How to Start a PBeM -UPDATED

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Admiral DadMan

How to Start a PBeM -UPDATED

Post by Admiral DadMan »

The Japanese Player (PLAYER 1) is the one who starts the process.

Start the game program.
Set all REALISM OPTIONS, GAME OPTIONS, and PREFERENCES. It is important to record your settings and send them to your opponent. (Personally, I send screen shots).
On the main screen click on PLAY BY EMAIL.

-click on SCENARIO SELECTION,
-click on your scenario.
-click SELECT SCENARIO,
-then click START GAME.

Here's what should happen on TURN 1:

-Decide on a password and enter it when PLAYER 1 Password is prompted.

----->>>>>if you are using Historical First Turn, you will NOT get to enter ANY orders. The game will go directly to the SAVE GAME page. (Skip to SAVE GAME Section)

-Enter your orders (if NOT using Historical First Turn)
-When you're done, select End Turn or use the "E" key.
-The game will then go to the SAVE GAME page

-SAVE GAME Section:
-Choose a save game slot and click on it to select.

YOU CAN CHOOSE ANY SAVE SLOT FROM 003-199. DO NOT CHOOSE 000, 001, or 002. They are reserved for game functions.

For purposes of this example, I'll choose 005 (wpae005.pws)

-Click the "SAVE" button at the bottom of the screen.
-When it's done saving, click "EXIT" to the bottom right.

Now go into the WitP:AE SAVE directory (\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SAVE) to retrieve your file.
-(I make a shortcut on my desktop for easy access).

Send the save game file (wpae005.pws) to your Allied buddy.

Allied PLAYER 2

-move/copy the save game file (wpae005.pws) into your SAVE folder (\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SAVE)
-Start WitP:AE

----->>>>>It is a good idea to set your game using the same EXACT settings as your partner.

-Choose LOAD A SAVED GAME.
-choose the same game file (wpae005.pws)
-click SELECT SAVE GAME button
-Decide on a password and enter it when PLAYER 2 Password is prompted.

----->>>>>if you are using Historical First Turn, you will NOT get to enter ANY orders. The game will go directly to the SAVE GAME page. (Skip to SAVE GAME Section)

-You can now enter orders (if NOT using Historical First Turn)
-When you're done, select End Turn or use the "E" key
-The game will go to the SAVE GAME Menu

-SAVE GAME Section:
-Save your game to the same slot as loaded from (005).
-Click the "SAVE" button at the bottom of the screen.
-When it's done saving, click "Exit" to the bottom right.

Allied player sends the same file (wpae005.pws) back to the Japan Player

************************************************************************************************

FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE USED FOR EVERY TURN:

IMPORTANT: Each player uses a DIFFERENT method to view replays and enter orders.

Japan PLAYER 1
-move/copy the save game file (wpae005.pws) to your SAVE folder (\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SAVE)
-start WitP:AE
-choose LOAD A SAVED GAME
-choose the save game file (005)
-enter PLAYER 1 password.

the game will now resolve the turn, showing PLAYER 1 the animated result of the turn.
-When the replay is done, the game will then allow Japan PLAYER 1 to enter orders.
-When PLAYER 1 is done entering orders, select End Turn or use the "E" key
-Choose the correct turn save file (005) and click SAVE, then EXIT.

The game has generated a COMBAT REPLAY file, which is always wpae001.pws, and is only accessible by the Allied PLAYER 2.

Japan PLAYER 1 now sends TWO files to the Allied PLAYER 2 from the SAVE folder (\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SAVE):
-Combat Replay wpae001.pws
AND
-Save Game (wpae005.pws)

Allied PLAYER 2
-move/copy the BOTH save game files to your SAVE folder (\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SAVE):
-Combat Replay wpae001.pws
AND
-Save Game (wpae005.pws)

-start WitP:AE
-click LOAD A SAVED GAME
-click 001 Combat Save
-click SELECT SAVE GAME
-enter PLAYER 2 password.

