Please not again. No TCP/IP!?!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jclauder

Please not again. No TCP/IP!?!

Post by jclauder »

Unfortunately it looks like this game is going the same way Empire in Arms and others went. An initial teaser of a capability of TCP/IP followed later by it being dropped. For my friends and I, no TCP/IP means the game is not playable and I'm getting so tired of being disappointed by the ommision of TCP/IP capability.

Please don't say that PBEM is essentially the same thing as TCP/IP. I have played games both ways and despite what most of the PBEM players think, TCP/IP is about twice as fast and contains comorradory of having players in the game at the same time as opposed to an impersonal PBEM game. TCP/IP also avoids the painful process of zipping files, emailing, waiting for some to get the email, download, unzip, load the file... By the time I've gone through this process a few times, I don't want to play the game anymore.

I don't understand the movement away from TCP/IP. In the 90's it was common to have nearly every game contain TCP/IP functionality. If it could be done then, it has to be able to be done now.

I was looking forward to Empire in Arms for years and have been unable to purchase it without the TCP/IP. Now for the past year I have been eagerly anticipating this game to again be forced to not purchase it.

Please not again....
Andy Mac

RE: Please not again. No TCP/IP!?!

Post by Andy Mac »

jclauder TCP/IP as far as I am aware was never on the list for AE so I am not sure where you saw a teaser suggesting we were considering it.

Apologies if thats a showstopper for yuo but it was never on any list I saw I would imagine for th esame reason as the original its technically to hard

Andy
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: jclauder

Unfortunately it looks like this game is going the same way Empire in Arms and others went. An initial teaser of a capability of TCP/IP followed later by it being dropped. For my friends and I, no TCP/IP means the game is not playable and I'm getting so tired of being disappointed by the ommision of TCP/IP capability.

Please don't say that PBEM is essentially the same thing as TCP/IP. I have played games both ways and despite what most of the PBEM players think, TCP/IP is about twice as fast and contains comorradory of having players in the game at the same time as opposed to an impersonal PBEM game. TCP/IP also avoids the painful process of zipping files, emailing, waiting for some to get the email, download, unzip, load the file... By the time I've gone through this process a few times, I don't want to play the game anymore.

I don't understand the movement away from TCP/IP. In the 90's it was common to have nearly every game contain TCP/IP functionality. If it could be done then, it has to be able to be done now.

I was looking forward to Empire in Arms for years and have been unable to purchase it without the TCP/IP. Now for the past year I have been eagerly anticipating this game to again be forced to not purchase it.

Please not again....

Hmmm... don't think that UV / WitP / WitP-AE are at all suitable for TCP/IP... [:D]

BTW, think of average 4 to 6 hours people would need just for opening move (i.e 1st turn)... [;)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

In WitP (AE) 1 turn (specially the 1st turn) can take a few hours easily. So PBEM is the only way to play this game online. Even with PBEM there are not many ppl who have the patience to play a game to the end. But if you love micro management from the single pilot up to the theater commander then WitP is your game too. In WitP AE (2) you can even fly your own plane [;)]
Good Hunting
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

TCP/IP was never an option for AE. I don't know where you got the idea, but it wasn't.

It very clearly says "TCP/IP : NO" on the game's product page, and always has.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Would be quite funny matches...WitP AE TCP/IP with 5 min turn limit! [:D]  Used to be good fun with Combat Mission series, one really did need to concentrat to what was important, even in company-level scenarios.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I strongly doubt that any game using this engine will ever have TCP/IP capability. Even if the turn length was not a factor, the code just isn't structured to allow it. It would require some pretty significant, low level redesign to add the ability.

Additionally, TP/IP play lends itself better to real time games than turn based ones.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: wdolson

I strongly doubt that any game using this engine will ever have TCP/IP capability. Even if the turn length was not a factor, the code just isn't structured to allow it. It would require some pretty significant, low level redesign to add the ability.

Additionally, TP/IP play lends itself better to real time games than turn based ones.

