Invisible infantry

Based on Atomic Games’ award-winning Close Combat series, Close Combat: The Longest Day brings together the classic top-down tactical gameplay from the original series and plenty of new features, expansions, and improvements! The Longest Day remake comes with a brand new Grand Campaign that covers all the airborne and beach landings, expanded map sizes, new hand-drawn historical maps, illumination during night battles and much more!
advo

Invisible infantry

Post by advo »

Excuse, for bad English.
1. Playing tLD I have seen: a machine gun continuously shooting from a building of 5-7 minutes, it is impossible to see from distance of 80 meters. My infantry has crept up on distance in 40 meters to infantry of the opponent in bushes, but could not find out it until then while it has not started to move. This all occured in morning fight, instead of night. The infantry is too badly found out. It very much complicates attack. I would consider reasonable that visibility of infantry was in the middle between CC4 WaR and CC5 tLD

panzerlehr62

RE: Invisible infantry

Post by panzerlehr62 »

This entire game is about invisibility and trying to overcome it when you are attacking.

Its why you see me limit my scope of advance, because if you spread out to much you will get pinned down and you wont have enuff men to follow up and assault that "invisible" fire. Even saying that, you will get pinned down when you run into overwhelming fire, specially when its 15 units vs 15 units, so try and have a plan B if you can. Also were and when you can you must use indirect fire from say tanks, zooks or even at-guns.

It looks so easy, just sneak around and take the ground. Thats true if no enemy is out there (way AI plays). This game is a real ball buster when you are advancing into new areas and the ememy is waiting on you!

Gz...
advo

Post by advo »

You probably have not understood me. I speak it became so complex what to see infantry, that it is less realistic, than, for example, in CC4 WaR
Andrew Williams

Post by Andrew Williams »

Could your soldiers see the enemy?
ImageImage
panzerlehr62

Post by panzerlehr62 »

Ive never seen enemy infantry firing at me at 40 meters or more when they are in a defensive position (ie, havnt moved). All you see are the rounds coming at you. Until you close on them, I guess inside 30 meters or less do they start to show up. I wish I could post some video at St Honorine, were I had a infantry push for the Colleville exit. Bob had deployed a mg team at upper left corner of the hedge row (closest point he could deploy to my starting location). Not only did it work great as a spotting team to my advance, but also opened up on my first sneaking infantry team. I never seen them, but I knew once mortars started coming in that he had a team close by. So after I got them back together after the mortars, I started sneaking 2 more teams about 20 meters up from them (they wernt spotted). I began pressing the first team toward were I expect his team until they came back under fire (was prob around 40m at that point or less, still coudnt see them, yes at that point I started throwing mortar fire into were I thought they were). At that point I stopped them, and began rushing (fast move) other 2 teams I had a little to there right (left of them looking at map) by that time at were I expected his mg team. Sure enuff they apeared as the teams began closing in, at that point I rushed the first team directly at his mg team too. All 3 teams now are rushing, under mortar fire at that point and being targeted by his team. It prob lasted 5 seconds or so, but they closed fast and destroyed the mg team fairly quicky. I lost a few guys, but the battle was over very quickly. All guys then went back to sneak mode and cont. to press forward. I also had 5 more teams sneaking behind them also, incase there were more defending teams.

It wasnt much of a threat overall (that mg team was just a token setup to give away what direction I might be attacking), but one never knows and its always a good idea to deploy in strength when you are attacking into a unknown area so you can quickly surpress an invisble enemy team. Else they will pin your team down, then add in mortars, and you wont have your team left long!

Good luck in your strategies to defeat this feature of the game, it is very tuff to deal with at times.

Gz...

Attachments
infatry push.jpg
infatry push.jpg (62.55 KiB) Viewed 91 times
advo

Post by advo »

It is not normal. The machine gun or infantry shoots at you from 50-70 meters and you cannot make out it 5 minutes. CC4 War so was not
Southernland

Post by Southernland »

Yeah I've had the same "problem" on one of the beach maps, a German MG eradicating several US squads until I sent a Sherman to squish them... problem solved
¡¡ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯɐ ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
RD Oddball

Post by RD Oddball »

[:D]  That works. [;)]

We're going to look at the data values to be sure they're not out of whack somehow.

Return to “Close Combat: The Longest Day”