screen resolution is 1900x400 and not 1024x768.
The game forces the resize so there's not windowed effect?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”