Bill

And also (even "forgetting" the time to make one turn) it takes years to finish the longer scenarios even for players that manage to produce more than 1 turn per day (and with setting 1 turn = 1 day)... [;)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Please not again....

WITP-AE with TCP/IP...I don't see it happening

As for your statement; "If it could be done then, it has to be able to be done now."
Rather than give you a technical answer I will tell you in a project ANY feature/request has to pass a cost/benefit test. Personally if I was project manager on this project I do not see TCP/IP passing this test. Too many other areas with larger payoffs.
Flipper
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Well, the poster has asked in a number of forums and games about tcp/ip compatibility ... [8|] ...

Now onto implementing tcp/ip realtime for WITP IX...And believe me I like WITP as is...

Just some random thoughts...
[*]Real time, but ability to accelerate when all players agree. Although real time would mean that you would need a dedicated computer, or maybe it would be "continued" in cyberspace. Thus you can log on and see how things are progressing...
[*]Top down google style mapping. With zooming / 2D/3D. You could watch your planes taking off from Saipan, leave and go away, and then 5-6 hours later log in to see them hit Tokyo, as AA and fighters scramble to intercept.
[*]Alert system to pinpoint impending battles.
[*]3D replays saved of any action, so you can review.
[*]Have the AI and leaders take control of the situation, according to their own abilities... launch strikes, follow up sighting reports in real time etc
[*]Ability to issue orders on the fly, and in advance.(Thinking like, but more advanced than Falcon3)
[*]Time co-ordinated srikes/sweeps & realistic capping.
[*]Realistic Weather effects affecting search and strike.
[*]Carrier planes refueling on the decks ...cough cough.
[*]Realistic movement of supplies and air/land reinforcements or redeployments.
[*]Ships zig-zagging underway.
[*]Bombs dropped from 30K+ falling "off-target".

etc..

Bored and posting...

--Damian--
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

He is kidding? Right
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
ETF

Post by ETF »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Would be quite funny matches...WitP AE TCP/IP with 5 min turn limit! [:D]  Used to be good fun with Combat Mission series, one really did need to concentrat to what was important, even in company-level scenarios.

Would be a nice option. Imagine having 10 or 15 players with there own command and possibly a over all commander for each side. Certainly would take more than 5 mins but you could say produce a turn every 15 mins? Maybe for Witp2 :)
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

No.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Jorm

Post by Jorm »

gawd i hope they waste not a second on TCP/IP play for any future itterations of this game, it would be an un playable and BORING mess.

Theres TCP/IP Harpoon perhaps a game on that scale as WWII would work.

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

given that the average full campaign turn takes between 15-45 minutes to process....I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Besides, what difference would it make, even with a fast turnaround, if one uses email vs. TCP?

denisonh

Post by denisonh »

Spot on
ORIGINAL: Nikademus

given that the average full campaign turn takes between 15-45 minutes to process....I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Besides, what difference would it make, even with a fast turnaround, if one uses email vs. TCP?

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

This thread was a joke,right?[8|]
Reg

Post by Reg »

A Classic Utility
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Mike Scholl

Post by Mike Scholl »

Please not again....

I really don't think he had any intention to do anything except "put in a plug" for his favorite system of game play. "for the past year I have been eagerly anticipating this game to again be forced to not purchase it.". As far as I know, WITP has been available for at least 4 years..., and you can't play AE without having WITP.

If he'd ever bothered to purchase WITP, he's know what a rediculous demand he was making. Unless he's in prison and has nothing else to do with his life but sit staring at a screen waiting for his opponant to finish a turn. I suppose that's a possibility?
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Anyone who has played this game for any length of time knows that TCIP in this style of game is not possible. No way am I sitting around waiting for my opponent to work on his move. Some turns are 15 minutes, some turns are a few hours. Not possible.

Best post in this thread..."Would be quite funny matches...WitP AE TCP/IP with 5 min turn limit!" - Saud!
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”