WW2 related Games to play while MWiF is in development

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

micheljq

WW2 related Games to play while MWiF is in development

Post by micheljq »

Hello,

Has anyone tried the new game published by Matrix - World War II : Time of Wrath?

I would be curious to have some comments if so.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Mike Parker

RE: WW2 related Games to play while MWiF is in development

Post by Mike Parker »

Its a good fun 'beer and pretzels' sort of WWII game.   I am indeed playing it in anticipation of MWIF.  Its a turn based, hex game with numbers on counters that have NATO symbols.  Although I am eagerly awaiting a counter mod that will make them look more authentic to me.  For some reason the designers decided to put the size indicator (XX XXX) BELOW the type box instead of above, that just irks my sense of right/wrong :)

If you have the money to spare, and need some fun wargaming its a good buy.

Note

European Theatre only, the classical Azores to the Urals, North Africa to Finland.

Naval and Air is very abstracted
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: micheljq

Hello,

Has anyone tried the new game published by Matrix - World War II : Time of Wrath?

I would be curious to have some comments if so.
The only alternative to MWiF is WiF FE under Vassal [:D] [:D] [:D].
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

To answer your question, I have lately been toying with the idea of checking out either:

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351 ... 's.Edition

or

Carriers at War

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/337 ... ers.at.War

which was a fun game when I played it in its previous version.

I am also looking forward to:

Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/320 ... .the.Reich

when it comes out because I really enjoyed the original 12 O'Clock High: Bombing the Reich

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/12o ... abs;images

even if it was a long game - lol. [8D]

micheljq

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: MajorDude

To answer your question, I have lately been toying with the idea of checking out either:

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351 ... 's.Edition

or

Carriers at War

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/337 ... ers.at.War

which was a fun game when I played it in its previous version.

I am also looking forward to:

Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/320 ... .the.Reich

when it comes out because I really enjoyed the original 12 O'Clock High: Bombing the Reich

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/12o ... abs;images

even if it was a long game - lol. [8D]

I saw Gary Grigsby's World at War? His game on the WW2 in Europe, i speak for myself but I say, Beuark!

If you want something on carriers you might want to try Uncommon Valor. [:)]
Michel Desjardins,
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

I was not a fan of Gary Grigsby's World at War.

12 O'Clock High: Bombing the Reich was quite different - very detailed, it even had the possibility to show air groups as moving plane symbols - kinda neat. The new version is supposed to 'spruce up' a number of things to make the game a little more 'finishable' and improve on playability - hopefully including other ways of doing things in game than having to left-mouse click 200 million times per game... [X(]

Uncommon Valor looks interesting.
andyinkuwait

Post by andyinkuwait »

Uncommon Valor is a smaller version of War in the Pacific and Admirals Edition requires War in the Pacific (not a stand alone). AE is due to be released in a few days but you need WitP to be installed to play it because they share files. UV is stand alone. They all have the same mechanics. VERY detailed planning is needed especially with logistics. Individual combat ships, tankers, LCU's, carriers,...everything is modelled to the nth degree. Typical turn may take an hour to plan out properly and, if you dont track very carefully what is happening,..the AI will hand you your ass very quickly. I love it but its not for everyone...
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Wow, did not know that War in the Pacific was such a monster game, seems interesting.
Michel Desjardins,
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

ORIGINAL: andyinkuwait

Uncommon Valor is a smaller version of War in the Pacific and Admirals Edition requires War in the Pacific (not a stand alone). AE is due to be released in a few days but you need WitP to be installed to play it because they share files. UV is stand alone. They all have the same mechanics. VERY detailed planning is needed especially with logistics. Individual combat ships, tankers, LCU's, carriers,...everything is modelled to the nth degree. Typical turn may take an hour to plan out properly and, if you dont track very carefully what is happening,..the AI will hand you your ass very quickly. I love it but its not for everyone...

Since earlier this week Matrix have decided that War in the Pacific Admirals Edition will be a stand alone release,see latest info Admirals edition pricing forum thread.[;)]
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
andyinkuwait

Post by andyinkuwait »

I'm planning turn 1 at the moment for WitP and I am up to 13 hours planning....this is typical btw and all part of why I like it. 30mile hexes over the whole of the 92000 square miles of the Pacific, individual ships, each turn 12 hours, total fog of war including false intel reports, 350 page manual (for AE), extremely high learning curve, supply, fuel, transferring resources back to Japan, factories and ground war. Its a big time committment........
hellfirejet

Post by hellfirejet »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Please forget everything I said before about Admiral's Edition pricing. No, seriously.

We had a long internal discussion after the initial wave of customer feedback. We appreciate our customers and strive to make you all happy. When we realized our original pricing plans were not actually achieving that goal, we decided to revisit the plans we had made to see what we could do. A primary concern that was expressed was that we should make Admiral's Edition more easily available to customers who have not played War in the Pacific and to put aside our concerns that without previous experience in WITP, Admiral's Edition might be too much to jump into.

For us, another serious concern was that if Admiral's Edition were to be made stand-alone, its price would have to be much higher. We decided to see what we could do to lower that stand alone price point while still giving existing WITP owners a discount for the same price point we had originally decided on.

The net result is the following, which we hope will be well received by both existing WITP owners and prospective customers who don't have WITP but are interested in owning the Admiral's Edition.

