Please help running War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition in Linux

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Brausepaul

Please help running War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition in Linux

Post by Brausepaul »

Hi there,

this posting is only for people interested in Linux and War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition and who would like to run this game in a Linux environment. If you use Windows as your primary operating system this won't affect you unless you are interested in open source software in general and improving it in specific.

First about myself: I use Ubuntu as my primary operating system for several months now and and absolutely happy with it except for the fact that most games I'm interested in are not available natively for Linux. I had some success getting some of them to run in Wine, though. If Wine is new to you: Wine is a Linux application which aims at making Windows software running in a Linux environment. It's available for free and many well-known games will work flawlessly. The situation gets worse when you try to run a brand new game or games which do not have much attention in general. Both war gaming and free software operating systems are niches which could benefit from each other. I'm not a die-hard Linux geek (yet) and it's unsure if I will ever become one, but helping out and improving things can be done by nearly everyone.

So why do I post? I tried to run AE in Wine on my laptop (a rather old one) and on my desktop computer (quite a powerfull crate). To put it simple: currently Wine cannot run AE. While AE loads and it's possible to select a scenario, the scenario loading screen will hang at about 80 % with a background error telling you that something crashed. I made Wine to put out some logs which hopefully can be helpfull to Wine developers to fix things. I submitted a Wine bug report with my data and created an entry for War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition in AppDB, an application database where interested people can look up their favorite games and see if and how they work in Linux / Wine.

What can YOU do? If you want to strengthen open source software and play your favorite war game in Linux, please consider doing on or all of the following things:

1) Read the Wine bug report on WitP: AE to catch up with latest advices so you do not have to solve problems others might have solved before you. Link see below.

2) Try to run War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition with the latest Wine version (1.1.26 at time of writing) on your Linux system (it does not have to be Ubuntu, of course, we are speaking of open source software, gentlemen) and report back either in AppDB if and how it works.

3) Vote for War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition in AppDB. The more votes a game has, the more attention it gets from Wine developers.

4) If you encounter an error, create a log file and attach it to the specific Wine bug report (# 19524) concerning WitP: AE and Wine. Please give detailed specs of your computer like graphics card, sound card, RAM etc. as well.

5) Vote for the bug in Wine's bug tracking system as well. The more votes the more attention.

If you have more questions please contact me via private message or post here, I will try to help as much as I can.

Now, where do you find the software I'm talking about?

General Wine homepage

Wine bug report for War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

AppDB homepage

AppDB entry for War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Thank you for your time

Maik
Brausepaul

RE: Please help running War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition in Linux

Post by Brausepaul »

I suspected a small Linux wargaming user base, but please pardon my bump. [:)]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

You may want to give the new hotfix a try too.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Woos

Post by Woos »

It runs nicely in KVM. Although I guess that is not what you are thinking about.

As strange as it sounds but you might get problems with WitpStaff. Although it is written in Java it requires a Windows library for reading the save file. I have no idea how well that interaction will work in Wine.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

AEe still won't run with latest Wine 1.1.27 and AE hotfix. I will update the info at winehq.org and AppDB.

If you are interested in getting this game to work your help is appreciated. [:)]
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Situation is the same as of now using Wine 1.1.31 and game version 1.0084e. I still update the info at winehq.org when new version are released, so I you want to make a difference, try to run the game with Wine and/or vote for it in Wine's bugzilla forum.
temagic

Post by temagic »

Game works running Wine 1.1.42 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS amd64.

However there is no sound and the mouse is not visible on the main menu, until after I start a scenario and return to the main menu.

Using winetricks, install d3d9, corefonts, directsound, directmusic, directinput, quartz and msxml (whatever version WitP: AE uses, I installed all of them)

Then the game should work. Performance is ok'ish, yet I have not gotten sound to work. Hope somone will solve the sound issue though...
Fighting for the Greater East-Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere
Solokow

Post by Solokow »

Some weeks ago wine 1.2 was released, some days before they announced, that the bug was fixed (I think it was rc5), so I tried to get the game started with it but it is still the same problem. Can someone confirm this? Maybe it is also a problem with my wine configuration...
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

I was working on that issue too with crossover (paid wine) i'll update here if i ever make more progress getting it to work.
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
Solokow

Post by Solokow »

Some days ago I tried it again (wine 1.3.27 + winetricks). I could start the game, but in some cases the reaction time is really slow and the main problem are graphic problems. Especially the combat scenes (no ships/aircrafts) and the menü (black background - almost only Singapore and some hexes colse around)

Return to “Tech Support”