AE's price

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

berto

AE's price

Post by berto »

At the risk of provoking controversy, here goes...

I suspect that, by forced bundling of AE with the original WitP, Matrix will lose many unit sales and quite possibly diminish their overall revenue.

By bundling both games, Matrix might be setting the price bar so high as to alienate

--casual gamers
--the curious, try-it-and-see-if-i-like-it crowd
--the free-time challenged
--the financially strapped
--game collectors
--other fence sitters (e.g., those poor sods who need their wife's permission before buying)

I have a strong interest in this conflict (I minored in Chinese language and history in college; I've lived in the Philippines for six years and am married to a Filipina; I'm just fascinated by the Pacific War), but I'm chronically short of free time, and I tend not to like monster games, especially insofar as they fall short in the realism department. (I mean to say, if I'm going to commit hundreds and hundreds of hours to a game, it had better be a d@mn good, realistic simulation of the topic. Realism and historical fidelity are all-important to me.)

Especially for the scenarios--more, please!!--I might buy AE. I could see myself committing months of my life to playing scenarios. But years-long grand campaigns? Hardly likely.

For years, I bought and bought many games that I never actually played. In a past life, as a former wastrel, I would have bought AE (and before it WitP) in an instant, no question. Oohed and aahed over the maps. And quite possibly never actually played it.

Over the years, I've wasted thousands of dollars on dozens of games I never really played.

I can't afford that anymore.

I'm in a quandary here: I'd like finally to purchase this game (I've been lurking at the WitP fora for years), but AE+WitP? The combined price I expect will be just too steep.

PLEASE NOTE: In general, I don't like whiners who complain about the supposed "high" cost of games. Compared to the, IMO, truly high cost of dining out, attending concerts and sporting events, vacationing, etc., hour for hour, dollar for dollar, these games are by far the best entertainment value out there... if the games are really played.

I don't "buy" (literally or figuratively) the argument that one should gladly purchase training-wheels WitP as a warm-up to the big act, AE. Who really believes that first-time buyers will devote serious time to playing and learning WitP when the new-and-improved AE beckons?

There are many other fence sitters like me, I suspect. And if Matrix sets the WitP+AE bundle price too high, I suspect that many people will remain sitting on that fence.

To me, this seems more reasonable: Offer a stand-alone AE mid-way between the price of stand-alone WitP and the combined WitP+AE bundle. In other words:

WitP price < AE price < WitP+AE bundle price.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm sure the bean counters at Matrix know their business better than me.

Just MHO.

Now, excuse me as I run for cover...
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
SuluSea

RE: AE's price

Post by SuluSea »

If the price of AE is less than WITP as has been reported then it is a steal for all people who purchase the game.
Over the years, I've wasted thousands of dollars on dozens of games I never really played.

Sell some of those games on Ebay and you'll have plenty to cover the price of BOTH games.

I expect WITP to have it's niche just like UV does and people are still playing Pac War.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
Sell some of those games on Ebay and you'll have plenty to cover the price of BOTH games.

In the pre-Ebay era, I sold off my 100-title board game collection (the remaining half of them to a nerdy teenager at $1 a pop) before venturing off as a U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer (ha! the irony! yes, I served in the Philippines).

I don't have those resources anymore. [:(]
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Well consider this: World of Warcraft (WoW), the largest MMORPG charges approximately $45 (US) for their software. You then have to pay them $15 (US) to play. When they do a new expansion there charage an additional $45 for the new software and still get you $15 per month. Oh and yes you need the previous version to be able to play the newest version.

So in my mind a one time outlay of some dollars for hours, day, weeks, months, years, eons of FREE playing time after that seems like a pretty good deal. JOMHO
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
berto

Post by berto »

If I were certain that I really would play this game for hundreds of hours, honestly, I would even pay a few hundred dollars for AE.

But it's the uncertainty. What if, like so many games before, it just winds up on the shelf, unplayed? Then I'd regret paying "only" $100-$150 (or whatever the WitP+AE bundle price might be). I really can't predict beforehand how I might respond to the AE challenge.

One can't be too careful with one's money nowadays. Consider me now risk averse.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I find it slightly amusing that people continue to speculate about AE's price being "too high" WHEN NOBODY HAS TOLD THEM THE PRICE YET!!!!!
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I find it slightly amusing that people continue to speculate about AE's price being "too high" WHEN NOBODY HAS TOLD THEM THE PRICE YET!!!!!