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition will now be a stand-alone release. It will NOT require War in the Pacific to install or to play. We still recommend that customers interested in Admiral's Edition give WITP a try first. The larger map scale, fewer units and larger number of shorter or smaller scenarios we feel are ideal to mastering the system before you proceed to Admiral's Edition. But if you want to jump right on in to AE, we won't stop you. Go right ahead. [8D]

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition will have a stand-alone price of $79.99 Download / $89.99 Physical.

Starting with the Admiral's Edition release, we will be running a 90 Day "Victory at Sea" sale. This sale will reduce the price of Uncommon Valor and War Plan Orange by $10 and War in the Pacific will be reduced by $20. It will run for three months after the Admiral's Edition release. The goal of this sale is to make these other games in the WITP "series" less expensive for those who might want to test the waters with WITP or complete their collection.

Also, for three months starting with the Admiral's Edition release, we will be offering a discount to existing owners of War in the Pacific. This discount will allow you to purchase the Admiral's Edition for $20 less than its normal stand-alone price. That means that it will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical for WITP owners for three months after the Admiral's Edition release. This is the same price point we discussed earlier. We strongly encourage ALL WITP owners to upgrade during this three month period, after which Admiral's Edition will only be available at the stand-alone price of $79.99 Download / $89.99 Physical.

Thanks again for your support and feedback. War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition is currently on schedule for a release before the end of July. I expect to be able to announce the actual release date in the next couple of days.

Regards,

- Erik

This is all info regarding WITP AE pricing release.
Regards,
Graham.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction! Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: andyinkuwait

What about Carrier at War compared to Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific?

I see that Uncommon Valor it's from 1942-43, but Carrier at War is from 1941 to 45. Is Carrier at War between Uncommon Valor and War in the Pacific in terms of complexity, number/lenght of scenarios/campaigns?

Thanks.
Michel Desjardins,
ItBurns

Post by ItBurns »

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

Its a good fun 'beer and pretzels' sort of WWII game.   I am indeed playing it in anticipation of MWIF.  Its a turn based, hex game with numbers on counters that have NATO symbols.  Although I am eagerly awaiting a counter mod that will make them look more authentic to me.  For some reason the designers decided to put the size indicator (XX XXX) BELOW the type box instead of above, that just irks my sense of right/wrong :)

If you have the money to spare, and need some fun wargaming its a good buy.

Note

European Theatre only, the classical Azores to the Urals, North Africa to Finland.

Naval and Air is very abstracted

I played Road to war which is the game that time of wrath is based upon and found the AI as well as the Naval and Air games to be very poor. The russians just deployed their units in circles around cities, I just isolated them and pounded the weakened units to dust then moved on to the next city.

I found this older Matrix game: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/344 ... t.War.Gold

to be more fun and a better challenge. The air units are differentiated into fighter, tac, strategic the AI is better and I absolutely LOVED the convoy system (the convoys are valued as production points, each loss destroys one and the Brits get the full value to spend immediatly upon their arrival in Britain). It really hurts the German when 30 point convoys arrive unmolested.
No sane man can afford to dispense with debilitating pleasures; and no ascetic can be considered reliably sane.
Froonp

Post by Froonp »

ORIGINAL: ItBurns
to be more fun and a better challenge. The air units are differentiated into fighter, tac, strategic the AI is better and I absolutely LOVED the convoy system (the convoys are valued as production points, each loss destroys one and the Brits get the full value to spend immediatly upon their arrival in Britain). It really hurts the German when 30 point convoys arrive unmolested.
And also when 100+ points convoy arrives in Murmansk unmolested... [:D] But to put things in perspective, in that game an armoured corps costs 80 points.
ItBurns

Post by ItBurns »

ORIGINAL: Froonp
ORIGINAL: ItBurns
And also when 100+ points convoy arrives in Murmansk unmolested... [:D] But to put things in perspective, in that game an armoured corps costs 80 points.
True but the convoys are numerous and increase in number and size as the war goes on. A constant 30 point bump is VERY nice for the Brits and another armored division every 3rd turn is sweet for the Russians. It makes the German pay attention to the convoy war.

I wish this was the game they made a improved version of.
No sane man can afford to dispense with debilitating pleasures; and no ascetic can be considered reliably sane.
emorbius44

Post by emorbius44 »

. AE is due to be released in a few days but you need WitP to be installed to play it because they share files.

Actually that's not true, they don't share any files. Matrix just changed their policy on this game last week and AE is now stand alone ($79.95) with a discount for WITP owners ($59.95)

Bob

SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Doh! Froonp beat me to it; [:D]
The only alternative to MWiF is WiF FE under Vassal
Selah!!
www.vassalengine.org/
http://www.theletterj.net/

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

I just purchased War in the Pacific, my PC at home actually download the game. There is a 20$ rebate because Admiral's edition is released.

I will have a look at this monster game tonight. [:)]

I saw Uncommon Valor in the past, and it seemed nice, and this WitP is his grand brother it seems.

in reply to andyinkuwait
Michel Desjardins,
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

I just saw that Gamespot released some nice screenshots for War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition:

"This expansion pack for War in the Pacific includes numerous new units and features, as well as one map of the entire theater of operations."

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/war ... %3Bimg%3B1

Cheesehead

Post by Cheesehead »

Anybody play Hearts of Iron 3 yet? Is it worth the effort?

Cheers

John
You can't fight in here...this is the war room!

Return to “World in Flames”