Potential newbie

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RSGodfrey

Potential newbie

Post by RSGodfrey »

WitP has long intrigued me, but reading reports I was deterred by the time investment (planning to submit my PhD Thesis this year).

Can you advise if WitP:AE will have the flexibility to play with a reduced time investment?

I know that this may be an anathema to the grogs. out there, but some of us have a life!

Richard
Terminus

RE: Potential newbie

Post by Terminus »

Depends on what you mean by "flexibility". AE is a very large game, and it will suck up 101% of the time you can spend on it.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger »

I know that this may be an anathema to the grogs. out there, but some of us have a life!

interesting approach.....ask a question, then critisize the potential answer-ers. Good one! Are you suggesting the diehards who play WitP through to its painful end are lifeless, unsocial, desperate individuals who get no greater satisfaction than watching a few tiny colored dots on a monitor move VERY slowly around a not quite perfect map of not quite all of the Pacific ocean??

Ok. point taken.

Yes. AE is apparently shipping with a couple of smaller scenarios for those 'with a life' who just cant commit. Of course the full campaign is expected to take far longer than stock WitP - but that is the way we like it!!

cheers
Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger »

quick question T. Has there ever been ANY thread that you have NOT read?
TheTomDude

Post by TheTomDude »

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

quick question T. Has there ever been ANY thread that you have NOT read?

I guess his answer will be "NO". Not that this is an uncommon or unfamiliar word to him. [:D]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

And one that I somehow find the reason to use continually in this place. Wonder why?
RSGodfrey

Post by RSGodfrey »

FT - this was not intended to be a criticism of anyone's gaming habits or use of time.

If anything it was said with envy at those of you who can devote time to this monster simulation/game.

I suspect if the developers provided the flexibility for game dedication to the grogs. and those of us with less time, sales would soar.

Richard
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

The time you invest?  However much you desire!  Contrary to many posts, it is a fun game.  Fun.  You know, fun.  Non-life threatening.

Spend more time playing and less time worrying about the forum freaks opinions. Besides, none of them have jobs.

/Don't let Terminus-Grumpypants throw you off.

DACE
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: RSGodfrey

WitP has long intrigued me, but reading reports I was deterred by the time investment (planning to submit my PhD Thesis this year).

Can you advise if WitP:AE will have the flexibility to play with a reduced time investment?

Richard

I know what you mean!--I use WitP as a way to relax. A turn will probably take you between half an hour and an hour if you play casually. Let your subconscious mull over your research while you play, and justify it as an alternative to sleeping on your ideas.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: dorjun driver

The time you invest?  However much you desire!  Contrary to many posts, it is a fun game.  Fun.  You know, fun.  Non-life threatening.

Spend more time playing and less time worrying about the forum freaks opinions. Besides, none of them have jobs.

/Don't let Terminus-Grumpypants throw you off.

DACE

Again with the boat bum shooting off his mouth. I was certainly not trying to throw him off, but AE is not for everyone, and you might as well go into it with your eyes open.
RSGodfrey

Post by RSGodfrey »

Hi Harry, I am a Senior Lecturer in Economics at UWIC.

WRT to WitP its not only the time taken to play a turn thats of interest , but also the number of turns to complete a game. For example, playing the full campaign at one turn a day, how long will it take to complete?

Thanks

Richard
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

You're a "senior lecturer in economics" and you can't calculate the time it will take to complete the campaign when playing one turn per day?
RSGodfrey

Post by RSGodfrey »

Hi terminus, I have little familiarity with the game engine. Does it offer the flexibility for a turn to simulate 1 day of reality, 1 week or 1 month etc.?

Richard
Akos Gergely

Post by Akos Gergely »

Richard,

if you play 1 turn per day it would take exactly as long as it did IRL from Dec 7 1941 to 1945 aug or whenever you abandon the game. You can choose to do 2 or 3 or even more turns per order phase giving up some tactical control. The best way is to play the AI if you don't have the time, it's not as challanging as a human opponent but it's still good fun  and can be played pretty fast once you get into the rythm.

Or you can go for smaller map, limited time scenarios like Guadalcanal or to a one yoear long full map scenario. These can be played in a few weeks against the AI, especially the Guadalcanal one.

So the game is quite flexible and hopefully in the future there will be even more smaller map, shorter scenarios made by modders, so you can do just one battle or campaign like taking the Marshall Islands (Op. Galvanic IIRC) etc.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Excepting the first day turn, I generally can play maybe 2 turns on workdays and 7-10 turns on each of the weekend days.
One real week equals approx 2 1/2 to 3 weeks game time.
I only play "one day turns", but you have the option to make each turn 1,2, or 3 days.

John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

You can set the turn length to either 1 or 2 day increments.  I prefer the 1 day increments myself.  As for how much of your time it takes, well, I spend about half an hour or more on each turn before hitting execute, but there's nothing wrong with performing some of the work on one day and finishing it up on the next.  The execution of the turn takes about 5-15 minutes (you've got to click through the individual encounters once they're completed if you've got the animations all turned on) and you're ready for the next turn.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: Terminus
You're a "senior lecturer in economics" and you can't calculate the time it will take to complete the campaign when playing one turn per day?

Be polite, Terminus.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I know, that was over the line. Sorry.

Playing one turn per day means you take either as long as the war historically took, half as long or a third as long depending on what number of days the turn is set to. I personally prefer playing 2-day turns.
Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Be polite, Terminus.

yeah T. Get back in your box!

seriously, Richard sounds like he is genuinely interested, and is asking a serious question. Dont scare him off!!
stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: RSGodfrey

Richard

Welcome to the game RS. I think you will find that the greatest time commitment may be when you first start learning the ropes, etc. But it is a fun game. Detailed for sure, but also a learning experience. I do not let myself get bogged down against the AI , and will often process 4 or 5 turns in a day. Then other times I spend longer adjusting things. Once you get started, 2 day turns seem to work fine.

And good luck on your Thesis.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”