3rd SS Panzer Corp

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Crazy Aido

3rd SS Panzer Corp

Post by Crazy Aido »

I do love a big game, but when one os faced with the problem of long set ups and no way of changing after turning off the PC, it gets a little scary, but thanks to some suggestions from you guys, I can finally do something I've always wanted, a late '44 game with a truly massive formation.

I'm playing storm on the reich and so far my first game hasn't even started, I'm still setting up! But I'm still having a good laugh with it. The initial unit focus seemed way to far forward and concentrated. I split the map into three zones, each one commanded by one of the divisions in the Corp. From there, I started deploying one regiment forward, with a good amount of the mobile stuff in reserve and static stuff, like the AA battalion and AT battalion, reinforcing the the defense regiment's position.

Here's how it's looking at the mo...

As you can see, there's a perimetre of units around the hill, with some artillery higer up. I haven't added the supporting units, or the regiment's support compnay, which I intend to have as a local reserve. I was planning on having some units from the AA battalion on the higher contours, to blast stuff and provide cover.
Attachments
Firsthill.jpg
Firsthill.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 324 times
War assumes human weakness, against this, it is directed.
Crazy Aido

RE: 3rd SS Panzer Corp

Post by Crazy Aido »

So here's the motor division layout in the centre of the battlefeild. There's a panzer division each side, which I'm working on, as well as all the support formations. Butit's proceeding reasonably quickly...

Aaaaand I've messed up the file, sorry.

Here's a battalion position form one of the panzer divisions on the left of the motor division, sorry!

Attachments
Left panze..st batt..jpg
Left panze..st batt..jpg (181.94 KiB) Viewed 321 times
Crazy Aido

Post by Crazy Aido »

Aaaaand here's the motor division position, in installments.

The hill from before, reinforced with elements from the AA batt.

Stug's from the assault gun battalion are in the rear as a reserve.

Attachments
Hillpos.1.jpg
Hillpos.1.jpg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 321 times
andym

Post by andym »

Nice, i like large scenarios as well.Have you tried the "Overlord" Scenario?Thats as big as they come!
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
Crazy Aido

Post by Crazy Aido »

*raises a cautious eyebrow*

Oh? What's that then?
andym

Post by andym »

Basically its D -Day,it has over 1400.....YES 1400 turns!
Crazy Aido

Post by Crazy Aido »

[X(]

This is on the game right? It's not a mod? I can handle a mod though, but it's real, right?

Right?

Don't lie to me, don't break my itty bitty heart.
andym

Post by andym »

Its a scenario you can download from the blitz site,its easy to install it as well,cos if i can do it then you can!Its freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theblitz.org/index.php or

http://www.wargamer.com./

Aslo look here

tm.asp?m=1989260
Crazy Aido

Post by Crazy Aido »

Well I don't haveany pictures with me, but it should be easy enough to explain what's happening to me.

I am currently, NOT doing as well as I would like to be. I am winning, but the AT battalions and infantry battalions on defence are getting the most horredous mauling.

I get the feeling my defence in depth wasn't as deep as it should have been, also, I probably should have resent op fire so they engaged at shorter range.

Welcome to the learning curve Aido!
Crazy Aido

Post by Crazy Aido »

Ok, so far the situation continues as normal.

On the left flank, the lead battalion and AT positions have gotten about as mangalled as they're going to get, the initial T-34 assault failed, mostly through the valient efforts of the defending troops. The panzer regiment has moved up, is moving through around minefeilds that I rather thoughtlessly placed and are currently mopping up. On the very far left, were I've seen very little action, I've spotted assault guns and some gaurds motor units. The potential for excitement there grows.

The centre is pretty dead. A big ol' pile o' armour tried to push through at the hill I showed above, but it's not really getting anywhere. On the far right, The other pnazer division has mobilised a lot of it's elements and is moving forward, it seems like the majority of the enemy armour has been commited and my recon and infantry units are now driving into scattered infantry and artillery units.

I am learning a few things re: big units in campaigns.

1. Don't cause traffic jams, especially when defending. I'm better off not deploying the trucks and transports of defending units, they obstruct follow up units.

2. Defend deeper! I really just made a big stupid line and waited for the enemy. I might have been better off with individual reinforced battalions holding strongpoints.

3. Put more stuff in reserve. It's really just hanging around at the back there, clogging roads and waiting to get hit with artillery.

4. Keep reserves. Don't deploy a certain amount of my forces, I'll need them later. In particular, soft units like SP AA and armoured cars take a ferocious pounding but are still really useful so I need to keep some back for later games.
Crazy Aido

Post by Crazy Aido »

Here's an idea of what happened in the first few turns, it's quitened down since then, but still, some bad things are happening...

Attachments
Russians attack.jpg
Russians attack.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 322 times
pvthudson01

Post by pvthudson01 »

Ugh why do people post AAR's in that ugly view? use 3D! :)
Matrix Member since 2003!
scottintacoma

Post by scottintacoma »

If you do not use 3D, why would you switch to post. I never use 3D.

Return to “After Action Reports”