Map improvements sugestions

From the front lines in France and Russia to the deserts of North Africa and the airfields and convoys of Britain, the campaigns of World War II are yours to command in WW2: Time of Wrath! This turn-based grand strategy title, the highly improved and expanded sequel to WW2: Road to Victory, puts the player in charge of the political, economic and military decisions of one or more Axis or Allied nations, including minor nations.
Lehnardtsson

Map improvements sugestions

Post by Lehnardtsson »

As it is not possible to modify the map, Doomtrader suggested to me to make such a thread because he would be able to modify the map for future patch.

So please all of you list improvements you wish to implement :

Most of these observations have limited effects on game but give it more accuracy. It is a major strongpoint in contrary to your competitors who have a different scale for the map and hence less realistic.

1) Lorraine, Ardennes and Alsace are mostly depicted in this games as plains exepted a few hex of hills. You know the mountains/hills called vosges have a medium height of 600 and go up to 1300m. The allies could not go through them and decided to drive south (trough Belfort and Mulhouse) or north trough Metz and Strasbourg.
www.euratlas.com/Atlasphys/tatras.jpg
2) According to your map the whole south west of France is a big forest => weird
3) Western pommerania is a bit empty (needs forest)
4) Nürnberg is not in this game whereas some smaller cities are
5) The Ruhr area needs also more cities
6) You need a city between Alger and Tunis (compared to the numerous cities in Tunisia), this city is called Constantine
7) Generaly speaking I would add more cities especialy in western Europe where supply was not particularly a problem
8) Istanbul is on the wrong side of Bosphorus! (Fintilgin) or make a city of 2 hex (Anraz)
9) a few of the coastal Norwegian cities should be ports instead of cities, so that we can at least try something like Operation Jupiter (Churchill's plan to invade Norway). (Fintilgin)
10) Sweden seem far too wooded. Even if it would look like that from a satellite view, the road net, even in the fourties, would have negated the hard supply effect now present. At least open up a plain hexes path in all coastal hexes from Stockholm to Sundsvall, with the occasional extra plain hexes here and there (Uxbridge)
11) Please create a separate icon for resources that is different from the city resource (Willgamer)
12)French ports on Map : there is Caen as a harbor, but not Cherbourg, which always was bigger. As Le Havre is near Caen, I suggest removing Caen and put Cherbourg instead. There is no Dunkerque which is a famous harbor (Pdifolco)

Fintilgin

RE: Map improvements sugestions

Post by Fintilgin »

Istanbul is on the wrong side of Bosphorus! [:'(]

Also, perhaps a few of the coastal Norwegian cities should be ports instead of cities, so that we can at least try something like Operation Jupiter (Churchill's plan to invade Norway).
Tordenskiold

Post by Tordenskiold »

My impression after playing for about 1 year, september 1939-september 1940 is that there are too few cities. So I agree to what Lehnardtsson sais.
I also believe it might be a good idea to be able to build some kind of HQ supplie base. This is because in areas with much forestes and few cities like Finland, the forces are almost depleted when reacing the enemy (Russia-Finland war). This supplie base might be rather expensive, but the possibility should be available.
Still, cities and an open path to own territory should be the main way of being supplied.
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

The city icon can represent either a city or a resource.

This can result in an unpleasant surprise when you think you are taking a city that will be a supply source and it turns out to be only a resource with no supplies. [X(]

Please create a separate icon for resources that is different from the city resource.
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Sweden seem far too wooded. Even if it would look like that from a satellite view, the road net, even in the fourties, would have negated the hard supply effect now present. At least open up a plain hexes path in all coastal hexes from Stockholm to Sundsvall, with the occasional extra plain hexes here and there.
Lehnardtsson

Post by Lehnardtsson »

I reported all your observations in my first post to make a summary.
Any other remarks regarding bad terrain or missing cities or coast that need improvement?
Anraz

Post by Anraz »

What would you say for two hexes Istanbul?
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

ORIGINAL: willgamer

The city icon can represent either a city or a resource.

This can result in an unpleasant surprise when you think you are taking a city that will be a supply source and it turns out to be only a resource with no supplies. [X(]

Please create a separate icon for resources that is different from the city resource.

I'm also confused by the icons. I have resources with resource icons, resources with city icons, can we get distinctive icons for each type please?

for example:

BAKU - listed as CITY, has resource icon
EREVAN - listed as CITY, has resource icon
BATUM - listed as CITY, has resource icon

MAYKOP - listed as RESOURCE, has city icon
SYKTYWAR - listed as RESOURCE, has city icon
SOLIKAMSK - listed as RESOURCE, has city icon

Is there a reason for this that is not obvious to me?
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Very trivial point I know, but .. could you spell 'Sheffield' right? [;)]
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

but .. could you spell 'Sheffield' right?

It's not a trivial and was already corrected on Tuesday.
sjorsl88

Post by sjorsl88 »

I am missing the afsluitdijk in holland (and a fortress hex next to it)

The Afsluitdijk (English: Closure Dike, Frisian: Ofslútdyk) is a major causeway in the Netherlands, constructed between 1927 and 1933 and running from Den Oever on Wieringen in North Holland province, to the village of Zurich (mun. Wûnseradiel) in Friesland province, over a length of 32 km (20 miles) and a width of 90 m, at an initial height of 7.25 m above sea-level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afsluitdijk

The Battle of the Afsluitdijk was an unsuccessful attempt by the German Army to seize the Afsluitdijk in May 1940, during World War II. If the Germans had taken the dyke, they could have taken North-Holland from its north.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Afsluitdijk

Return to “WW2: Time of Wrath”