One of three!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Titanwarrior89

One of three!

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Of these three games: 1. Road to victory(soon to be time of wrath)
2. Europe at war
3. SC2(battlefront)

Which game offers the most bang for your buck? I have all three but never played Road to victory. The areas I would like, Such as;

Supply rules
close to avlonhill -The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. a old board game classic.
step losses
decent naval rules
weather
HQ's
large map

I want those items so which one would you guys recommend. I thought about loading up RTV but decided to come here first. The reason I ask, is because I am just about out of HD space on my laptop.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Zakhal

RE: One of three!

Post by Zakhal »

>1. Road to victory(soon to be time of wrath)

This is without doubt the best. Youll also get time of wrath free as a bonus when it releases.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Thanks Zakhal. I'll give it a try. I have two of the games but was not totally happy with either(there was something missing). Have not played RTV but thinking about loading up one of the three. But what I read on the RTV forums about the game, some people were not to happy with it.

What I am looking for is game that meets those areas and more in the above thread on ww2. GG's waw-divided is great but I want something with less than quarterly turns and units with a ID.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
Have you played the PC version of this game? It had a decent AI even and I pretty much enjoyed it back then. The game was available as abandonware som years ago.

As for the other three I own them all and I simply like the RtV best. Its the biggest with best AI and ok naval combat. I had most fun time playing it easily. For the small details just check the features of the game

SC2 was okay but I didnt really like the style or size of the map. Europe at war well I dont have much to say about that. Wish it had better AI. Im mainly AI player so thats kind of important.

Once wraith is released Im for another replay through all of these war in europe games. They all have som unique qualities.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

I played the demo of EaW, and I've observed and read AARs from ToW and predecessor RtW.

I've been with SC since its early days, like the summer of 2002, the latest is the Pacific version, not SC2, there are 5 versions in sequence. 

EaW & ToW seem fine for land mechanics, although the reason I finally gave up on ToAW and Panzer Campaigns was the bigger scenarios became a clickfest, moving every unit, and I didn't like the air dynamics.  Moving hundreds of units every turn gets to be cumbersome especially if you have limited time resources, same for your opponent if you like to play PBEM, online, or Hotseat.  These games take a long time to complete, SC PTO too, but not as long.

Most games that are new or relatively recent, like these other two, will have some growing pains, patches, ..in essence they face the same thing SC faced back in 2002, an evolutionary process.  It'll take time for them to work out the idiosyncracies, it will take multiple versions and a vibrant forum with a receptive designer.

So which game do you think has the most potential for the refinement of features, the most rounded appealing dynamics?

Each to his own, but make a committment to make whatever you choose better cause they all start the same and they are a product of investment, mostly time, the most valuable one. 

One more piece of advice....try the demos, if they don't have one be even more skeptical.

Return to “General Discussion”