New to forum some questions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

pmn25

New to forum some questions

Post by pmn25 »

Hi

I just had some questions. I am looking at two games WPO and WINTP: AE. Now I loved PTO II for those who remeber, I was just wondering if I would enjoy the two aforementioned games they look similar. I stumbled upon these games for searching for games similar to PTO II. I am really intrigued by WPO. Thanks in advance for the help
WingedIncubus

RE: New to forum some questions

Post by WingedIncubus »

Having played both PTO I and PTO II when I was a kid, comparing WITP:AE to PTO II is like comparing a Dual-Core Processor to a Pentium 4. WITP:AE is THE ultimate Pacific War wargame available until now, in sheer details, scope, and, logistics. In PTO II the player had only the control of the Navy, while in WITP:AE you have the control over everything related to the conduct of the war: Army, Navy, Airforces, Merchants, Logistics, Production, etc.

Many things in PTO II were simplified, while it isn't the case in WITP:AE. Logistics in PTO II, for instance, was left to the player to use his or her imagination. However, WITP:AE is lightyears away in complexity and micromanagement than KOEI's PTO II, and for its time PTO II was a pretty management-heavy game. Management in WITP:AE IS overwhelming at first, to the point of being intimidating.

Also, as far as I know the Japanese AI in WITP:AE does not take as much liberties with the conquest schedule than in PTO II. In general it respects the time-tables for conquests in the PI and the DEI, while the AI wasn't in PTO II because Japan had already access to some bases that could supply the mainland in Oil and supply from the start.

Also, the political factor is completely absent from WITP:AE, while it is one of the main features in PTO II. WITP:AE is a wargame, while PTO was both a grand strategy, operational, and tactical game all in one, but all three simplified to be playable. However, I must admit that I greatly miss the political aspect of PTO II; having to negociate and compromise with the Army, the Foreign Minister, the Head of Government, and the Finance minister, each with its own interests and propositions, was a great feature in PTO II. But it can be "replaced" in WITP:AE by team multiplayer games (like 3 vs 3, or 4 vs 4).
pmn25

Post by pmn25 »

great I will try them out. I will start with WPO since Im hurting for $$ plus its been out longer and hopefully most "issues" have been worked out. Thanks for the input.
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

ORIGINAL: pmn25

great I will try them out. I will start with WPO since Im hurting for $$ plus its been out longer and hopefully most "issues" have been worked out. Thanks for the input.

Sure, no problem.

For its time, PTO II was the nec plus ultra for the War in the Pacific. It was both complex and accessible to someone who had the interest in the period (it could be played on 16-bit console like SNES and Sega Genesis), and it was a very good simulation game.

That being said, remember how it felt overwhelming at first when starting a PTOII game, to give each fleet commander his mission, select the airplanes and the ships to produce, select the commanders, the date of declaration of war, and so on?

It'll be a hundred times more overwhelming in WITP:AE, and the learning curve is extremely steep. However, for simulating a war theater in sheer scale and complexity, I have seen few experience as satisfying as WITP:AE. It literally feels like you are waging the war against Japan (or, vice-versa against the Western Imperialists). Even when you send a mere transport to carry Resources or Oil to Australia, you still feel that it is a step toward achieving victory. [&o]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”