PBEM

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

coregames

RE: PBEM

Post by coregames »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

There is code to convert territories to minor countries. I have looked at it in passing though I have not validated it. I am not sure how you conquer one if these things, since they do not have a capital or factory. Perhaps that is in the code too.

That sounds right... they become like countries... and then you have to capture every port to conquer them. Or, if they have no ports, control every hex is the rule I believe
"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Page 1 of 2.

Here is what SO4 looks like. I still need to enable placing the units on the insert map - and then recording those placements as Standing Orders.

The left side shows Germany entering where they want their reserve units placed in the second impulse of the first turn.

The right side shows where the Axis wants the Finnish units placed if the Allies decalre war on that minor country.

Attachments
PBEMSO4..520091.jpg
PBEMSO4..520091.jpg (534.21 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

2nd and last in series.

Note that the Axis and Allies will have separate standing orders for Turkey. [The unit data panel is a lingering effect of having looked at the Finns previously.]

Attachments
PBEMSO4..520092.jpg
PBEMSO4..520092.jpg (267.31 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Steve

Froonp

Post by Froonp »

The right side shows where the Axis wants the Finnish units placed if the Allies decalre war on that minor country.
For Finland, these are the units available for a given year.
Is it possible to see units from year +1 or +2, so that they are set up too, so that if the standing order is used in year+1 or year +2 then the new units are ready too.
Or will the player have to revise their standing orders when they know that there are new units ? Which is acceptable too.
BallyJ

Post by BallyJ »

As a WIF adict for soooo long I can't wait. roll on christmas release.
Good work Steve
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Froonp
For Finland, these are the units available for a given year.
Is it possible to see units from year +1 or +2, so that they are set up too, so that if the standing order is used in year+1 or year +2 then the new units are ready too.
Or will the player have to revise their standing orders when they know that there are new units ? Which is acceptable too.
I thought about it. I decided that players could/should update their SOs at the beginning of a new year (at least). I'll add a prompt listing the minor countries that have additional units available at that time.
Steve

peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

2nd and last in series.

Note that the Axis and Allies will have separate standing orders for Turkey. [The unit data panel is a lingering effect of having looked at the Finns previously.]

Will it be possible to have a choice to use the AIO script setup as an option? Ex I let the AIO handle Norway for me when it’s declared war on but I like Netherlands to use my special predefined defence?
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

2nd and last in series.

Will it be possible to have a choice to use the AIO script setup as an option? Ex I let the AIO handle Norway for me when it’s declared war on but I like Netherlands to use my special predefined defence?
No.

I remain resolute that the players should play the game and not have the AI makes decisions for them. In that case it would be an AI Assistant. The most I am willing to do is let the players set up their Standing Orders and then have the AIA execute them.

When we get to the later Standing Orders (SO 5+) the players will be able to work with a stripped down version of LAIO (Language for AI Opponent) to control the decision making process. But I do not intend for players to be able to simply say "let the AI decide for me".
Steve

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

2nd and last in series.

No.

I remain resolute that the players should play the game and not have the AI makes decisions for them. In that case it would be an AI Assistant. The most I am willing to do is let the players set up their Standing Orders and then have the AIA execute them.

When we get to the later Standing Orders (SO 5+) the players will be able to work with a stripped down version of LAIO (Language for AI Opponent) to control the decision making process. But I do not intend for players to be able to simply say "let the AI decide for me".
Warspite1

Good!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
sajbalk

Post by sajbalk »

Regarding the German reserves, is there not 5-3 Slovak Militia in the froce pool? It is part of the Politics in Flames counter set, I think.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: sajbalk

Regarding the German reserves, is there not 5-3 Slovak Militia in the froce pool? It is part of the Politics in Flames counter set, I think.
This is because the I Slovak is now considered a city based volunteer linked to Bratislava.

RAW 22.4.8 :
The Slovak MIL is a city based volunteer based in Bratislava.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Page 1 of 2.

Hi Shannon,

Can you be more specific on this, do you mean that in each game we have to prepare the setup of each minor country for when or in case they will be attacked by the opposing faction?

Thanks,
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Page 1 of 2.

Hi Shannon,

Can you be more specific on this, do you mean that in each game we have to prepare the setup of each minor country for when or in case they will be attacked by the opposing faction?

Thanks,
Yes.

I expect there to be default placements available, so the task is to edit them to suit your preferences.

Once I make some more progress on this form, I'll post what it should look like (i.e., with all the units on the map).

EDIT: I have added two more buttons to the form: Save and Restore SO 4. Those will let you effortless restore any deployments you have saved from previous games.
Steve

Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

EDIT: I have added two more buttons to the form: Save and Restore SO 4. Those will let you effortless restore any deployments you have saved from previous games.
YAY!
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

My only problem with this is that the set up for some minors (say Iraq) might be drastically different based on which country on the opposing side actually decalred war.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

My only problem with this is that the set up for some minors (say Iraq) might be drastically different based on which country on the opposing side actually decalred war.
Interesting point.

I am not sure building a system for conditional setups for minor countries is warranted by this though.
Steve

Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I hate to say it, but I would prefer a seperate email for setting up minors.

Iraq is certainly not the only country this would apply to. The only other option is players changing set ups for minors on a nearly turn by turn basis. Frex: Do the allies prep. Greece and Yugo based on a possible Italian attack or a German one (or both)? What about the Spain? Is it preped for a GE Vichy France collapse/attack or is it prepared for an Italian invasion? You could loose an awful lot of ground if it is set up wrong. There are lots of others... Netherlands vs. Germany or Japan?

I really think this is too important to leave to standing orders. I believe you could get away with just one extra email for all minors being set up (per impulse)...
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
coregames

Post by coregames »

Iraq is certainly not the only country this would apply to. The only other option is players changing set ups for minors on a nearly turn by turn basis. Frex: Do the allies prep. Greece and Yugo based on a possible Italian attack or a German one (or both)? What about the Spain? Is it preped for a GE Vichy France collapse/attack or is it prepared for an Italian invasion? You could loose an awful lot of ground if it is set up wrong. There are lots of others... Netherlands vs. Germany or Japan?

I really think this is too important to leave to standing orders. I believe you could get away with just one extra email for all minors being set up (per impulse)...

I agree with this. It's rare that the maneuvers made in preparation for a DoW on a minor won't have some impact on the setup, so might as well have an email specifically dedicated to it, since more often than not the standing orders for setup will need to be mofified if they are to defend properly.
"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson
BallyJ

Post by BallyJ »

Me to. Minor set up could make or break some countries. Particularly Spain. But also many others.
For the rest of the project keep up the good work.Can't come soon enough. Love the AAR's
Gurggulk

Post by Gurggulk »

If i use the Standing Orders for minor setups in the 1st turn of the game. Do every single nation in the world. Its seems to me i can change my Standing Orders for say any nation at any time before war is declared. there is no Fog of War, the player knows where everything is.

Its up to the player to decide if his SO's are up to date depending on the global situation. This is PBEM we are talking about, time is not an issue.

I don't see a problem. The SO's are not written in virtual stone, are they?

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”