Editing the Lahman Database for PS Use

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

KG Erwin

Editing the Lahman Database for PS Use

Post by KG Erwin »

The position problem can only be properly addressed if we get together, as a group, to edit/correct the Lahman database for PureSim use. It would be a huge project, and I'm not even sure if we can pull it off without thoroughly bollixing it up. I'm just tossing this idea out for you guys to consider.

Problems to consider: to edit the database, we need MS Access, and there isn't a free version. Co-ordinating changes would require a team leader. First of all, I need to find a group of Puresimmers who are foolish enough to try. Secondly, I need to find out from Shaun if it's even worthwhile. Thirdly, would Sean Lahman be willing to let a group of crazed gamers mess with his creation?
akcranker

RE: Editing the Lahman Database for PS Use

Post by akcranker »

I tried doing this years ago to create my own database with the Alaska Baseball League stats and history... talk about a huge undertaking.  Let's just say I never did complete it.
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
Problems to consider: to edit the database, we need MS Access, and there isn't a free version.

You can edit Access DBs with OpenOffice.org if that helps..
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
Nukester

Post by Nukester »

One of the issues here is that inside the game there is the normal "Lahman" database, but there is also a PureSim created database with pretty much the same data in it. The changes might have to be made in both databases. Im not sure about that though. When I first got the game a few years ago, I wanted to do some editing to the database, but was told, IIRC, not to bother because it wouldnt work. I was never really given a reason why though.

It might be possible now though, since that was a few years ago
prisonerno6

Post by prisonerno6 »

What I have done in the past is to pick a year (let's say 1979) go through the database and update each player with his best statistical year, load up the database, start the league and playout the year over and over.  It is quite a lot of work, but it was worth it!

Nukester - All you have to do is delete the PureSim Tables, do your edits, save the database and then the next time you start PureSim, the game reloads the database.
Nukester

Post by Nukester »

ORIGINAL: prisonerno6

Nukester - All you have to do is delete the PureSim Tables, do your edits, save the database and then the next time you start PureSim, the game reloads the database.

Thats awesome. Thanks for the info.

Return to “PureSim Baseball”