ASW in 1944

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

thegreatwent

ASW in 1944

Post by thegreatwent »

I am playing as Japan and it is early 1944. Submarines have become a nightmare for me around the HI. My aircraft don't seem to be carrying their weight I have Lilys, Anns, Kates and Maries on ASW missions with 70+ exp. They are patrolling at 2000 ft and while they often sight subs they don't seem to be attacking. Should I move them to Naval Search as some have suggested or should I try a different altitude or plane? Any pointers would be welcome as my TKs seem to be made of some torpedo attracting alloy[:(].
Nikademus

RE: ASW in 1944

Post by Nikademus »

naval search can work. You'll want to form many ASW TF's too.

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Those C/D class PC's are real sub killers. Accelerate construction of some of those, and form H/K TF's. I have found that if they fire off the 12 x Type 2 DC racks, that will sink an Allied sub over half the time, and will always send it home.

The ASW TF's will do a little better BTW if you put a decent leader in charge. Not a top admiral, but you have plenty of OK ones.
thegreatwent

Post by thegreatwent »

Thanks for the suggestions. This the furthest I've gotten in a game as Japan and just supplying resources and oil is taking up most of my turns. The KB is intact but my sentry islands are falling. Subs and 4E bombers are the nemesis of Japan IMO.

WitP isn't just a game. Its an alternative lifestyle[:)]
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

I am playing as Japan and it is early 1944. Submarines have become a nightmare for me around the HI. My aircraft don't seem to be carrying their weight I have Lilys, Anns, Kates and Maries on ASW missions with 70+ exp. They are patrolling at 2000 ft and while they often sight subs they don't seem to be attacking. Should I move them to Naval Search as some have suggested or should I try a different altitude or plane? Any pointers would be welcome as my TKs seem to be made of some torpedo attracting alloy[:(].

HISTORY

The game overstates the effectiveness of ASW.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Thanks for the suggestions. This the furthest I've gotten in a game as Japan and just supplying resources and oil is taking up most of my turns. The KB is intact but my sentry islands are falling. Subs and 4E bombers are the nemesis of Japan IMO.

WitP isn't just a game. Its an alternative lifestyle[:)]

No doubt! I am in 1945 as Japan, and it doesn't get easier. The only areas you get stronger as Japan are in PCs/ASW, and in Infantry.

Nice Auto-sig by the way, like the Piper Cub on yours. Did you have a relative in the Artillery? My gramps (on my autosig), served with the 41st Divisional Artillery (as an artillery observation pilot)
fabertong

Post by fabertong »

Having been Japan 'late war' in a few PBEM........I've found (in stock , at least)....that Naval search is more effective than ASW for planes.....2-3000 feet.....100% (in stock).......Japan does get some good ASW ships in '44-45.....group these with an agressive leader....and send to any sighting......

You are right that subs and LRB and the biggest threat to Japan......to last late war.....you must keep the 4E's out of range for as long as possible.....and keep the sea lanes to the DEI open as long as Poss.
fabertong

Post by fabertong »

ORIGINAL: herwin

HISTORY

Not sure what this contributes to the posted gaming question..........
herwin

Post by herwin »

ORIGINAL: fabertong

HISTORY

Not sure what this contributes to the posted gaming question..........

It doesn't. I now label my comments ("HISTORY", "GAME", "OPERATIONS RESEARCH") so people can choose to ignore or respond to them based on their interests.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
stuman

Post by stuman »

Sounds sensible Herwin.  Personally I like the additional info. [:)]
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

thegreatwent

Post by thegreatwent »

No doubt! I am in 1945 as Japan, and it doesn't get easier. The only areas you get stronger as Japan are in PCs/ASW, and in Infantry.

Nice Auto-sig by the way, like the Piper Cub on yours. Did you have a relative in the Artillery? My gramps (on my autosig), served with the 41st Divisional Artillery (as an artillery observation pilot)

Yes, my grandfather was a redleg. He served in Moratai, Luzon and the occupation force. While in the National Guard he served in Korea. For myself I also was in the FA, I played with 105mm, 155mm and one of the last 8in units. It is sad to note that many of my old tubes are now bombs.
Long Lance

Post by Long Lance »

HISTORY

The game overstates the abilty of mid-/latewar Allied Fighters even more.

Ric

Post by Ric »

I have created almost 15 ASW patrols. betwen 5 an 8 ships each

and now is mid 1945 and got rid of american subs.

the kill ratio reached at some point to 3 or 4 subs sunk during a game week
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

Helens and Sallys are sub killers. The other Jap AC just don't carry enough bombs to do the job
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

BTW, IJN level bombers set to Nav Search or ASW do not score hits. Ever. You will see them attack, but not hit anything.
Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

BTW, IJN level bombers set to Nav Search or ASW do not score hits. Ever. You will see them attack, but not hit anything.
And to think mdiehl was making such a big squak about IJAAF aircraft doing this, as though it gave IJ an advantage they didn't have. So if what you say is true, it's actually more of a cheat against IJ, as having that ASW option just entices the player to use it, when it never works, therefore wasting fuel/supplies.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

In my limited games as Japan I find Vals and Kates with high exp (75+) to be excellent ASW AC. If I have carriers in the area I will cruise them slowly between two points with ASW set to 100% and I get a good number of detections and kills. Vals in particular if they detect a sub put a bomb into it with enough regularity to be effective. And those 250 KG bombs really hurt subs.
stuman

Post by stuman »

So only set Japanese bombers to Naval Attack if you are goiing after subs ? I did not know that.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: stuman

So only set Japanese bombers to Naval Attack if you are goiing after subs ? I did not know that.

Q-Ball was speaking about IJNAF level bombers like Nells, Betties, Frances. Those level bombers that carry torps, and the same goes for the patrols. You see them attacking but they never hit so I guess that´s a bug. I´ve never seen a single sub in thousands of PBEM turns taking damage from such an attack. Not IJN, nor Allied subs. It works when torp carrying single E bombers attack though. Kates or TBFs work just fine. Don´t know what strange bug or feature that is.

Bombers on nav attack will never attack a sub though.
BJStone

Post by BJStone »

Do you have an Air HQ in the area that is in range of the bases you are flying out of?

I think that even the LB sightings help direct or bring to the attention of ASW DB air units an enemy sub for an attack run.

I've seen statements on this thread regarding LB sighting but not hitting enemy subs. There is, according to the manual, a minimum requirement of a 5k altitude for LBs that, I think, has an impact on a successful attack of an enemy sub.

What is the range setting on your DBs? I would try reducing the range to normal or less. And use aggressive leaders for your air units.

I get very good results with my DB flying at an altitude of 6k. I know DB attack @ 2k but I think they spot better at 6k.

Regards,

BJ

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”