US Submarine torpedoes

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

jerrylt2008

US Submarine torpedoes

Post by jerrylt2008 »

I understand that US submarine torpedoes are in effect useless until early 1943. I guess you might get a lucky detonation occassionally but ussually it will miss or not explode. Since this is the case, should I send them out of port at all? I guess they would be good intelligence gatherers or the occasional supply run or troop deployment (limited). I am not trying to open up this can of worms again.

I am asking if I should just leave them in port or send them out to spot ships and maybe act like coast watchers?
"One tin soldier rides away........."
Terminus

RE: US Submarine torpedoes

Post by Terminus »

You should definitely use your submarines as much as possible. Your dud rate is only 80% to start with, and sometimes your dice rolls actually come up to your advantage. Leaving your subs in port is criminal neglect.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

Even with the dud rate, I have still been able to sink a few ships here and there. Send them out...you never know what you might sink.
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
jerrylt2008

Post by jerrylt2008 »

Thank you everyone. I was assuming that they would be the front line in defense.
"One tin soldier rides away........."
NormS3

Post by NormS3 »

Any chance of subs getting hit by their own errant torps?
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

no
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Norm3

Any chance of subs getting hit by their own errant torps?

With straight runners? Highly unlikely...in fact improbable. With wake following or active homing, it would be possible if all the safeties are removed and you somehow end up in the path of your own torpedo, improbable.

In game, I seriously doubt it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

Improbable maybe but it did happen. Dick O'Kane was nearly killed by his own fish and many other boats that "disappeared" are thought to have been hit by their own straight runners (who didn't run straight).
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

Improbable maybe but it did happen. Dick O'Kane was nearly killed by his own fish and many other boats that "disappeared" are thought to have been hit by their own straight runners (who didn't run straight).

That indicates malfunction then. I would still assume that even so the ratio was very low....so still not impossible, but improbable.
Distant Worlds Fan

greg_slith

Post by greg_slith »

The 80% dud rate also reflects the "malfunction" of the a) depth keeping, b) magnetic exploder and c) contact fuse. All worked in some form or another but still caused 80% duds.
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

That indicates malfunction then. I would still assume that even so the ratio was very low....so still not impossible, but improbable.

The Tang (Dick O'Kane's boat) and the Tullibee were both sunk from a circular torpedo run. The Taotog and the Whale both had torpedo malfunctions causing a circular run, but both boats were able to "go deep" to escape.
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
Mike Scholl

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: jerrylt2008

I understand that US submarine torpedoes are in effect useless until early 1943. I guess you might get a lucky detonation occassionally but ussually it will miss or not explode. Since this is the case, should I send them out of port at all? I guess they would be good intelligence gatherers or the occasional supply run or troop deployment (limited). I am not trying to open up this can of worms again.

I am asking if I should just leave them in port or send them out to spot ships and maybe act like coast watchers?

Your old "S-Boats" did not use the Mk XIV torpedo, so their hit rates should be much better. I always try to upgrade their skippers to the best available and use them to create a "danger zone" or two for the Japs. And even if the more modern subs aren't very effective they still provide intel, re-supply, and the occasional success to annoy the enemy.
Hagleboz

Post by Hagleboz »

[/quote]

Your old "S-Boats" did not use the Mk XIV torpedo, so their hit rates should be much better.  I always try to upgrade their skippers to the best available and use them to create a "danger zone" or two for the Japs.  And even if the more modern subs aren't very effective they still provide intel, re-supply, and the occasional success to annoy the enemy.
[/quote]

Does WitP (and AE) actually model different torpedo for the Americans?
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

Does WitP (and AE) actually model different torpedo for the Americans?

Yes.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

The Tang (Dick O'Kane's boat) and the Tullibee were both sunk from a circular torpedo run. The Taotog and the Whale both had torpedo malfunctions causing a circular run, but both boats were able to "go deep" to escape.
One other USN sub is thought (but not known) to have been sunk by its own torp (3 total)...

Circular run could be caused by several factors including jammed torpedo rudder, defective gyro, etc. but there was also a design flaw that allowed a gyro control unit to be inserted backwards that would cause a circular run. [8|]
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

Aggressive skippers in even the fleet boats will occasionally surface and use their deck gun against shipping, as well as fire their torpedoes.  I've sunk dozens of ships in 1942 with US subs, and damaged a CVL, by having them base out of Darwin or Eniwetok and patrolling them around Truk, Saipan and Tarakan.  The S class do not have the high dud torpedo rate so they will get a lot more hits in 1942 also.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Never forget those subs can also lay mines, which can bag some unsuspecting ships and tie up others to clear the minefields.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
BAR

Post by BAR »

I've been noticing quite an increase in deck gun activity starting about May '42 from my subs. Even occur during the daytime which seems suicidal. I have 4 based off Scerabaja, 3 just south of Rabaul and the rest doing their own thing and have 3-4 Sub attack combat reports a turn so they are definately worth putting to sea.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Playing against the AI in my last game I had what I felt pretty good success using the USN submarines in early '42. I sortied everyone of them out of Manila and used the S-boats north of the Phillipines and the fleet boats in the South China Sea to help suppliment Royal and Dutch Navy boats. I haven't played a PBEM As of yet because I'm waiting for AE but believe the fleet boats in early '42 will assist at the very least in giving you intel on the enemies shipping lanes. 
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

Yes, I'm not saying it couldn't happen. I say improbable because of the fact that you cite 4 instances of circular runs out of how many thousands of torpedoes fired?

I say improbable because there is such a low chance of it happening. It can happen, and it if happens to you it is 100% bad, but in the overall picture you can reliably fire a straight running torpedo 99%+ of the time and it will run straight...or at least not in a complete circle.
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”