HPS Games: Looking for Recommendations

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

HPS Games: Looking for Recommendations

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. I think I may finally break down and get one of the HPS games so at least I can say I've tried one. The graphics don't look all that great but I hear there are some fan made graphics mods and stuff out there.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good game to get from the HPS site? I've been eying the Panzer Campaign Series Kursk '43. Also the newer Total War in Europe: First Blitzkrieg looks kind of good. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do the Panzer Campaign series or the Total War in Europe series have good AI? What is the best game in the series?

Thanks.
Big B

RE: HPS Games: Looking for Recommendations

Post by Big B »

I have Sicily '43. It's true the graphics could use a little help - but the only thing I really don't care for is the GUI. I think it's too old fashioned and non-intuitive for my tastes.

But the AI is good, and the detail excellent.

I chose Sicily '43 because it has about the biggest longest complete campaign they have - on a huge map (you know us WitP'ers like big long campaigns [;)] )

B
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Gary,

If you want to save $10 to $20, go to this link for the Naval Warfare Simulations store. They sell HPS games at a considerable discount. I've ordered many games from them and they are a very reliable dealer. And you will still be supporting HPS by buying their games no matter what price you pay.
http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/noname.html

As a side note, I've primarily purchased HPS's Civil War Campaign games and their newer ancients series so I can't give you much info on the WWII and Modern games. As many people have said, the AI leaves a lot to be desired, but the research and basic game models are very well done. These games excel at human to human play but you can get by with the AI similar to playing a board wargame solitaire. Customer support and game updates are frequent and well supported.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hey thanks Dave! That will make things a lot less painful! [&o]

@Big B: Thanks for the recommendation, B. I'll take a look at Sicily.

Does anyone have Kursk '43 or First Blitzkrieg who can give a kind of review of how good they are?
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

My favorite is Panzer Campaigns:Stalingrad '42.People seem to like Total War in Europe but I'm not a fan of that scale and sticking with Panzer Campaigns.Musket and Pike:The Renaissance is a superb title.I also enjoy the Campaign 1776 of the Early American Battle Series.Graphics aren't that bad and I think that once you play the game graphics wont matter.Like all John Tiller games, it shines in PBEM.[8D]
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

What about the GUI? Big B touched on something that I'm a bit concerned with. Looking at the HPS Panzer Campaign interface in the screenies it looks like it may be difficult to master. [:o]
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

John Tiller's Interface has been the same since the beginning.Trust me you will pick up the interface very quickly.Plus he uses the same interface in everygame he does(even his Modern air power and Naval Campaigns Series) so even across different series you will know how to play the game.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the First Blitzkrieg title. It looks like a theater of the war which would be interesting to me. I almost bought the Kursk one but thought better of it for an introductory game. It sounds like there are more diverse campaigns to choose from in the First Blitzkrieg than in the Kursk title. In First Blitzkrieg you can choose between Poland, Denmark, Norway, Low Countries or France campaigns. I checked out a review at Amazon and it looked pretty favorable except for the fact that there is no "Grand" campaign involving Germany vs Allies. Instead they have each campaign broken off separately.

Thanks for the website recommendation Dave! I saved at least $20 on it I'm guessing. Just hope it turns out to be a good game. I'm an Amazon member myself so I may do a review on it there since there seem to be very few reviews of HPS games there.
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

My favorite is Panzer Campaigns:Stalingrad '42.People seem to like Total War in Europe but I'm not a fan of that scale and sticking with Panzer Campaigns.Musket and Pike:The Renaissance is a superb title.I also enjoy the Campaign 1776 of the Early American Battle Series.Graphics aren't that bad and I think that once you play the game graphics wont matter.Like all John Tiller games, it shines in PBEM.[8D]
I agree about Campaign 1776. A superb "grand" tactical game for American Revolutionary War battles. Unit counters are usually less tha 50 men each, cannon are usually 1 gun per counter. Musket range is 4 hexes and rifle range is 8 hexes. Same basic Tiller platform but with a distinctive feel.

