how many games....

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

AirGriff

RE: how many games....

Post by AirGriff »

Started several pbem's and they all fizzled for one reason or another. The one I'm on now looks like it's going to go all the way, though--we're in March '44 and still going strong.
Tofke

Post by Tofke »

Ah Rominet comment vas tu depuis le temps ? la petite a maintenant 1 an et j'ai plus de dispo pour witp, je joue contre l'ia et j'ai bientôt fini la campagne (22/01/44), je vais parfois faire un tour sur le site d'UV mais il n'y a pas beaucoup d'"activité", la sortie de ae arrive à grands pas... bizzz ma poule !!!
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

It would be fair assumption that one wouldn't have to worry about the replay value, not many people have completed a campaign more than once[:D] Pretty ironic that one of the most popular war games is rarely completed. I have had many starts no finishes.
Formerly Goodwood

Flying Tiger

Post by Flying Tiger »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

None. Started about 11 million, though...

That's coz you spend too much time on the forum, and no time playing!!

As for me, started many, only ever as Allies, and only ever against the AI. And sadly the AI has plenty of 'A', but not enough 'I' to provide an interesting game for the duration. I think my longest got to very late '43. That was my first game. I'm hoping AE provides a better challenge - i want to play with all those cool toys the Allies get in '44, '45, '46 etc!!
Mike Scholl

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger
As for me, started many, only ever as Allies, and only ever against the AI. And sadly the AI has plenty of 'A', but not enough 'I' to provide an interesting game for the duration. I think my longest got to very late '43. That was my first game. I'm hoping AE provides a better challenge - i want to play with all those cool toys the Allies get in '44, '45, '46 etc!!

AE should provide you with a better challange (if you play along historical lines), but the AI will always lack "I" with this program. Face it..., with the level of detail involved and the mass of units and information available, it's really amazing that the AI functions at all. Expecting it to be an effective opponant is like expecting your 5 year-old brother to give you a good game of chess.

Once you get AE "down pat", you really need to give PBEM a go and test yourself against an opponant that can react intelligently to your moves. Win or lose, it's a much more exciting experiance...
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

3 PBEMs , 1 AI , seven by one party or the other conceeding.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Gotten into 1945 twice with Dan Roper and Paul Layne as my opponents.

No you didn't! We ended on December 30, 1944! Wimp!

I do stand corrected my Noble and Most Worthy Opponent!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Started maybe eight or nine, but finished 4 as Allies vs. the AI.  The last one was over in January, 1944.  (It was the Big B mod).  I'm still playing it - I want to kick Japan back into the stone age.  They're already in the bronze age. I never lost the PI (even Manilla), or even most of the DEI except Borneo (Batavia even held out!), so it wasn't much of a challenge.  But, fun, nevertheless.

I have to play the AI because my work schedule would make me a lousy PBEMer.  And, I don't want to hear gloating from somebody who beats me.  [:D]

Maybe AE will make a better AI opponent.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Big B

Post by Big B »

I must admit I have never played one out (Grand Campaign) to the end. They always seem to end in late 1942 or 1943 because my opponents see the handwriting on the wall by that time. They never seem to want to hunker down in the Fuhrer Bunker and get pummeled into submission - while God sorts out the score.

I am not bitter about it - that is - I'm not bitter about not getting all of the best Allied toys to use. Actually, although I find it absolutely essential to design a game that plays out to the bitter end realistically. But for me, as a gamer, the real fun in gaming the Pacific war is 1942-1943 ... when the real issue may be in doubt.

My shortest mutually ended Grand Campaign PBEM lasted only until May 1942. It was actually my most satisfying game as well - because it was the only time I played a game where PH wasn't bombed, and I was therefore able to muster the entire undamaged Pacific Fleet, and some 1,500 US modern Combat Aircraft + several Infantry Divisions, and actually reinforce the DEI and Singapore - keeping everything but the P.I. from falling ... and drain the Japanese pilot pool to zilch in the process.

So, overall, I haven't dropped 'The Bomb' after 4+ years, but I have had MANY satisfying and interesting games, which is > price of admission.

[;)]

B
Barb

Post by Barb »

Unfortunately my pbem games ended in mid-late 1942 - opponents simply disappeared once their plans were thrown bit aside...[8|]
Yamato hugger

Post by Yamato hugger »

None actually finished to auto-victory. Got 1 into 1944 (thats the only one I got out of 1942). And I dont know that I would have won it, but I had enough points to ensure I could not lose it. In other words I dont know if I could have held on to a 1:1.5 or better into 1945, but the allies certainly would not have gotten to 1:1.5 over me.
Droop21

Post by Droop21 »

Like most started many, finished few : 3 against the AI. I played as allies and didn't stop at the autovictory in order to conquer Japan (at least part of before my interest really plumetted)
TommyG

Post by TommyG »

Started 26. All PBEM. Four played through tothe end in 1945 or later. Two decisive losses to IJ on 31Dec42. And one decisive victory in Dec44. Usually play four at a time but down to two now with AE doldrums.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Many starts against the AI, up to May or June 43 at most.[/align] [/align]One and only PBEM plodding along for 3.5 years now and has reached December 43.[/align]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Many starts against the AI, up to May or June 43 at most.[/align] [/align]One and only PBEM plodding along for 3.5 years now and has reached December 43.[/align]
Faster than Threadwar... we are >2.5 years and up to July 1942... [>:]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”