The game will now show to Allied PLAYER 2 the animated result of the turn.
After the replay is done, you will return to the main page.

PLAYER 2
-now select LOAD A SAVED GAME
-Choose 005 file
-click SELECT SAVE GAME
-Enter PLAYER 2 Password
-enter orders
-When Allied PLAYER 2 is done entering orders, select End Turn or use the "E" key
-Choose the correct turn save file (005) and click SAVE, then EXIT.

Allied PLAYER 2 sends only ONE file to the Japan PLAYER 1 from your SAVE folder (\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SAVE):

Save Game (wpae005.pws)

*** A word of note: If you are using Historical Start, you do NOT get to enter ANY orders on the initial set up turn! The game will go straight to the Save Game screen.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
AttuWatcher

RE: How to Start a PBEM

Post by AttuWatcher »

Thanks ADM DadMan! perfect timing as I'm about to set up my first game.
ETF

Post by ETF »

Yes indeed. Refresh my memory though. Can both players "work" on their turns at the same time. I realize the turn is completed as a "WEGO".....but do I have to wait for my buddy in the computer beside me to complete hi 3 hour turn :) or can I work on mine at the same time.
Thx
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

No.&nbsp; It's really I-GO-U-GO, with the Japanese Player processing the moves.
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
ETF

Post by ETF »

ok thought so with a 2004 for starting engine I thought it would be. One thing I really like about ACW is that it is a WEGO turns and WEGO processing :)
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

Basically the same as Witp?
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

ETF

Post by ETF »

Yes the exact same. I love when you and your buddy can work on turns and talk about the last one at the same time and just transfer the files. Oh well maybe AE II :)

Twitter
Oldguard1970

Post by Oldguard1970 »

Deadman notes the Japanese player must send the Japanese turn file, (his 005), and the combat replay save file, (the 001), and that the Japanese player MAY also send the combat report text file.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
1.&nbsp; Given the possibility of a synch bug, I encourage the Japanese player to send the combat report text file.&nbsp; It is authoritative.&nbsp; (At least, this was the case in WITP.)
&nbsp;
2.&nbsp; I also encourage the Japanese player to send the combat replay (001) file and the combat report text file as soon as he finishes running the turn.&nbsp; That way the allied player can see the results during the time the Japanese player is plotting his next&nbsp;turn.&nbsp; It saves a bit of time.
"Rangers Lead the Way!"
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: OldGuard1970

Deadman notes the Japanese player must send the Japanese turn file, (his 005), and the combat replay save file, (the 001), and that the Japanese player MAY also send the combat report text file. 

1.  Given the possibility of a synch bug, I encourage the Japanese player to send the combat report text file.  It is authoritative.  (At least, this was the case in WITP.)

2.  I also encourage the Japanese player to send the combat replay (001) file and the combat report text file as soon as he finishes running the turn.  That way the allied player can see the results during the time the Japanese player is plotting his next turn.  It saves a bit of time.
"Deadman"... just don't call me late for dinner.

With the increased Fog of War conditions implemented in AE, the combatreport.txt file should only be sent if a true synch problem is found. Sending the combatsave 001 file early is something a lot of us do.
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

In WITP you sent in when japanese player the Game save, the 001&nbsp; save and the Four Reports

With WITP_AE&nbsp;&nbsp; We seem to have a bunch of reports..

Since the allied player needs be able replay the combat... what reports out of this mess are important sides the save and 001 file?

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: Cmdrcain

In WITP you sent in when japanese player the Game save, the 001  save and the Four Reports

With WITP_AE   We seem to have a bunch of reports..

Since the allied player needs be able replay the combat... what reports out of this mess are important sides the save and 001 file?

I'd like to re-iterate that ".txt" files should ONLY be sent IF a "synch" problem is detected.

A "synch" problem should be defined as the combat replay generating results that are VASTLY DIFFERENT from the current situation.