Point well taken. If I'm pleasantly surprised by AE's low price, issue resolved, I'll buy it!
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

You would have to take the plunge or wait for another holiday sale. Myself I own all Matrix titles I'm interested in with the exception of Kharkov DotD. This one I may pick up when it drops in price.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

Berto
&nbsp;
If you really like the WWII Pacific theatre as&nbsp;I do, and you enjoy good quality wargames, you will not be dissappointed in this one. If this game is even close to what the older version was, and from what I see and have read, it will go beyond that..then this will be one of those games that will be on my computer for a long, long time to come.
&nbsp;
Andy
AttuWatcher

Post by AttuWatcher »

ORIGINAL: berto

I have a strong interest in this conflict (I minored in Chinese language and history in college

Nice, me too (going through college now, minor in Chinese)
In a past life, as a former wastrel, I would have bought AE (and before it WitP) in an instant, no question. Oohed and aahed over the maps. And quite possibly never actually played it.

I'm in a quandary here: I'd like finally to purchase this game (I've been lurking at the WitP fora for years), but AE+WitP? The combined price I expect will be just too steep.

I'm in your position. I have pretty much made up my mind to buy the WiTP+AE bundle (if there is one) and hoping that it doesn't cost more than $140. I don't buy the whole WiTP training wheels point either, people already playing the game have a harder time understanding this, but if you have to learn from scratch you might as well start with AE.

A good thing about having both is that you can play more scenarios. (searching for positives to having both here)

Bottom line though...when staring the price tag in the face...there is nothing out there that competes with WiTP/AE in this gaming category. If you know of it, show me.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Point well taken. If I'm pleasantly surprised by AE's low price, issue resolved, I'll buy it!
I see it this way. WitP has been out there a long time now, and continuing sales are minimal. AE is largely a volunteer project directed primarily at us WitP idiots. If you don't have WitP by now, you must not want it. If you think AE is too high priced, no matter the price, it isn't directed at you.

So, as Ken Kesey might say at this point, you're either on the bus or you're not.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
AttuWatcher

Post by AttuWatcher »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
AE is largely a volunteer project directed primarily at us WitP idiots. If you don't have WitP by now, you must not want it.

What's good for the fans is good for everyone. IMO WiTP is exactly the kind of software (massive in scale, thousands of layers of interconnected parts) that benefits greatly from years of post-release improvements, fine tuning, and feedback. (in this case, AE)

If anything other than fan service, AE is helping to bring in new people who may have turned away a few years ago (myself included). Everyone loves bigger and better, especially fence-sitters.
mjk428

Post by mjk428 »

ORIGINAL: vettim89

Well consider this: World of Warcraft (WoW), the largest MMORPG charges approximately $45 (US) for their software. You then have to pay them $15 (US) to play. When they do a new expansion there charage an additional $45 for the new software and still get you $15 per month. Oh and yes you need the previous version to be able to play the newest version.

So in my mind a one time outlay of some dollars for hours, day, weeks, months, years, eons of FREE playing time after that seems like a pretty good deal. JOMHO

WoW will also let you play for free for a 10 day trial period in an attempt to get you hooked.

For those folks that play WitP and nothing but WitP, the price is unimportant.

I'll wait for the price to be announced before giving my opinion. Although, the unwillingness to announce an official price may be telling. Hopefully it's to just not spoil a pleasant surprise.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: mjk428

Although, the unwillingness to announce an official price may be telling.

From what already has been told to us by Erik we all have a ballpark price for WITP-AE.

So I am at loss as to this thread???
Flipper
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

If I go into a software store and tell the merchant, you're games are too expensive, I'm not going to buy anything...&nbsp; The merchant says, "Mmmm-kay...."
&nbsp;
If I go into a clothing store and tell the merchant, you're clothes are too expensive, I'm not going to buy anything... The merchant says, "Mmmm-kay..."
&nbsp;
If I go into a bank and tell the tell the teller, you're fees are too high, I'm not going to open an account... The teller says, "Mmmmm-kay..."
&nbsp;
If I go into a theater and tell the kid the ticket price is too expensive, I'm not going to go to the movie... The kid says, "Mmmmm-kay...."
&nbsp;
If I go to ....
&nbsp;
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Big B

Post by Big B »

What are you trying to say? [:D]
ORIGINAL: Feinder

If I go into a software store and tell the merchant, you're games are too expensive, I'm not going to buy anything...  The merchant says, "Mmmm-kay...."

