WITP is dead, long live WITP (AE)?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

eloso

RE: WITP is dead, long live WITP (AE)?

Post by eloso »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I have no intention of getting AE until at least the first patch has been released. 
Alfred

You might want to consider your thoughts on this. If you do intend to buy AE, buy it before the price increase. I still paid over 80 bucks for the physical + digital. That is with the discount. Why pay 20 more?

I still have a PBEM going which is only in OCT 43. We have no intention of ending the game soon and I don't have the time available to play AE. The current game can take anywhere up to 4 hours for one turn now.
bobogoboom

Post by bobogoboom »

will probobly keep one witp:chs game going because it is alot less time than ae will be. i doubt i will ever have time for 2 ae games going at once.
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Sig art by rogueusmc
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

My WitP CHS game with Mynok is in late May '42.  We have no plans to end it until someone is defeated, so WitP WILL live on!  [&o]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
LST Express

Post by LST Express »

I still have to finish my current witp campaign against my long and dear friend, the Japanese AI.[:D] I have WITP and AE now, and I intend to play both until I'm so confused I don't know if I'm coming or a going!
AttuWatcher

Post by AttuWatcher »

I bought WITP along with AE but I haven't even installed it yet. I agree with not starting a GC in AE until the first patch and I'm sure as time goes on there will some good WITP vs. AE comparisons that might make me glad to have both, especially if I keep playing PBEM. (since I don't see any reason to play WITP for the AI)
davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

My WITP game as Japan against the AI is now in September 45. Auto victories have been ignored just so i could play through and see how the AI does when the full stream of US military might comes to bear. Not paying enough attention because of thinking about AE has just caused my second Midway- 4 carriers lost from a stupid chase move to ensure I sank a battleship force which had raided  Kwaj, which ran into I don't know how many US carriers. All i got was one torpedo hit on one carrier in return. That follows up from a 1944 battle of the coral sea where I also lost 4 carriers- again being overconfident.
AE is downloaded and on my computer, and I've started tinkering with day 1 scenario 1 with it. But I do feel that a game I have been playing on and off for two and a half  years should be taken into game end in 1946- if only to see the end screens!  so I will jump about both I think. 
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Personally I am holding off on an AE PBEM as I fear there may be a bug or two pop up that could possibly cause a restart or two. As I usually play the Allies, the thought of having to endure the opening Japanese juggernaut more than once is less than appealing. My current PBEM opponent and I are dedicated to finishing our game which is now in July 1944. Also, thinking there might be some AE mods appearing soon. Actually thinking of doing one myself to try to address ASW which is my pet peeve. ALso, AE is a bit overwhelming and I think you'll still see a lot of WiTP action. I know Erik got grilled for taking the position that AE may be too hard of a game to conquer without previous WiTP experience but I, for one, think he may be correct. I could not imagine taking on AE without the two years of WiTP play I have under my belt
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
bilbow

Post by bilbow »

ORIGINAL: vettim89

Personally I am holding off on an AE PBEM as I fear there may be a bug or two pop up that could possibly cause a restart or two. As I usually play the Allies, the thought of having to endure the opening Japanese juggernaut more than once is less than appealing. My current PBEM opponent and I are dedicated to finishing our game which is now in July 1944. Also, thinking there might be some AE mods appearing soon. Actually thinking of doing one myself to try to address ASW which is my pet peeve. ALso, AE is a bit overwhelming and I think you'll still see a lot of WiTP action. I know Erik got grilled for taking the position that AE may be too hard of a game to conquer without previous WiTP experience but I, for one, think he may be correct. I could not imagine taking on AE without the two years of WiTP play I have under my belt

After messing around with AE I think Erik is right that many fresh players jumping right into AE without some WITP experience will be disappointed. I've been playing WITP literally every day since release, and I find myself strugging a bit to get my mind around the changes. It's a big learning curve for us vets, and I have difficultly imagining what it would be like without the WITP experience. It's one thng to just fire it up against the Jap AI to see what happens, but a whole different kettle to actually plan up a major operation, or that ultimate experience, the Jap first turn.

I'll get there, but I've still got 4 WITP PBEMs going, so there's no hurry to make the move.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Sarconix

So is it safe to say that all of "the action" will be moving to the AE forum, or will the original WITP still get some decent traffic here? Perhaps it is too early to say, just curious.

Almost 650,000 posts here... remarkable.

Actually I still have a Vanilla WiTP game going that we have agreed to finish, currently the game is at September of 1942. So i wouldn't say WiTP is dead...just diminished.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

I'll be here, and I'm sure that a lot of people will return to play and continue playing the more simple witp "classic"...

--Damian--

THIS doesn't mean I won't be playing AE.
...... continue playing the more simple witp "classic"...

Now that's a word I've not heard when discribing WitP before.[:D]
engineer

Post by engineer »

I'm with Alfred on the patch question.  The AE team just got a whole lot of additional playtesters and try as they might, I'm afraid a few bugs probably slipped through. 
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

With OSO, we have PBEM going so I'll be here.

I do intend to buy AE soon though, as I think it is important for Matrix and Co. to see a big surge in purchases so that any thoughts of a WITP II aren't canned right off the get go due to insufficient ROI.

Probably going to pick up WPO as well...
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”