And again I feel the need to thank the folks at Matrix for letting us discuss some of our favorite non-Matrix games on their forums. Another reason why Matrix is at the top of the wargame market.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs
And again I feel the need to thank the folks at Matrix for letting us discuss some of our favorite non-Matrix games on their forums. Another reason why Matrix is at the top of the wargame market.

Indeed! Thank you Matrix! [&o][&o]
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

I owned Smolensk '41 many years ago and liked it and the AI wasn't completely useless. I also owned The First Blitzkrieg a couple of years ago and was disappointed with the AI. I also owned Punic War and the interface was really cludgey and was a chore to wade through. The Napoleonic games are solid but the AI is weak. Owned several Civil War titles several years ago and Shiloh was very good. Antietam and Gettysburg were solid but again email is your best bet. I just ordere Renaissance. I really don't think that the interface is bad at all except for the Ancients games. You will have no problem picking up on it very quickly.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

I owned Smolensk '41 many years ago and liked it and the AI wasn't completely useless. I also owned The First Blitzkrieg a couple of years ago and was disappointed with the AI. I also owned Punic War and the interface was really cludgey and was a chore to wade through. The Napoleonic games are solid but the AI is weak. Owned several Civil War titles several years ago and Shiloh was very good. Antietam and Gettysburg were solid but again email is your best bet. I just ordere Renaissance. I really don't think that the interface is bad at all except for the Ancients games. You will have no problem picking up on it very quickly.

The Ancient Games aren't designed by John Tiller.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

The Ancient Games aren't designed by John Tiller.

Right, I was just listing the HPS games I had played. The interface and turn progression is completely different. I actually prefer WEGO and thought I would love the Ancients engine but it just fell flat.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

Save your $$$$$ and pick another company.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: madgamer

Save your $$$$$ and pick another company.

Madgamer

Too late. I'll post a link to my review of the game at Amazon when I do it, though. [:)]
JRodda

John Tiller's WW2 Campaign

Post by JRodda »

Other people in this forum recommended the John Tiller WW2 Campaign series to me, and I have not been disappointed at all.  It's been a long time since I've played such a satisfying game.  The game is very realistic and has tons of scenarios and campaigns, including the Grossdeutschland Division at Kursk.  I'm currently playing the Case Blue campaign as a Germans Panzergrenadier commander (Steiner [;)]), and it has been a blast.  Although it is (like most Matrix games) turn-based, it puts to shame all those myraids off WW2 Real-time strategy games on the market.  I say half-joking and half-seriously that the John Tiller WW2 Campaign series should keep me plenty busy until such time as Blizzard finally gets around to releasing Starcraft 2.  lol
E

Post by E »

and the AI wasn't completely useless.
That's probably the biggest recommendation I've ever read... for any wargame! *grin*

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

ORIGINAL: E

and the AI wasn't completely useless.
That's probably the biggest recommendation I've ever read... for any wargame! *grin*

Yeah, it's slim pickings out there. PBEM has ruined me from ever playing a wargame solo again.
E

Post by E »

Yeah, it's slim pickings out there. PBEM has ruined me from ever playing a wargame solo again.
Solo wargaming is the entire reason I bought my first computer. Being as I still suck at wargaming, I don't have as much problem with AI incompetence as most. *grin?*
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

I cannot understand why HPS games encounter so much flak on this site, mostly on graphics and the AI.
I consider the Panzer/Modern Campaigns, ACW and Napoleonic games with maps and OOB the best PBEM games.
With at least 60 original games produced and more in the works they must be doing something right, and even Matrix produce upgraded versions of John Tillers early games.

Would recommend France'40 or Normandy'44 with Sicily'43 maybe more manageable for a first full campaign.
For WW3 Danube Front'85 has the full campaign map from Denmark down to Austria with a detailed OOB, great value for the money, and mods available for a 1989 version.

OK I have some Matrix games but only play WitP but thats on hold until AE arrives later this month.

Return to “General Discussion”