If I go into a clothing store and tell the merchant, you're clothes are too expensive, I'm not going to buy anything... The merchant says, "Mmmm-kay..."

If I go into a bank and tell the tell the teller, you're fees are too high, I'm not going to open an account... The teller says, "Mmmmm-kay..."

If I go into a theater and tell the kid the ticket price is too expensive, I'm not going to go to the movie... The kid says, "Mmmmm-kay...."

If I go to ....

-F-
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

At the risk of provoking controversy, here goes...

I suspect that, by forced bundling of AE with the original WitP, Matrix will lose many unit sales and quite possibly diminish their overall revenue.

By bundling both games, Matrix might be setting the price bar so high as to alienate

--casual gamers
--the curious, try-it-and-see-if-i-like-it crowd
--the free-time challenged
--the financially strapped
--game collectors
--other fence sitters (e.g., those poor sods who need their wife's permission before buying)

I have a strong interest in this conflict (I minored in Chinese language and history in college; I've lived in the Philippines for six years and am married to a Filipina; I'm just fascinated by the Pacific War), but I'm chronically short of free time, and I tend not to like monster games, especially insofar as they fall short in the realism department. (I mean to say, if I'm going to commit hundreds and hundreds of hours to a game, it had better be a d@mn good, realistic simulation of the topic. Realism and historical fidelity are all-important to me.)

Especially for the scenarios--more, please!!--I might buy AE. I could see myself committing months of my life to playing scenarios. But years-long grand campaigns? Hardly likely.

For years, I bought and bought many games that I never actually played. In a past life, as a former wastrel, I would have bought AE (and before it WitP) in an instant, no question. Oohed and aahed over the maps. And quite possibly never actually played it.

[qu

PLEASE NOTE: In general, I don't like whiners who complain about the supposed "high" cost of games. Compared to the, IMO, truly high cost of dining out, attending concerts and sporting events, vacationing, etc., hour for hour, dollar for dollar, these games are by far the best entertainment value out there... if the games are really played.

I don't "buy" (literally or figuratively) the argument that one should gladly purchase training-wheels WitP as a warm-up to the big act, AE. Who really believes that first-time buyers will devote serious time to playing and learning WitP when the new-and-improved AE beckons?

There are many other fence sitters like me, I suspect. And if Matrix sets the WitP+AE bundle price too high, I suspect that many people will remain sitting on that fence.

To me, this seems more reasonable: Offer a stand-alone AE mid-way between the price of stand-alone WitP and the combined WitP+AE bundle. In other words:

WitP price < AE price < WitP+AE bundle price.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm sure the bean counters at Matrix know their business better than me.

Just MHO.

Now, excuse me as I run for cover...

So lets say AE is 50 bucks... don't eat out twice in one month, there is your 50 bucks...
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

agreed
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

I sat on the fence over WitP since it released.&nbsp; I just purchased it a few weeks ago.&nbsp; Biggest regret I have is waiting and missing out on the last 4+ years of game play.&nbsp; I hope you decide to take the plunge.&nbsp; You won't regret it.&nbsp;
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

It is a question of whether the game is for you, rather than the expense. Because if you take to the game, or as is more often the case you become addicted to the game. The Price is then academic; since the game becomes cost effective because of the time you spend playing it.

To play this game I think you need some characteristics; the first is the ability to learn, then some measure of patients, and lastly time. To those who seek instant gratification this is not the game for you, it is a game for the tolerant micromanager. But above all else it is an operation wargame, so where a grounding in the military sciences is not essential, it is a help.

I am lucky in that I have studied this theater for most of my life, and have an extensive library on the subject. But it is now possible to find all the material that you need on this subject/theater on the internet. Also this site is full of wonderful player-teachers who are only too willing to answer any question you would need to ask.

EDIT: Also you need a sense of humour for those 'what the hell was that' turns. [;)]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”