3.10 Feature: Database Altitude Limits and Targeting

Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare is the result of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. New features include, multiplayer support, third party databases, scenario editors, and OVER 300 pre-built scenarios!

Moderator: Harpoon 3

rsharp@advancedgamin

3.10 Feature: Database Altitude Limits and Targeting

Post by rsharp@advancedgamin »

There is an expansion of the altitude fields for 3.10. The actual limit of the data fields are beyond the practical limits of the subject matter. Several fields were expanded.

Sensors minimum and maximum altitude.
Weapons cruise altitude, launch altitude maximum, launch altitude minimum, minimum target altitude, and maximum target altitude.
Propulsion performance altitude fields were also expanded.

-edit Adding that the climb rate field for planes has also been expanded.

This will cause an increase in the size of the database files.

Also new is the enforcement of the target altitude limits. If the minimum and maximum target altitudes are non-zero than the weapon will be limited by the target's altitude.

Further details on target altitude fields for weapons:
For Missiles and Torpeodes:
Target altitude limits are absolute UNLESS the "Target Alt Limits Relative" weapon flag is set, in which case the limits are relative to the launching unit. This is primarily for AAMs, and SAMs that are limited in altitude by booster energy (particularly MANPADS types).

For Depth Charges and ASW Contact weapons:
Target altitude limits are absolute.

For all other weapons:
Target altitude limits are relative to the firing platform.

If the target is outside the altitude limits, the weapon will not be allocable and will not fire (attack status messages added).
If the target moves outside the altitude limits while the weapon is in transit, the attack will be ineffective (log message added).
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
hermanhum

some questions about Beta 3.10

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

Also new is the enforcement of the target altitude limits. If the minimum and maximum target altitudes are non-zero than the weapon will be limited by the target's altitude.
I always thought that the Weapon Max Alt was already enforced. For example, if a SAM had a Max Firing Alt of 3510m in H3, that meant it would not engage targets at 4000m. Is this still not the case? I do not understand what has changed. Can you clarify or provide an example of how and what has changed?
rsharp@advancedgamin

RE: some questions about Beta 3.10

There was a limitation on how the weapon could be fired using the launch altitude maximum. This limitation was based on the altitude of the launcher. Now there is an additional limitation available for the altitude of the target being fired at. So this new limitation could prevent AAA from knocking out something that is sub-orbital.

In the 3.8 and later, there was no target altitude limitation.

-edit As far as I know (which is 3.8 or so) there was no target altitude limitation.
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

There was a limitation on how the weapon could be fired using the launch altitude maximum. This limitation was based on the altitude of the launcher. Now there is an additional limitation available for the altitude of the target being fired at. So this new limitation could prevent AAA from knocking out something that is sub-orbital.
I've looked in the new 3.10 Game Editor and can see the additional fields for "Min & Max Target Altitude". In the absence of any entered values for these fields, will they default to the Min/Max Firing Altitude values of the weapon?

In the 3.8 and later, there was no target altitude limitation.

-edit As far as I know (which is 3.8 or so) there was no target altitude limitation.
I believe that you are mistaken. I just tested a SAM with 6,000m Max Firing Altitude in 394 vs a plane flying at 7,501m and could not engage it. As soon as the plane dove to 6000m, it was engaged and destroyed. This is the correct behaviour, IMO. This prevents SAMs like ManPADS Stingers and low-level SAMs like Rapier from engaging high flying bombers. Any change to remove such an altitude restriction would be calamitous.

Attachments
2.gif
2.gif (2.33 KiB) Viewed 149 times
rsharp@advancedgamin

When you say, "Max Firing Altitude", what field are you referring to?
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

That should read, "Max Launch Altitude" for the weapon.
rsharp@advancedgamin

The new target altitude fields limit what altitudes a target can be engaged at for the weapon.

Missiles and torpedos, are still limited by their propulsion. Please check your test for this.

The min and max target altitude fields limit what target altitudes can be engaged for all weapons. More information on this is posted on the original post.

If the max target altitude value is not greater than the min target altitude value (i.e. 0 and 0) then the fields will have no effect.
Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon
hermanhum

Post by hermanhum »

Missiles and torpedos, are still limited by their propulsion. Please check your test for this.
Re-checked and you are correct. The SAMs were being limited by their Propulsion unit max altitude limit and not by the Max Launch Altitude limit set for the weapon.

If the max target altitude value is not greater than the min target altitude value (i.e. 0 and 0) then the fields will have no effect.
Good to know that it should have no effect if both values are zero.

Return to “Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare”