A Vow of Celibacy

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

bobogoboom

RE: A Vow of Celibacy

Post by bobogoboom »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Enjoy the hike but if you hear banjos start running.
well, enjoy the music, but be ready to bolt if you see Ned Beatty run by on all fours squealin' like a pig...
are you speaking from personal experiance[:'(]
I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.
Sig art by rogueusmc
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Dan, what section are you hiking this time? (or did you hike if you don't see this until after your return)???

fair winds,
Brad
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Enjoy the hike but if you hear banjos start running.

I used to hike the Chatooga on a regular basis. There's a good trail on the South Carolina side, but my favorite area was a few miles away in Georgia where the West Fork of the Chatooga is created at Three Forks. There's a couple of great swimming holes in that area...
fair winds,
Brad
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

We're planning to hike a 37- or 40-mile section from Dicks Creek Gap (GA) to Wallace Gap or Winding Stair Gap (NC).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Are you sure you want to do 10 miles a day with kids and backpacks (I assume)? I suppose it wouldnt be too bad if there isn't much of a climb. I guess I am extrapolating from the Sierras where the best trails are at 7,500-12,000 ft and usually involve a good climb. I realize the Appalachians have been ground down a bit.
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

If you guys ever get the chance you should do Big Bend and Guadalupe.............some good hiking to had at both loacations!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Actually, the Appalachian Trail is a little tougher to hike than the PCT. On the AT you are dealing with a lot more ups and downs throughout the day (2 miles up, 1.5 down, 3 miles up, 4 down, etc) while on the PCT you'll have a lot longer climbs but fewer of them. Now if you aren't acclimated to the altitude the PCT can kill you, but once you're adjusted to the elevation I find the PCT to be easier... at least that is my experience (which is substantial on both trails).

Have fun, Dan.
fair winds,
Brad
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Dear Diary,

On day 93 of my celibacy, I have just returned from a delightful stroll along the Appalachian Trail with my sons and a family friend.  There's nothing like carrying a heavy pack long distances up mountain trails frequented by biting gnats, bears, and coyotes.  That, however, would not be an accurate description of our 37-mile walk.  We had a great time, encountered nothing precarious, and the tough things (exertion, sweat, the occasional bug or howling coyote) made the good things better by way of contrast.

Once again, it was interesting to have a mind totally free of WitP "planning."  I think, however, that the game lurks not very far from my conscious thoughts, because shortly after returning home I checked into the forums to find out what is going on in "The First Team" AAR and also to find out the AE news.  The latter is disconcerting because it has become clear that the game will be released this month.  I think my celibacy will celibrate the 100-day mark, but thereafter I fear I will feel the temptations of AE, foul temptress she is.

Canoerebel
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
ChickenOfTheSea

Post by ChickenOfTheSea »

ORIGINAL: captskillet

If you guys ever get the chance you should do Big Bend and Guadalupe.............some good hiking to had at both loacations!

I agree with Capt Skillet. Those parks are both beautiful hiking country. I found the first week in May to be an excellent time and did that several years in a row back in the 1980's. Now I live in Virginia, however, and age and weight have taken their toll on my hiking enthusiasm. My body now is more suited to AE, so bring it on.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Dan

Celibacy, be damned!  You return from your stroll with the boys and view the AARs, post as to how you're holding up....maybe drooling over AE....[;)]
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
BrucePowers

Post by BrucePowers »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Are you sure you want to do 10 miles a day with kids and backpacks (I assume)? I suppose it wouldnt be too bad if there isn't much of a climb. I guess I am extrapolating from the Sierras where the best trails are at 7,500-12,000 ft and usually involve a good climb. I realize the Appalachians have been ground down a bit.

[:D][:D]
For what we are about to receive, may we be truly thankful.

Lieutenant Bush - Captain Horatio Hornblower by C S Forester
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Dear Diary,

On day 93 of my celibacy, I have just returned from a delightful stroll along the Appalachian Trail with my sons and a family friend.  There's nothing like carrying a heavy pack long distances up mountain trails frequented by biting gnats, bears, and coyotes.  That, however, would not be an accurate description of our 37-mile walk.  We had a great time, encountered nothing precarious, and the tough things (exertion, sweat, the occasional bug or howling coyote) made the good things better by way of contrast.

Once again, it was interesting to have a mind totally free of WitP "planning."  I think, however, that the game lurks not very far from my conscious thoughts, because shortly after returning home I checked into the forums to find out what is going on in "The First Team" AAR and also to find out the AE news.  The latter is disconcerting because it has become clear that the game will be released this month.  I think my celibacy will celibrate the 100-day mark, but thereafter I fear I will feel the temptations of AE, foul temptress she is.

Canoerebel

What part of the trail?
----

I note you have canoe as part of your name...if you have the time I highly recommend a three day trout license, a canoe and a stay at the Corps of Engineers camp site just below Center Hill Dam on the Caney Fork River just west of Cookeville, TN. I limited out on Rainbows everyday during the week I was there and my uncle landed a 20+inch Brown on our final day...
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: treespider
What part of the trail?
----
I note you have canoe as part of your name...if you have the time I highly recommend a three day trout license, a canoe and a stay at the Corps of Engineers camp site just below Center Hill Dam on the Caney Fork River just west of Cookeville, TN. I limited out on Rainbows everyday during the week I was there and my uncle landed a 20+inch Brown on our final day...

We backpacked 37 miles from Dicks Creek Gap, Georgia, to Wallace Gap, North Carolina. On the first day we reached the North Carolina line, a personal landmark for me as I had finally completed the Georgia section of the trail - 75 miles divided over three hikes over three successive summers. We hope to hike the stretch from Wallace Gap to Fontana Dam later this year, followed by the Great Smoky Mountain National Park segment next year.

I am indeed a canoeist, although I do much less of that now than I did in the past. It seems to be easier to hike with children than it is to canoe, at least for me and my family. In my younger years, I had my eyes set on the Obed and Emory, but never managed to get there. Thanks for the suggestion!
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Western Colorado. Fantastic combination of whitewater and gigantic brown trout.

According to the BLM it is canoeable but you would have to be some kind of expert. Better would be a kayak or raft. What makes the fishing so good is low flow during the summer, an absolutely epic stone fly hatch and difficult access. You would have to carry your kayak down from the rim but you can hire a pack mule for your raft and ice chests, stove and river potty.

You can easily go 2 or 3 d without seeing anyone other than your party.

The Hall of the River Gods is absolutely sublime. The canyon narrows to about 25 feet and is almost in perpetural shade because the canyon sides are 300 ft vertical. You can sit in your raft and bounce a stonefly off of either wall. It drives the trout crazy. when they hear it hit, they alert and will surge up from the deep
as soon as the fly hits the water. You will have a fish on with almost every cast. Ahhhhh...

Of course, you have to time a low flow from the dam with the stonefly hatch. [:)] Even if you are not a fly fishing nutbar the class III rapids are a hoot.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/ggnca/gorgephotos.html
treespider

Post by treespider »

Can't say my back would be up for the whitewater...but the trip sounds intriguing. I gather there are guide groups?
Here's a link to:

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
treespider

Post by treespider »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
What part of the trail?
----

We backpacked 37 miles from Dicks Creek Gap, Georgia, to Wallace Gap, North Carolina. On the first day we reached the North Carolina line, a personal landmark for me as I had finally completed the Georgia section of the trail - 75 miles divided over three hikes over three successive summers. We hope to hike the stretch from Wallace Gap to Fontana Dam later this year, followed by the Great Smoky Mountain National Park segment next year.

I am indeed a canoeist, although I do much less of that now than I did in the past. It seems to be easier to hike with children than it is to canoe, at least for me and my family. In my younger years, I had my eyes set on the Obed and Emory, but never managed to get there. Thanks for the suggestion!

I had a friend try to hike south many,many years ago from the North end ..the trip ended in near disaster after about two weeks as he got the runs...so he decided to head home only to be mugged in NYC near a bus station. The whole experience sounded awful...except for the fact that it was always a great story over a few cold ones.

Here's a link to:

Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Can't say my back would be up for the whitewater...but the trip sounds intriguing. I gather there are guide groups?

Yes...there are guided 2 or 3 day rafting trips. Some of the rapids would be portageable but not all. You could get out and clamber over the boulders and let the guide do it.[:)]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Dear Diary,

It's day 100 of my celibacy - can it be? 

I've floated a couple of AE-match offers to my usual opponents, John 3rd and Miller, but neither believes they'll be available for a match for at least several months.  Taking this as a sign from on high, I have decided to continue to observe my vow for the foreseeable future.  Heck, I haven't even looked at the recently-released manual yet.

So, what has 100 days of celibacy wrought?  I have spent alot more time outdoors - primarily running and mountain biking.  I have also been more productive at work.

But there's still a gaping hole that WitP filled oh, so well. 

Oh well.

Canoerebel
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Let me get LIFE settled and THEN "I'm your Huckleberry!"

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I'm not sure what being somebody's "Huckleberry" entails, but it's gotta be better than being somebody's Dingleberry.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”