West, Italian fronts and Reich air defense?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

borjsgm

RE: West, Italian fronts and Reich air defense?

Post by borjsgm »

I agree with Ironduke on having some sort of system for "panic" cues that release german units from other fronts. It undoubtedly will be a compromise solution (if one is used) that will mean lots of bwm from some, but...
1. Certain number of german divisions destroyed/surrounded?
2. Certain key cities taken?
3. Certain distance of advance?

Just thoughts...

BTW Maybe this will be aval after I come back from iraq...that would be a nice homecoming gift...
Alexander Seil

Post by Alexander Seil »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: J Boomer

A game simulating the whole ETO would have been nice. However this games seems big as it is. Am looking forward to it. I wonder if War in the West is next...

A War in the West would REALLY be the holy grail of wargames methinks. Perhaps War in the East will be to a War in the West what Uncommon Valor was to War in the Pacific?

There are a lot of inherent problems with trying to do large strategic games, where decisions really are strategic, and then confining them to an artificial area. If you just take the Western Front, you'd end up sitting through many turns (80%) or so of the game where your units do nothing other than dig trenches along the French coast. Such a treatment needs other theaters to keep the player entertained, and to emphasize that decisions taken on one front influence other fronts.
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

War in the West would need to include Italy & North Africa - to keep it interesting.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Romdanzer

Post by Romdanzer »

I think the idea of forcing the west to  be historical rather restricting. It really puts a damper on any "what-if" situational thinking.

Now I understand the need to reduce the size of the game - but couldn't some simplfied system of western and mediterranean fronts be incorporated like in WIR? I really liked that system where you could put more into those fronts to try and prolong a Western Allied victory or even create a stalemate with luck. Or also take away from those fronts and run the risk of an earlier front collapse. (i.e influeceing the events on those fronts with the amounts of units). Nothing fancy - just a box and results - very similar to like in WIR. That gave you at least some feel of being able to do something instead of nothing with respect to those fronts.

Romdanzer

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”