afghanistan/pakistan

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

general_solomon

afghanistan/pakistan

Post by general_solomon »

I am looking for a toaw3 user created map of afg and pak.

i am new to the game, so how tough would it be to create one large map with 2.5k hexes.
Dr. Foo

RE: afghanistan/pakistan

Post by Dr. Foo »

It depends on how much level of detail you want. When I create a map I do not like the map to be cluttered. I tend to only place major cities, roads, ports, airfields, and rail lines. Of course, I try to get the topography as correct as possible. I find that the Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection to be an excellent resource for map making.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

I start with the outline of the map and then place terrain, roads, cities and features. Sometimes maps take hours to make, sometimes days or even weeks depending on how much time I put into it and the size of the map.

Are you creating a full map of both countries or just the border region?
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
general_solomon

thanks for the input, i would like to map all of afghanistan and most of pakistan. 

I want to create the soviet afghan war, post war civil war, northern alliance vs taliban(rise of taliban), us vs taliban, taliban vs pakistan army.

i would like to make the hex as small as possible with the shortest time allowed per turn.

all ideas are welcome.  also i would like to have alot of detail in the maps.
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

I'm currently doing Central America at 5km a hex and it's a massive undertaking... doing all of Afghanistan and Pakistan at 2.5km/hex would be a hell of an accomplishment. I'd strongly suggest you look more at 10 or 25km a hex and see how that goes first.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

I'm currently doing Central America at 5km a hex and it's a massive undertaking... doing all of Afghanistan and Pakistan at 2.5km/hex would be a hell of an accomplishment. I'd strongly suggest you look more at 10 or 25km a hex and see how that goes first.

That's noting I am doing FITE at 2.5km/hex and squad level formations! [X(] [;)]
ddiego

Post by ddiego »

there is a scenarion that covers that region at 10km hex.

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... php?Id=769
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo
ORIGINAL: hellfish6

That's noting I am doing FITE at 2.5km/hex and squad level formations! [X(] [;)]

Seems like I recall a scenario in which operation Barbarosa was fought at Tactical Ranges. The Scenario was called "Barbarosa Tactical" or something like that. In any event I applaud your efforts and intend this post as encouragement. It's a massive undertaking because of the humoungous size of the area covered and the possible detail that could possibly be included in the map. Go for it dude.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

In any event I applaud your efforts and intend this post as encouragement. It's a massive undertaking because of the humoungous size of the area covered and the possible detail that could possibly be included in the map. Go for it dude.

Thanks Larry but I was joking I could never imagine or hope to undertake the effort that would go into creating such a scenario. I doubt TOAW III would allow for even half the units that would be needed. My God I expect the game itself would take years to complete if played to a conclusion.
Ladmo

Post by Ladmo »

Hellfish,

I'd very much like to know more about your Central America project, when you are comfortable releasing details. The wars down there in the 1970s-80s are a particular interest of mine.

I am currently working on a an insurgency war in a fictional Central American republic.

Regards,
Ladmo
"The world is not divided into East and West anymore; it is divided into North and South..."
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

There's not much to say about it now... work is suspended while I'm on active duty. The map is only maybe 5% done at this point, and that obviously needs to get done before I can do anything else.

I am following the current crisis in Honduras... interesting 'what ifs' abound.
general_solomon

can Guerrilla warfare be modeled well in this game?

Return to “Scenario Design”