Scenario Requests

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

moonraker65

Scenario Requests

Post by moonraker65 »

Could we possibly have requests for Scenarios to be done ? I would like to see a later start Grand Campaign. Probably May 1st '42 for starters followed by '43 and '44 starts.
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card
RyanCrierie

RE: Scenario Requests

Post by RyanCrierie »

Yes, I agree on 1943/1944 starts for the Grand Campaign.
SvenNyqvist

Post by SvenNyqvist »

In WitP I tend to use the May 1 1942 for Japan and August 42 for the allies
Nail78

Post by Nail78 »

Yep some later starts too the grand campaign would be nice. With the 41 Campaign it's gonna be hard too ever get too play with the cool stuff that is available in the later years of the war.
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

urrrgh thats a real swine of a research job - I mean almost like redoing everything we did for scen 1 - not saying its impossible but given the difficulty of just finding Indian Army sources for 41 getting them for different start dates is almost impossible.

Its not an easy thing you are asking for - not to mention a pretty hefty AI re write - just doing one of those scenarios is 3 months minimum of OOB work and maybe the same (I am guessing) of AI work....
moonraker65

Post by moonraker65 »

A good source of info for a May 1st '42 GC might be NikMod Scenario 145 for CHS on WiTP Vanilla using Andrew's map. Have been playing this a lot recently.
intel i9 13900k 128 GB RAM, RTX 4070 ti GFx card
Jonathan Pollard

Post by Jonathan Pollard »

April 19th 1943 would make for a good starting date. It's the day after Yamamoto was killed, and if you're the Japanese it's the exact time that you'd be needed to replace him.
spence

Post by spence »

I would like to see a Rising Sun Scenario (conquest of the PI, DEI, and Malaya). Frankly it is something like amazing that the Japanese conquered so much in so little time. If nothing else it would be a nice 100 or so turn game. Sure the Allies are likely to lose (as far as an objective evaluation of actual losses is concerned). But if one balanced the victory conditions correctly committing arriving reinforcements to the defense of Java, etc. might become a real decision point for the scenario: the 7th AIF Div in Java would seriously hurt Japanese prospects while at the same time proving very vulnerable getting there. Could be fun.
Yamato_Hugger

Post by Yamato_Hugger »

I'm someone who gives this game a 9.5/10. But I was rather disappointed to find how few scenarios came with the game. Infact that was the only thing I was really disappointed at. I don't know i'm probably alone in my views [:'(]

The may '42 scenario would be nice to have back. It would actually improve the game overall, especially in terms of replay value. Sometimes starting in 1941 is just to tedious of an undertaking and it becomes rather mundane and repetative. It's all a pre-defined track, basically. Sometimes you just have no motive to do it and you find yourself wanting to start when the real battles begin. The battles that aren't completely one sided. And where it isn't just inevitable captures and victories by Japan of all the same places as 50 times before that you can read in every AAR ever written.

I mean not much changes in this game from actual history when you start in the 1941 scenario. It's all an easy, predictable and repetative steam roller. Either way the Jap player definitely has to stick to a pre-defined strategic plan. AKA capturing and securing all the resource rich territories possible. AKA the same ones as they did in real life. at least 90% of them. It's always just in different order with minor differences hardly worth mentioning.

Since that's all just inevitable capturing and basically the same thing every time the 1942 was always the best. You could bypass all that nonsense. It would especially be nice in AE given the incredible improvements and additions that have been implemented.

If i had the time I would create the may 1942 scenario myself. If anyone wants to make it I would like to help in any way I can.
waynec

Post by waynec »

ORIGINAL: Yamato_Hugger

I'm someone who gives this game a 9.5/10. But I was rather disappointed to find how few scenarios came with the game. Infact that was the only thing I was really disappointed at. I don't know i'm probably alone in my views [:'(]

The may '42 scenario would be nice to have back. It would actually improve the game overall, especially in terms of replay value. Sometimes starting in 1941 is just to tedious of an undertaking and it becomes rather mundane and repetative. It's all a pre-defined track, basically. Sometimes you just have no motive to do it and you find yourself wanting to start when the real battles begin. The battles that aren't completely one sided. And where it isn't just inevitable captures and victories by Japan of all the same places as 50 times before that you can read in every AAR ever written.

i am also disappointed in the number of smaller scenarios missing in ae that were in WitP. i don't have the time or focus to play a campaign game from '41 on. i really enjoyed the may42-feb43 scenario in WitP. also liked coral sea staring from noumera.
is it possible to start a game ai vs ai and stop it at a certain point and change to us human vs japanese ai (like you can in TOAW3). doesn't look like it from a quick test. too bad. i could play campaign from dec-may42 and then take over as the allies.
If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: waynec

ORIGINAL: Yamato_Hugger

i am also disappointed in the number of smaller scenarios missing in ae that were in WitP. i don't have the time or focus to play a campaign game from '41 on. i really enjoyed the may42-feb43 scenarioin WitP. also liked coral sea staring from noumera.
is it possible to start a game ai vs ai and stop it at a certain point and change to us human vs japanese ai (like you can in TOAW3). doesn't look like it from a quick test. too bad. i could play campaign from dec-may42 and then take over as the allies.

