War in the East vs. War in Russia

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

GaryChildress

War in the East vs. War in Russia

Post by GaryChildress »

How similar is the new War in the East to the old War in Russia being offered for free by Matrix. I know there will no doubt be many improvements and changes but I have absolutely no idea what War in the East will be like so I am wondering if I DL War in Russia will that give me some clue as to the style of game play and characteristics of War in the East?

Thanks.

EDIT: The only other game I've played which may be close to WITE was Korsun Pocket which I played only sporadically but other than that I've basically only played WITP, WPO, the CC series, CEAW and CNAW. So I'm pretty new to the genre represented by WITE. [:o]
Joel Billings

RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia

Post by Joel Billings »

They are very different games, although you'll see Gary's love for detail in both games. War in Russia is a game where both players plot and then movement/combat is resolved. War in the East is an IGOUGO game where a player gets to move and attack all in one phase, and then the other player gets to move and attack. So the games feel very different. Some of the testers are big WiR players so they could go into more details about the similarities and differences.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

They are different games by the same developer on the same subject. WIR is not a preview of WITE except in a VERY general sense, especially given that it was originally released more than 15 years ago. It might give you some insight to general design style, but I wouldn't suggest concluding much more than that. WITE is the heir to WIR, but it is not an updated clone of WIR.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

hehe

well, it is being fought in Russian and maybe later in Germany, it has Russian and Germen troops (and all the Axis Allies) it has alot of the same weapons

and the old WIR is one of the old Classics, but this is going to blow it away
joey

Post by joey »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

hehe

well, it is being fought in Russian and maybe later in Germany, it has Russian and Germen troops (and all the Axis Allies) it has alot of the same weapons

and the old WIR is one of the old Classics, but this is going to blow it away

Hard Sarge, have you came up for air? You need to get off this forum and get back to working on BOB/BTR! The fourth of July is getting ever closer and I want to be plotting bombing raids against somebody. It is much more interesting than the traditional family gathering.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks for the replies. As I say belatedly in the edit above, the only other game I've played which may be close to WITE was Korsun Pocket which I played only sporadically but other than that I've basically only played WITP, WPO, the CC series, CEAW and CNAW. So I'm pretty new to the sub-genre (perhaps?) of wargames represented by WITE.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

naw, it is past my bedtime, so I can lurk

(besides I did all my testing work at work last night, laptops are sweet)

can't really post what I am thinking or got planned, but..., unless they got some magic up there sleeve, I would start planning on having a cookout this weekend
joey

Post by joey »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

naw, it is past my bedtime, so I can lurk

(besides I did all my testing work at work last night, laptops are sweet)

can't really post what I am thinking or got planned, but..., unless they got some magic up there sleeve, I would start planning on having a cookout this weekend

Past your bedtime? Start planning a weekend cookout? - well I guess there always is my birthday.........
Josans

Post by Josans »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

How similar is the new War in the East to the old War in Russia being offered for free by Matrix. I know there will no doubt be many improvements and changes but I have absolutely no idea what War in the East will be like so I am wondering if I DL War in Russia will that give me some clue as to the style of game play and characteristics of War in the East?

Thanks.

EDIT: The only other game I've played which may be close to WITE was Korsun Pocket which I played only sporadically but other than that I've basically only played WITP, WPO, the CC series, CEAW and CNAW. So I'm pretty new to the genre represented by WITE. [:o]

Its another game. But if you played old WiR you will find the same sensations but improved [8D] Still some us, testers, we are playing with the same strategy as we did in the WiR. [;)]

SSG Korsun Pocket Decisive Battles Beta Tester
GG´s War in the East Alpha Tester
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

OK. I tried DLing WIR. I unzipped the file and clicked on wir.exe and got the following error message below. Does the Matrix edition not work on XP? Or is there more to the setup than just unzipping the file?

When I checked the PDF rule book it simply says:
Installing the Game
Follow the instructions on your data card
to install and play the game.

What data card?

[:(]

Attachments
WIR.jpg
WIR.jpg (15.92 KiB) Viewed 242 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Woops. Sorry. Never mind. Just went to the WIR forum and DLed DosBox and got the game to run. Looks interesting.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”