No-go for me.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

thunar

RE: No-go for me.

Post by thunar »

I don't know where your going to find a job most places, given that KMart is full of adults trying to get even 15 hours a week to pay their bills. You should see if there is a lawnmower you can borrow and go around offering to cut lawns for $15-20. I'd start by asking your friend's parents, that's how I did it as a kid. Some really cheap bastards are going to insist that you rake the cut grass, so tell them in advance it's another $10 for that. That's kind of low, but do a few lawns and you've got it down. After you do the job once and they're happy, tell them you'll come back every weekend until Labor Day.

Also, if they balk, get up real early on a scorching hot weekend morning and say "Gee, I'm 16 and full of energy, are you *sure* you want to cut the grass on this 100 degree day, Mr. Jones?" :)

On the other hand, if you want to be slick, ask that your mom or dad drive you around for hours and hours on the weekend as you look for a job, since I assume you live in the burbs and everything is too far to bike. They'll get so sick of driving you around, and then realize they'll probably have to drive you 2-3 times a week at least even if you do find a job, they'll buy you the game. [:D]
thunar

Post by thunar »

Oops, I should have read all the posts first... see what a good idea mowing lawns are?! [8D]
jazman

Post by jazman »

Maybe someone could start up a collection if this fellow can't round up the money. I wouldn't be able to give anything, though, having just bought AE.
BS, MS, PhD, WitP:AE, WitE, WitW
Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

at your age, I helped a local supermarket filling the store shelfs. I was responsible for the beverages like Coke, Sprite, Water & Beer. 3 times a week for 3 hours per working day. loan was 6 later 7 DEM/hour.

think about it.

Or I delivered the daily news paper here in our neighborehood. they payed 110 DEM per month but if you were good you got some tip extra

V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: jazman

Maybe someone could start up a collection if this fellow can't round up the money.

No, I would feel uncomfortable imposing like that.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Big B

Post by Big B »

Personally V22 Osprey, I am impressed that a young man your age has the interest (and not to mention intellect in today's low attention span world) to seek out and play a complex and very long strategy game like WitP & AE. That doesn't seem typical of most teenagers today.

Kudos to you, there may be hope for the coming generation. [:)]
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

I have good news.

Ok, here's the plan:

Parents agreed, I will take advantage of sale and get vanilla WitP tomorrow.Then in mid-August, Mom and dad agreed to get me Admiral's Edition with the $20 discount.

Yesssss!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!!MUAHAHAHHAAAHA!!![:D]
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
mikul82

Post by mikul82 »

I very highly second the lawn mowing idea, even though you've got the game on the way now, if you want some extra money!  A friend and I did that when we were 15/16 over a summer, and made an absolute KILLING- all you need is a lawn mower and way to get to your lawns (hint: shoot for your own neighborhood), and if you have a trimmer and edger you can add that on for a little extra as well.  We'd charge $15-20 for lawn mowing, and add on $5 for the extra stuff (this was 1998 or so, gas was dirt cheap), worked about 3 days a week and would go home with $20's just falling out of our pockets.  This is one seriously easy way to make money without signing over any of your time to a "real job".

Of course, I blew every bit of it on games [:D] 
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Big B
Personally V22 Osprey, I am impressed that a young man your age has the interest (and not to mention intellect in today's low attention span world) to seek out and play a complex and very long strategy game like WitP & AE. That doesn't seem typical of most teenagers today.

It wasn't typical of most of them 30 years ago when I was his age, either!

anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Sounds like a plan, congrats.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Hey guys, can I still ask questions about vanilla WitP and come over here since the WitP forums are pretty much dead now?
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Best ask WitP questions on the WitP site and AE questions on the AE. There's enough confusion for the both of them. Don't worry the WitP site still has many incorrugable types on it.
Hagleboz

Post by Hagleboz »

I also second the notion about being glad to see someone of Osprey's age showing interest in wargaming, especially AE level grogness. 

Guys you have no idea how bad the job market is down here So Cal right now.  Any 16 year old looking for a job is going to be flat out looked over because of the flood of experienced and educated workers looking in desperation for any paying job right now.  Osprey it sounds like you got your head on your shoulders, glad you worked out a solution for WitP, enjoy one of your last free summers before reality hits.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

Damn...I won't be able to sleep tonight.I know I'm only getting vanilla WitP tomorrow but WitP is still WitP.And it allows me to warm up to Adirmal's Edition.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
E

Post by E »

So your plan is to pay $49.99 now and then $59.99 later for a total of $109.98.  Why not just buy AE flat out for $79.99? (if that's the game you really want)
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Nothing wrong with buying WITP IMHO, it's still a great game and will be lessen the learning curve for AE. If you check out the must read threads in the WITP forums it will give you a ton of tips Osprey. Best of Luck.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: E

So your plan is to pay $49.99 now and then $59.99 later for a total of $109.98.  Why not just buy AE flat out for $79.99? (if that's the game you really want)

Because, I want the boxed copy and download of Admiral's Edition which is $90 plus $10 shipping and my parents dont want to spent $100 all at once.WitP, I'm getting download only, so I only pay $50 and then the small extend download fee.When I get Admiral's edition in a few weeks I'll get $20 discount so the boxed copy for AE is a more decent price my parents can handle.Plus getting vanilla WitP first allows me to warm up to AE.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Congratulations, and enjoy, Osprey!  [:)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Ocean1

Post by Ocean1 »

Wow, harsh responses :) I am 47 year old and have been playing computer and strategic war games forever. I feel for the original poster and his issues. $100.00 isn't easy to come by for anyone, especially a 16 year old.

I'll admit I haven't been a devotee of WiTP. I did purchase Uncommon Valor recently, after reading MANY posts and not being able to make a decision on whether or not to purchase WiTP. I have played UV and enjoyed it, but not really become a grognard for the game. I was looking foward to WiTP Admiral's Edition and some updated features.

I looked today and actually had my credit card on my desk, then saw the price! wow.... It causes one to pause and I did put my card away. I won't be purchasing the game for now. I have read MANY of the posts and comments by the publishers on their marketing strategy and why they charge their prices. I believe it comes down to the fact that they know mostly wargame grognards or devotees will buy the games and they need to recoup their investment, so they charge more. I won't argue with some of that logic, but I would purchase the game now for $40 or maybe $50, but $80 or $90 will have to take some serious thought!

I can't imagine being 16 again (wow, was I ever?) and spending that much on a game.

I love a publisher who puts out good war games though.

Matrix - Can I get the discount for having Uncommon Valor, Highway to the Reich and Airborne Assault? Please? Come on.. say yes.
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

You might still want to get on the whole lawn mowing deal.  I was just talking at work the other day I'd pay someone $20 to mow my lawn and you should see it.  I live in a townhome and I mowed it the last time.  The grass was pretty high and still only took an hour, so you gotta figure, you catch someone like me whose lawn is fairly well mowed, and you make $20 for a 30 minute job.

Hell, I even thought about trying that!!

Oh, the reason to go ahead now - War in the East is coming. [:)]
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”