Xfire and MWIF

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

MajorDude

Xfire and MWIF

Post by MajorDude »

I am absolutely NOT trying to add anything new, but have you been in contact with the Xfire people about Xfire support for MWIF, have they contacted you, and do any Matrix games have Xfire support?

Almost all pc games that come out these days support Xfire and it is oftentimes a boon to sales as well as finding other players for matches, etc.

It could be that Matrix has envisioned another format for multiplayer matching - I just don't know.

I would, though, highly recommend Xfire support since it is where a LOT of gamers hang out.

Thanks! [:)]
Anendrue

RE: Xfire and MWIF

Post by Anendrue »

I am not sure, but I think direct draw is not being used. If this is the case then I believe crossfire and SLI should both work. However. I'll leave this one to the experts to give a better answer.
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: MajorDude

I am absolutely NOT trying to add anything new, but have you been in contact with the Xfire people about Xfire support for MWIF, have they contacted you, and do any Matrix games have Xfire support?

Almost all pc games that come out these days support Xfire and it is oftentimes a boon to sales as well as finding other players for matches, etc.

It could be that Matrix has envisioned another format for multiplayer matching - I just don't know.

I would, though, highly recommend Xfire support since it is where a LOT of gamers hang out.

Thanks! [:)]
I am in blissful ignorance about all of this. With any luck, I will remain so. [;)]

Andy Johnson (abj9562) is working on a fan site, so he seems to me to be the likely person to consider this.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

Sorry, my bad...
[&o]

Xfire is a communication platform for gamers both in and out of game:

http://www.xfire.com/

It works really well, and a LOT of gamers use it.

It is a very small program that does not interfere with gaming the way many Instant Messenging programs do, for example MSNIM, YIM, AIM, etc. Many of those programs squat HUGE amounts of resources that many players do not realize until they try the same multiplayer game with it turned off...

So, I hope Matrix decides to use this service as it is absolutely free for gamers and it often gets games known to a much wider crowd - aka free publicity - not to mention text chat, voice chat, screenshots, in-game video capture, clans, and more... [8D]
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

it is where a LOT of gamers hang out.
Well, this gamer doesn't. The whole shebang sounds more than a little odd (and even dangerous for your computer) to me.

So, which people "hang out" there? Jolly "Download Trojan" Roger? Alphonso "I just got my nose pierced and it hurts like a b@stard" Rastafaioso? Clem "Geez, I'm 12 now, treat me like a grownup" Kiddiediddlehopper?

Doesn't, on the surface, seem to have much to do with serious computer wargaming among the sort of folk who frequent this place (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

clans, and more...
People's exhibit A.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
yesman68

Post by yesman68 »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

it is where a LOT of gamers hang out.
Well, this gamer doesn't. The whole shebang sounds more than a little odd (and even dangerous for your computer) to me.

So, which people "hang out" there? Jolly "Download Trojan" Roger? Alphonso "I just got my nose pierced and it hurts like a b@stard" Rastafaioso? Clem "Geez, I'm 12 now, treat me like a grownup" Kiddiediddlehopper?

Doesn't, on the surface, seem to have much to do with serious computer wargaming among the sort of folk who frequent this place (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Amen brother!
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

It is a very good service. [:)]

Just because a game supports it does NOT mean you have to use it - it just does not discriminate against players who do and find it very useful. [8D]

You can set it up to be as private as you want it to be. You can use it as a sort of free Teamspeak or Vent. You can use it to easily share screenshots with other players to discuss how a battle went for example.

"Guilds/Clans" in Xfire are often just groupings of people who play the same games and enjoy the others in the group as opponents and/or allies - many gamers do not even belong to one.

"Serious wargamer", the way you say it, sounds almost just a bit too serious. I consider myself a 'serious gamer', and enjoy gaming quite a bit, with as much boardgaming experience as computer. That said, I find many things in life to be a lot more serious and demand to be considered seriously, and gaming cannot always be placed above them nor should it be imho. [:-]

Finally, if you have not tried or even seen Xfire in operation, please find out more about it, leave it alone, or give it a chance before bashing something you don't know, and most importantly, please remember that you do not have to use Xfire in game - even though the vast majority of currently played pc games (at least 80% I would say) allow players to use it freely.

Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

My mistake I thought he was talking about crossfire for ATI video cards much like SLI for NVIDIA. I will hang my head in embarassment and blush like a new bride.
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

Sorry about the second post. I had to help my son.  Anyway, we will have a community based fan site. It will include the capability to profile yourself, add friends, email, PM and more. It will also have an area to track a players ladder rank, tournament win loss rate and more. This will be somewhat similiar to many community based sites out there so will be easy to use. If anyone is familiar with Joomla we are using Community Builder (CB) for all of the aspects I just mentioned. Its selection allows for custiomization to the community of MWiF. Since the database is easily modified and maintained we can add more to it as time goes by. An example would be creating and adding fields indicating game preferences such as pbem, net play, hotseat, desire for full games or whether a player will resign when they feel defeated. This way you can identify a player you wish to engage. Send them an email or PM to find out if they want to play. If you feel comfortable add them to your friends list. You will also be able to watch other profiles in a stealth mode for players you want to keep an eye on until you are ready to call them out for a challenge. CB has so many capabilities and is so customizable I am very excited about using it in the fan site. After getting the sites backend, framework, forums etc... up and running this will be the first major tool to be added into the site.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Sorry, my bad...
[&o]

Xfire is a communication platform for gamers both in and out of game:

http://www.xfire.com/

It works really well, and a LOT of gamers use it.

It is a very small program that does not interfere with gaming the way many Instant Messenging programs do, for example MSNIM, YIM, AIM, etc. Many of those programs squat HUGE amounts of resources that many players do not realize until they try the same multiplayer game with it turned off...

So, I hope Matrix decides to use this service as it is absolutely free for gamers and it often gets games known to a much wider crowd - aka free publicity - not to mention text chat, voice chat, screenshots, in-game video capture, clans, and more... [8D]

ummmm... forgive the question MajorDude, but do you have any financial interest in the success of this Xfire site? Your sequence of posts reads like an advertising campaign.
/Greyshaft
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I consider it a wasteful band-eater.

It has some good features for finding multiplayer co-players and also helps to get the new downloads but because of how much of the bandwidth it takes for me is totally unuseful because I have to have it off 99% of the time.
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

There is none that I know of - I am not a game producer as may be Steve or Matrix.

It is a good service for gamers that is free and does not hassle gamers.

I have seen Joomla used before and it is very amateurish - not to mention the fact that over time it is not free.

I am not talking about forums - the forums are the domain of Matrix and allowed moderaters, guests, and users.

I was speaking about - to be blunt - the fact that I am very proud of this game and would be very proud to show it off and invite others to come and game this platform.

I noticed, upon playing CWIF, that it is NOT recognized among the gaming community as even existing, and decided to ask a simple question.

I think this game is great. I do not want to feel that it is not recognized by the greater gaming community.

[8D]
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

I consider it a wasteful band-eater.

It has some good features for finding multiplayer co-players and also helps to get the new downloads but because of how much of the bandwidth it takes for me is totally unuseful because I have to have it off 99% of the time.

European Xfire works a bit differently indeed.

Thanks for that comment.

Just trying to open a good discussion 'mi compradres'. [:)]
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

There is none that I know of - I am not a game producer as may be Steve or Matrix.

It is a good service for gamers that is free and does not hassle gamers.

I have seen Joomla used before and it is very amateurish - not to mention the fact that over time it is not free.

I am not talking about forums - the forums are the domain of Matrix and allowed moderaters, guests, and users.

I was speaking about - to be blunt - the fact that I am very proud of this game and would be very proud to show it off and invite others to come and game this platform.

I noticed, upon playing CWIF, that it is NOT recognized among the gaming community as even existing, and decided to ask a simple question.

I think this game is great. I do not want to feel that it is not recognized by the greater gaming community.

