AI control

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Rasputitsa

AI control

Post by Rasputitsa »

I know that WitE is not an updated WIR, but a whole new system and much as I like WIR I am not expecting a re-hash of the old game. However, how much can be allocated to the AI to relieve the workload.

For instance, with WIR, selected HQs could be put under AI control, which was of limited use with capabilities of AI at the time, but it could provide some realism and help operate peripheral fronts. Allied forces, such as Finns, Rumanians, etc. had their own command structures and political imperatives, which would mean that they will not always do as you instruct. Under AI control they could have some independence and add some historical uncertainty.

It is easy to imagine that you can do better than OKH when you have complete control of all forces, but the Finns in particular had their own priorities. [:)]

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Northern Star

RE: AI control

Post by Northern Star »

If I were you I'd prefer to control all your forces in a pbem... the game is very realistic and it will be much more interesting[:)]
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

You cannot turn over control of HQ's to the AI. However, there are some issues involving support units (battalions of artillery, engineers, tank destroyers, etc.) that can be turned over to the computer. Also, air units will automatically rotate out when they take excessive losses. There are many air functions that are either handled automatically, or where you can tell the AI to execute what it thinks is the best missions. These things can speed up and simplify things for you.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks for the comments, looking forward to seeing the finished game. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

[font="times new roman"]At the start of my turns the first thing I do is select the Recon air mission and then select the AI button and the AI flies a whole bunch of recon missions for me. I put the message filter to 1 so I don’t slow down the process. What I see is a bunch of recon symbols flash up one at a time and hundreds of enemy units showing up. The cool thing about the Fog of War in this game is that the better the recon you do (Detection Level or DL) the better your combat chances will be. If you’re going to bomb airfields, you’ll want to get the DL up to 4 on the airbases. Air units can only recon up to DL 4. If you want to get it up higher you have to move next to the unit. Also at the DL level will determine what is displayed on the unit. The second thing I do is select Bomb Airfields and then hit the AI button and let the AI bomb the enemy airfields. For this operation I increase the message level so I can get an idea of the damage I’m doing (you also go to the losses page and see them to). There are other things that the AI can do like move your Support Units around based on the Level of Support required by each HQ. The Level of Support is player set. You can also lock this so the AI doesn’t go messing around the HQs your happy with.[/font]
[font="times new roman"] [/font]Hope this helps.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Kid, are you very satisfied with the AI competency in these air operations? Do you think that if you spent the time to manually conduct all of these mission that the outcome would be noticeably different?
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Really Ron has done so much to aid, Joel flips it to Gary, and Pavel checks everything, being Russian (really the Baltic States). Guys listen, it's research, testing, and repeat...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

The short answer is yes. Air units use up miles not turns, so a unit can fly multiple missions in a turn. You can always fly more recons in the areas you think requires closer attention. Also, you can manually bomb more airfields. I'm hoping that some of the other missions like, Bomb City, Bomb Unit and Air Re-supply will be automated. On turn one, as the Germans, I normally destroy around 3,500 aircraft using the AI. I'm on turn 17 now and I'm destroying a lot fewer each turn. Some turns I opt not to fly the bomb airfield mission using AI because I want to make sure that I have lots of missions left for ground support. If you let the AI run the missions, it will fly a lot of them. To manually attack you select the mission type and then right click the target. The computer selects the correct type of aircraft that are in range and picks how many to send on the run. If you want more control, you can Shift + right click and then you get the option to select the units you want on the mission form a list of units within range of the target.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

siRkid

Post by siRkid »

ORIGINAL: Arinvald
Do you think that if you spent the time to manually conduct all of these mission that the outcome would be noticeably different?

I don't think there would be that much diffrence.

sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

Sounds good.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Sorry if this has been asked. Can you give HQ's orders to carry out or does every division/piece have to be manually ordered? I'm not sure if that is what you meant with  " You cannot turn over control of HQ's to the AI ".
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Each division/counter must be moved by the player.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”