Question re. weather display

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RHoenig

Question re. weather display

Post by RHoenig »

I am about one week into the GC, scen 1

Looking at the map, I can´t fail to notice that all the clouds tend to stick over my taskforces and bases.

Now, am I correct in asuming, that the clouds are only displayed over bases/units of my own or over reconed enemy bases?
Because if not, I will have to invent a way to remove that strange statical charge on my ships/base buildings, that keep those clouds clinging on and prevent my planes from flying.
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany
jazman

RE: Question re. weather display

Post by jazman »

I wish there were a way to see the weather on the map while I'm making my move. I know I can click on the hex and see the forecast, but it'd be nice to click on a button to turn a visual display on/off.
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Correct, weather is only shown for bases/TFs and not for empty hexes.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
jazman

Post by jazman »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

That makes sense, FOW ("fog" of weather), but am I missing something? I can only see clouds while the turn is playing out, not while I am staring at the map, making my moves.
RHoenig

Post by RHoenig »

ORIGINAL: jazman

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

That makes sense, FOW ("fog" of weather), but am I missing something? I can only see clouds while the turn is playing out, not while I am staring at the map, making my moves.

I don´t think so, that´s what I actualy meant to say in my original question: during turn resolution.
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany
Kumppi

Post by Kumppi »

I wish there were a way to see the weather on the map while I'm making my move. I know I can click on the hex and see the forecast, but it'd be nice to click on a button to turn a visual display on/off.

Press 3 and you get a letter on every hex which tells you the forecast for that hex. I think its better than visual representation which would just clutter the map.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: Kumppi

Press 3 and you get a letter on every hex which tells you the forecast for that hex. I think its better than visual representation which would just clutter the map.

That is just the forecast, it is not the actual weather experienced during the turn execution. The latter is represented by the clouds over the bases and TFs during game turn resolution.
fair winds,
Brad
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Ahhhh...I was getting bloody amazed at how those Allied TFs attracted the only clouds for hundreds of miles. [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
jazman

Post by jazman »

ORIGINAL: Kumppi

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for, I guess I need to hit the manual and learn the hotkeys.
Reg

Post by Reg »

When the cloud marker was introduced into UV with version 2.30(??), it was simply a base closed (no fly) marker to visually flag (during the combat resolution phase) that air missions were canceled in that hex due to weather and originally looked like a Ghostbusters symbol. This carried over into WITP and now AE.

The cloud marker was just easier on the eye and were never an attempt to simulate realistic weather patterns.

Edit in italics above:
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”