graphics and music customizing

The Seven Years’ War was fought across the globe and called by some the first “World War” as virtually every major power participated. In the center of events was Prussia, almost constantly at war and lead by the now legendary Frederick the Great.

Relive the exciting and trying days of Frederick the Great in Horse and Musket: Volume I, the improved and expanded combination of the previous Prussian War Machine and Prussia’s Glory titles. Horse and Musket: Volume I is a reboot of the successful Horse and Musket series, including not only two solid historical titles in one package, but also many new game features, a powerful new editor, and a complete graphics overhaul to an already acclaimed gaming system.

Moderators: Tim Coakley, Sertorius

staryhrac30

graphics and music customizing

Post by staryhrac30 »

So I have finally bought this game. I can't comment on it yet, as I just started reading the manual and played only a few turns, but the very first impressions are good. However I'd like to alter two things for better period feel and don't know how..

I don't like the generic unit pictures in unit description window. The style is OK, but it distracts me a bit to have to look at the Austrian white infantryman uniform when I play the Prussians. Is there a way to mod in two customized sets of pictures for both sides?

The music, there are only a few tracks. I want to replace them to something with period feel and add more tracks. Is it possible to add/replace ingame music? No problem to let them play in winamp, but it's not handy as the game always CTDs when alt-tabbing.

Thanks.

MacDuff

RE: graphics and music customizing

Post by MacDuff »

Not sure about the graphics music, but changed the sounds for musket fire and command activations. I wouild think music is also moddable.
staryhrac30

Post by staryhrac30 »

Correct. I can see the music files now, missed them somehow first. It is possible to add any mp3 up to five tracks, sounds can have five variations for action also.
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

I believe all mine were in mp3 formate. If you're not sure, back up or rename the originals and plug in the ones you've downloaded. I may do this myself just to see if it works.
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

I have found the folder with rifleshots etc. but where are the music files located?
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

Go to the SupportFiles folder, then click on the BattleFiles folder, then the Default folder and finally the Audio folder. At the bottom you'll see Theme1, Theme2 and Theme3. From the way I'm reading the manual you can have up to 5 themes (adding 2 more). Tim will have to correct me on this if I'm wrong.
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

Scratch that I'm wrong. I'll get back to you on this.
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

You are right MacDuff. I have deleted the original Theme1-3 files from the folder and saved "Prussias Gloria" as Theme1 and it works fine. Thanks!
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

It might sound like a very odd concept to some people. But let me suggest to actually check the manual that comes with the game [;)]

The last sections cover customization.
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

ORIGINAL: Marc von Martial

It might sound like a very odd concept to some people. But let me suggest to actually check the manual that comes with the game [;)]

The last sections cover customization.

You're right Marc,

And, believe it or not, I did read the manual before I posted my reply. However, the treatment of music is very generalized. Although section 12.10 is headed as "Music and Sounds" it doesn't tell you that the music have been renamed. Hence, part of the confusion. Moreover, if I have an answer to a post, regardless of how apparent the answer may seem, I'm going responded to it.

Also Marc, and I don't mean to be overly critical, but I would avoid late night responses to posts. This post of yours carried with it a tone I don't think you intended.
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Believe it or not, but Frederick himself was an accomplished musician in his own right. There are CDs out there of his works.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22fre ... r=chr-yie8

If this doesn't work for some reason, use the keywords "frederick the great" +music +cd.

He has a number of works to his credit, primarily concertos involving the flute. I had the pleasure to hear one of these on NPR and the cretin that had to state the title of the work couldn't resist sneering "this work by the militarist Frederick the Great."

At least this jerk got history's title correct.
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

MacDuff is right on with the procedure. The in game music files are titled as Theme#...

Looks like we have the alt-tab CTD bug fixed for the patch.

Tim
Horse and Musket2---Matrix Games

Return to “Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great”