In Admiral's Edition, "Fog of War" has been greatly enhanced, and the "synch bug" occurance has been greatly diminished.

SHOULD a "synch" problem be confirmed, the only file to send is the combatreport.txt file. All of the others are geared for the Japanese Player and will only benefit the Allied Player by showing him what the Japanese Player gets for reports (i.e. he will see what the Japanese Player point of view is).
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
tbridges

Post by tbridges »

How do I go about starting/playing more than one PBEM at the same time? Just name all the turns correctly so I can keep track of which save is for which game and put them in different slots? What about the first turn? I guess I'm confused about just what impact my choice of save slot has on the game. If I'm the allies, do I have to tell the Jap player who starts the game what slot I would like him to use for the first turn? Otherwise his choice of slots might overwrite the save from my other game? Right?
Tom

The easy way is always mined...
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Q-How do I go about starting/playing more than one PBEM at the same time?
A-Simply choose different save game file numbers than ones you're already using.

Q-Just name all the turns correctly so I can keep track of which save is for which game and put them in different slots?
A-You can add little notes when you save. Be aware that your opponent can see those notes when he loads/saves the turn also. In the past, I have used Mogami IJN Dadman USN as the info.

Q-What about the first turn?
A-Nothing changes about the first turn. It would be not be a bad idea to send off the combat replay file immediately after it is generated if you are Japan.

Q-I guess I'm confused about just what impact my choice of save slot has on the game. If I'm the allies, do I have to tell the Jap player who starts the game what slot I would like him to use for the first turn?
A-the Japanese Player is the one who chooses the slot to use, so the Players would have to agree beforehand.

Q-Otherwise his choice of slots might overwrite the save from my other game? Right?
A-It will only overwrite whatever was there before. If he sends you a savegame slot 5 and you already have a game there, you have 2 options: 1) drop the new file in there and overwrite the old or 2) rename either file.

Listen, it's not as complicated as you think. If you're already running a game in slot 5 (PBEM or vs AI), then advise your opponent that you're already using slot 5. He'll probably come back with recommendations for other open slots he has. And it doesn't matter who is playing which side.
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
tbridges

Post by tbridges »

Thanks for the info...[&o]
Tom

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

If there is a conflict with save slot numbers, can you just rename the save file when you get it?
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

If there is a conflict with save slot numbers, can you just rename the save file when you get it?
Yes, you could.
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

In fact, you may have noticed that wpae003.pws was in slot 3. wpae004.pws was in slot 4 and so on. These are the game files that you have generated.

wpae001.pws will be the combat results, which you will send to the allied player. No need to rename this one. But you can if you want put it in a different slot. When he gets the file, he will just open up save game 1, which will be labeled Combat Save. It will then ask for the Player 2 save. After he watches you sink his fleet, shoot down all his planes, and park in the handicapped zone, he will run the game savefile wpae00# where # is the slot.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
tbridges

Post by tbridges »

I notice that the Combat Reports I get when my Jap opponent sends me his Combat Save are different than the ones I get when I start my turn after he send me his actual Game Save.

Is this normal? FOW at work, or...?
Tom

Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: tbridges

I notice that the Combat Reports I get when my Jap opponent sends me his Combat Save are different than the ones I get when I start my turn after he send me his actual Game Save.

Is this normal? FOW at work, or...?
FoW is ramped up in WitP:AE, so you will get different reports.
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
tbridges

Post by tbridges »

Is it necessary to actually run the Combat Save file?

I don't watch the combat animations. The graphics in this game are so juvenile that I feel like I'm playing a kiddie game from the '80s. That's OK because the graphics are not why I play this game. But I hate sitting there wasting time while the replay runs, hitting the escape key after every animation until its over and I can get to the actual game.

I'd much prefer to skip running the Combat Save entirely and just read the Combat Reports when I start the game. Can that be done?
Tom

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”