My understanding from the original WitP is that it's certainly possible, but that the situation when you take over will be different from the historical May 1942. Note also that the ai doesn't quite play by the same rules as the player does - Andy could tell you more here. Again in the original, base forces would expand, for example.

But it certainly used to be possible, if you allow for and accept the above. I used to do it often, 'roleplaying' that I'd been brought in to command after the disasters of December to April... [;)] But back then part of the reason for waiting until May was that it was the earliest the British could upgrade their air units. This isn't the case any more.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
waynec

Post by waynec »

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

i am also disappointed in the number of smaller scenarios missing in ae that were in WitP. i don't have the time or focus to play a campaign game from '41 on. i really enjoyed the may42-feb43 scenarioin WitP. also liked coral sea staring from noumera.

My understanding from the original WitP is that it's certainly possible, but that the situation when you take over will be different from the historical May 1942. Note also that the ai doesn't quite play by the same rules as the player does - Andy could tell you more here. Again in the original, base forces would expand, for example.

But it certainly used to be possible, if you allow for and accept the above. I used to do it often, 'roleplaying' that I'd been brought in to command after the disasters of December to April... [;)] But back then part of the reason for waiting until May was that it was the earliest the British could upgrade their air units. This isn't the case any more.

Steve.

i do understand it could be very different than how the actual war played out to that date. i would also look at it as coming in to take over after the previous commader in chief was "killed in a plane crash" or otherwise removed.

Attachments
bannerqua..rdeck01.jpg
bannerqua..rdeck01.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 289 times
If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.
fcam1387

Post by fcam1387 »

A "first year" campaign and / or one that focuses on the capture of the SRA would be desirable, in my humble opinion.
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

A couple of additional smaller scenarios would also be nice. Midway, the Marianes, the Leyte campaign, Operation Olympic/Coronet...
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

OK yes you can do this and it will work but a few things I would recomend if you are going to do it.

I did this a lot when testing the late war AI btw its a lot of fun.

I assume you are proposing run the game AI v AI for 9 months and then take over at that point ? if yes I would recommend a list of house rules for yourself when doing it.

1. You will have a massive PP balance but the AI will in all liklihood have units that are restricted in unrestricted locations - the Ai doesnt use PP's and ignores restricted commands. So action 1 is spend your PP balance getting all units converted that need to be converted.

2. Depending on when you take over the AI may be below the Manchurian Garriosn level assuming you dont want the soviets active and are planning on taking over the Japanese side either mod the scenario to iuncrease thre Japanese strenght in Manchuria about 1500 points or plan on moving some forces overland from China into Manchuria immediately

3. Any unit you cannot or are unable to buy out with PP's moves to the least offensive location you can find and stays there often they can move to China overland replacing the forces you had to move into Manchuria.

4. Play PDU OFF the AI often ends up with some weird surpluses in aircraft because of the way upgrades work

5. When running the game AI v AI run it on historic difficulty level to minimise the AI only adjustments.

Do this and allow 2 - 3 weeks of turns to sort out what you inherit and its a great way to get a good game.

If taking over as the allies its a lot easier as the Allied AI doenst postion units as early as the Japanese AI as reaction forces

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

Steve.

i do understand it could be very different than how the actual war played out to that date. i would also look at it as coming in to take over after the previous commader in chief was "killed in a plane crash" or otherwise removed.

Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

p.s. I do this a lot even now you can run a game all the way to 1/44 to take over from after that it gets a bit weird so if you want to play 44/45/46 but dont want to sit through 41/42/43 you can set the game running AI v AI on Historic difficulty level take over about 10/43 to give yourself a few months to reorganise and its a whole new game
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

Thanks for the tips Andy. I look forward to trying them at some point soon!
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

I'd like a Midway scenario, and the 1944 campaign game that started June 1944. I was getting some great practice in managing major invasions.[&o]. I had a great game going when the Japanese snuck the Shohkaku, Zuikaku and other carriers in past Palau and threatened my forces in New Guinea

Don't see much value in the 1000 Mile War N. Pacific scenario[:(]

Chris
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
John S

Post by John S »

I received the game (physical copy) last Friday and I have to say that I was very disappointed to see that a Campaign Game for '43 (as well as Campaigns for other dates) was not included.  I really expected that we would have the same choices as to where to start the game that we had in WIP.   Perhaps there was an earlier warning of this to the readers of this forum (I am, admittedly, only a "sometimes" reader of the posts) but this came as a complete surprise to me.  I did not ever anticipate that this would be an area that was not part of the new product development. 
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

The scenarios in WITP-AE were discussed in a bunch of posts.

I am sorry you missed these.

We all live and learn, never assume anything.
Flipper

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”