[8D]

Some of the major companies using Joomla:
Angelica (Publicly-traded health services company)
Avis (The car rental company in Nicaragua)
Burger King (For a special promotion)
CW.com (Main corporate site)
Danone (A lot more than just yogurts)
Derbi (Motorcycle maker - part of Piaggio)
English National Ballet (England's flagship ballet company)
IBS Software (Software for airlines)
IT Wire (Most popular IT site in Australia)
Jetstar (Airline owned by Quantas)
Latvia (The country's official site)
Mansfield Oil (Large U.S. Gasoline Distributor)
Mistubishi Venezuela and Poland (The car manufacturer)
Mountain West Sports (Cable TV sports channel owned by CBS)
Nikon Instruments (High-quality technical products)
Olympus (Camera maker's Australian site)
Peg Perego (Italian child accessories)
Porsche (Brazilian site)
Quizilla (Heavilly modded Joomla site owned by MTV)
Scandinavian Airlines (Official crew guide)
Schneider Electric (World leader in power and control solutions)
Sprint (Customer feedback site for cell-phone company)
TNA Wrestling (Pro-wrestling organization)
Toshiba (Greek site for the electronics giant)
UNRIC (Branch of the United Nations)
Vodafone (Cell-phone company's Icelandic site)
Visat (Danish site for Scandanavian TV and telecommunications company)
Yamaha (Musical instrument company's Mexican site)

However here are some more stats for you:
In January 2008, the first stable release was downloaded almost 200,000 times. Since then, the total number has exploded to over 8 million downloads.
By July 2008, the official Joomla! forum had more than 300,000 threads and over 1.3 million posts from more than 255,000 registered members in 40 languages.
Currently the Joomla Discussion Forums contain over 1.5 million posts from almost 250,000 users.
Last January, there were approximately 10 million unique visitors to the family of Joomla sites and that number has doubled to 20 million in the last year.
The Joomla Code forge provides a solid development resource for almost 1,500 open source projects and over 138,000 developers.

As a side not Joomla forked from Mambo due to an internal power struggle to control the developers. Many people on both sides of the issue hold grudges and promote dissent on the web.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

way back in the late 80s-to-early-90s in Ann Arbor (Karl, Chaim, Karl, Jon, Mike, you around?) we used some conferencing software on a mainframe to have 2 private conferences for each side involved in six-player WiF campaigns. We found that it greatly speeded up our gaming sessions as we could talk strategy and tactics privately during the week between gaming sessions, without having to use up precious ftf gaming time with too many of those 'can we have the map for a bit' talks where the other side had to leave the room. I don't know if anything more complex than email with a CC: on it would be needed these days, but non-real-time discussion is a big aid to playing WiF.
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

Running Ventrillo or some other voice capable chat system would be real ideal for MWiF.  However it can be bandwidth intensive with high quality sound for dial up. Anyone with brioadband could set up a server and run it fairly easily. With its multi channel capability you can have private conferences public areas and more.
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

ORIGINAL: abj9562

Running Ventrillo or some other voice capable chat system would be real ideal for MWiF.  However it can be bandwidth intensive with high quality sound for dial up. Anyone with brioadband could set up a server and run it fairly easily. With its multi channel capability you can have private conferences public areas and more.

Just one example I know of, if you look around, you can find 10-slot Teamspeak servers - meaning it runs on THEIR computer - for less than $5 a month. This avoids the problem of running it on your computer. And if you make sure to set it up so that only people that you register can access it (meaning each one has to have a login name and password - thus giving out NO generic password for the server), then you avoid the sometimes unpleasant interruption of people getting a generic password and just popping in and bugging you. [:-]

The better sound quality does take up a little bit more bandwidth, and could be a problem for those still using dial-up, but on a small 10-slot server, for example, it is really neglible compared to the difference between the default 'tin can' quality and the better sound quality options imo. [:)]

Yes, it is easy to set up specially passworded "VIP" or "private side/conference" channels for playing different sides in a game with a main channel for game interaction - you just have to be sure to set sound alarms so members can know if the other side is ready and texting for a call back to the main channel. The possibilities are basically limited only by your imagination. [8D]

micheljq

Post by micheljq »

We use a Teamspeak server since many years, our friend is running the server on one old laptop. Teamspeak can also be runned on a Linux system. [:)]
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

Return to “World in Flames”