What is the scale of units in GC?

World War II: General Commander is an introductory war strategy game which brings a unique mix of scale, combat dynamics, and force management. An intuitive combination of rules and controls will give beginning wargamers and real time strategy fans the opportunity to simulate Germany’s famous last Blitzkrieg from either side.
SlickWilhelm

What is the scale of units in GC?

Post by SlickWilhelm »

I thought I saw a screenshot where the US infantry units were in groups of 400. But I don't recall any unit of that size during WWII.

Wouldn't that be slightly more than 3 companies, or slightly less than half of a battalion?

Maybe I'm just ignorant. Anyone care to educate me?
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Erik Rutins

RE: What is the scale of units in GC?

Post by Erik Rutins »

Units are battalions. What you're seeing there as far as I know is meant to represent actual combat strength. So let's say 30 in a platoon, X4 = 120 for a Company x3 or x4 = 360 - 480 for a Battalion or somewhere thereabouts. In the developer's notes on the Wargamer, the designer also discusses how they decided to model units.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
GIveloper

Post by GIveloper »

[font="microsoft sans serif"]Hi,[/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"] [/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"]The question of size units is not a number; it is its strength in face of other unit types. In the documentation you have a table that provides you the combats times by unit against other unit type. That will be right reference.[/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"]400 men/battalions is an average...[/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"] [/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"]Victor.[/font]
WWII: GC Designer
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

I thought I saw a screenshot where the US infantry units were in groups of 400. But I don't recall any unit of that size during WWII.

Wouldn't that be slightly more than 3 companies, or slightly less than half of a battalion?

Maybe I'm just ignorant. Anyone care to educate me?

6 companies in a battalion?

I thought there were three rifle and one special/heavy (with the heavy being not a full sized 150 man rifle company).

I thought it was: (somewhere between paper and strong field strength)

10 man per squad
3 to 4 squads (+ special team) per platoon
3 platoons + one special per company (special is not 'full' comparatively)
3 companies + one heavy per battalion (again heavy is not 'full' sized).

2 to 3 battalions per Rgt.

--------

Some battalions are 'free' --not in a regiment (eg the recon battalion of a division); some companies are free too (eg heavy MG/weapons _company_ as divisional or korp protection but farmed out as needed too.)

==============
Division's assests:

(note there are different div types though: eg infantry, armor, heavy, lighter, motorized, fast)

-Stabff compan(ies) (intel, signal/commun, MP, even payroll etc)

-artillery rgt (4 tubes per battery --a "battery" is a company; 3 batteries per battalion); rgt compliment follows rule of... "2 or 3 regular + 1 heavy, fast, newer or special").

-recon battalion (occas just like 18+ vehicles, rather than 45+)

-engineer battalion (Note big-bridge engineer btn or rgt farmed out from korp command [korp also sometimes has its own arti btn /rgt etc)]

-rifle rgt --TIMES 2, or 3 EVEN

-anti tank battalion (in companies not batteries)

-Armour Rgt

-Assault gun Btn/company (not a 45+ vehicle battalion)

-AA attachment (or internal rarely)

(((((((((
As war progressed for Germans, battalions in reality were actually companies. Also Third Reich kept raising waves of new OOB and TOE. Each new one crafted smaller heavier divisions.

))))))))))

In divisions there are combat commands and operational commands. Fighting forces are comprised of the above assets rearranged into 'Combat Commands' or 'Kampfgruppen'; two or three per division (further broken down as needed for combat missions).

---
A brigade is Rgt sized without internal artillery, intel, Anti Tank or Recon support; dependent on others. Farmed out from Korp or higher.

Also, special vehicle btns farmed out from korp or higher command as needed. Eg Ferdinands/elefants, tiger IIs, horni/nashorn farmed out as 90+ vehicle rgt sized from Korp (though called btns --'abteilungen').

... I think...

(Awaiting corrections...)
test

GIveloper

Post by GIveloper »

Hi spellir74,

Your post is quite correct mostly to indicate what it should be and what it was… as many units (mostly German) were nominative more than really what was called (battalion, regiment or division). Indeed you have included one of the elements most important we missed in the design: the “Kampfgruppen”, an exclusive feature of German armies. We have the option to create group, but not hierarchy groups keeping the regiment (the most important organization inside the game) features as the standard deploy.

BTW, we can not forget the game is at Operational level, so we have done an abstraction of Battalions to move forward with Regiments and Divisions. In these two hierarchies the wargamer can design new scenarios in the editor based in closer historical force deployments or just to create new challenges.

Victor.
WWII: GC Designer

Return to “World War II: General Commander”