PM Bombardment

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

ILCK

PM Bombardment

Post by ILCK »

Just returned to UCV after a layoff. Started up as the Allies. Things are going about typical but I'm encountering something a bit new. The IJN has developed magical BB's and CA's that can apparently start from out of airstrike range (heck out of PBY range), sail up to PM, pound the airbase and then runaway, again, out of air range in the 8-12 hours of darkness. They been able to basically put tne airbase out of commission and can keep it out with these unhittable surface forces. In clear weather they even sailed past some CV's 3 hexes southeast of PM. my air will hit naval targets - they've been savaging the supply ships coming into GG but will not hit the bombardment fleets.

I'm guessing mines are my friend to stop them but the CD units are having zippo effect.
Kingfisher

RE: PM Bombardment

Post by Kingfisher »

Forget about placing your carriers near PM. Bombardment missions are run at night, so your carriers will most likely not spot them once they've rounded the corner at GG. Instead, head east. There is a spot just NE of GG where the bombardment TFs pause to assemble for their high speed dash to PM. Place a carrier TF within 5-6 hexes of this spot.
"splendid was their tactic of diving upon our force from the direction of the sun, taking advantage of intermittent clouds"

-Captain Takahisa Amagai, KAGA, June 4th 1942
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

If you position your CVTF E SE of GG then you also leave a rapid beeline out of there if the KB comes a calling.  Don't pin yourself against the reefing in that area.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
borner

Post by borner »

yes, Japan can start off G-G, run to PM, and be back out of air range. About twice what the movement circle says it can do. I never have understood.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

ORIGINAL: borner

yes, Japan can start off G-G, run to PM, and be back out of air range. About twice what the movement circle says it can do. I never have understood.
If the bases are close enough ditto with the FT [:@] movement, although there are work arounds for that.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: ILCK

I'm guessing mines are my friend to stop them but the CD units are having zippo effect.

In additon to mines and CDs, how abt some PTs?

Put the PTs in separate fleets of 3-6 boats to maximize the chance of a good dice roll.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
MikeB20

Post by MikeB20 »

PTs are amazingly effective at soaking up a raiding Japanese surface TF's operation points.
After encountering two or three small PT fleets(and with a little luck going the allies way, suffering  a few torpedo hits) it's amazing how often a mighty Japanese bombardment TF will just head back to base [:D]
When I'm playing as allies against the AI, the Japanese seem frightened of the PT boats.

A human opponent playing as IJN on the other hand might just send in his destroyers and sink all the PTs [:(]
"Hey, Mac, are you a Marine?"
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: MikeB20

... A human opponent playing as IJN on the other hand might just send in his destroyers and sink all the PTs [:(]

Do you recall the title of the John Ford movie abt these mightly little boats?"
"They were Expendable," and at one point per boat in UV, they certainly are.

Same holds true for WitP/AE.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”