Ship Artwork?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

hellfirejet

Ship Artwork?

Post by hellfirejet »

Could anyone please tell me how to add Ship artwork to the game, I would like to add German,Italian,French ships if possible.

What is the best procedure for adding new ship art to the game?[&:]

I have added all German,Italian & French ships to the database via the editor but I have still to add the ship artwork for them.[8D]
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
Shark7

RE: Ship Artwork?

Post by Shark7 »

Ship art work is a bit of a chore, but here is the basic rundown.

You will have files in 4 different folders (2 Allied 2 Jap). These will be called (insert side here)_Ships and (insert side here)_Shils IIRC, I'm at work and can't look right now.

In there you will notice that all ships and shils have the following naming convention:

JnSide0001.bmp and JnShil0001.bmp or Start with A for allied. All you need to do is go find the last number in each folder, and name the one you want to add with the next number in line, exactly as it is in that folder. Both Side and Shil for the ship art you want to add must have the same number.

Once you placed and renamed them into those folders, open your editor, pick the ship class and change the bitmap number to correspond to the number you just gave the ship art files you wanted to add.

That's pretty much it. Ship art is far easier to add to the game than air is.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

Yes I know the basics regarding numbering the JnSide0001.bmp and JnShil0001.bmp for the class of ship,what I would like to know is what is the best way to add your chosen ship art to the art blanks templates,I have tried to add Bismarck so far using Paint.Net. I can get the ship photo resized to fit 200 x 60 dimensions template blank. there must be a easy way to transfer a photo to the blank template for the ship art ?

Attachment is photo of Bismarck !

Attachments
Bismarck.gif
Bismarck.gif (3.9 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

Follow up message after 2 or 3 hrs of trying,I have managed to add the ship art for Bismarck to the game, she is there in all her glory in the editor, JnSide0384 & JnShil0384.Now for all the other ships.[:D]
Regards,
Graham.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: hellfirejet

Yes I know the basics regarding numbering the JnSide0001.bmp and JnShil0001.bmp for the class of ship,what I would like to know is what is the best way to add your chosen ship art to the art blanks templates,I have tried to add Bismarck so far using Paint.Net. I can get the ship photo resized to fit 200 x 60 dimensions template blank. there must be a easy way to transfer a photo to the blank template for the ship art ?

Attachment is photo of Bismarck !

You need a good layered art progrom like Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop to make it the easiest possible. There should be some backgrounds out there to use as well. But it seems you got it figured out. [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

Thanks for reply,yip trial and error my first attempt did not turn out to good,it looked alright in the editor,but then when I ran the game and looked at the bismarck, she was half underwater and going down by the stern,must have made a mess of the water line in the ship art, you live and learn ok now I altered the art work.[:)]

I will check out Paint shop pro cheers [;)]
Regards,
Graham.

hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

I found alot of ship art in WAR IN RUSSIA MOD for WAR IN THE PACIFIC,excellent just added Scharnhorst,Admiral Graf Spee,Admiral Hipper art to ADMIRALS EDITION .[:)]
Regards,
Graham.

Dali

Post by Dali »

The ship I drew myself. In the future, and some others are to improve.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”