Vanilla scenario 13 (42A)

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Honda

Vanilla scenario 13 (42A)

Post by Honda »

Dear all,

I'm finding myself seriously considering to rekindle the old Imperial pbem flame and mid '42 is the scenario of choice. I am, however, completely at loss what are the experiences regarding this scenario, both as Japs and as Allies. After a successful game vs. Raver where I pushed my economy to the limit I am find this scenario's economy in shambles. Be it as it is, I will limit war effort, but that is not the problem. The problem is I don't know what to expect when the game begins. Mostly, what to expect from the Allies- are they strong enough to perform sustained offensive(s) from the onset of the scenario or will it take them till '43 to gather strength and organize.
To make this a simpler post, any experiences would come in handy, so if anyone knows of some AARs of that scenario that should do the trick.

Thanks in advance girls,

Honda
khyberbill

RE: Vanilla scenario 13 (42A)

Post by khyberbill »

I only played this scenario once as Japan and it was the NikMod. I did have trouble with the economy however, by the time I had reduced it to a machine with large clogged gears I had also taken Australia and my opponent decided to play a game with horses instead.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
Honda

Post by Honda »

Sooooooooo...you managed to conquer the whole of Australia in this scenario? I do tend to plan optimistically but this wasn't in my plans :)
This is some refreshing news.
How long did it take until the inevitable British air offensive in Burma?
Oh well, I guess this is pointless, it all depends on the opponent and once the game has taken its unpredictable course, similarities are few and far in between.
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

I concentrated on Australia from the beginning. Landed at Darwin, Derby etc on one turn and then a few turns later at Perth. Just as a large convoy of two divisions that I had withdrawn from Burma was sailing by Java, he counter-attacked at Java with a British Division and some support troops. It took a few weeks to wipe this force out. Have to love the ability of the Bettys and Nells to deliver shock and awe to a fleet. I sank all of his British carriers here as well as over 80 transports. We were playing two day turns which can turn into a night mare if you aren't careful.

My opponent did not stand and fight until I got to Sydney and it took over a month to take Sydney. I think that was a mistake on his part to withdraw from Townsville without a fight. I could go on but as they say, your mileage may vary and certainly will depend on your opponent and I had some luck (a small CV TF caught him trying to sneak a US division into Melbourne sunk all the ships in the convoy).
Honda

Post by Honda »

Cool stuff, I have some nice memories conquering Oz as well :)
Still, it surprises me you would embark on such an optimistic operation in mid 42 with such a weak economy (6 months worth of planning and growing is lost). It should be an interesting time planning for my overall strategy in this game :)
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

I was too ignorant to know it couldn't/shouldn't be done. Also, this was my first PBEM as Japan. I never did get a handle on the economy. When my foe quit I had less than 20k supply in Tokyo. The only city on the map with more than 20k was Canberra, the last city to fall in Oz. KB was drifting, out of fuel, near Tasmania. As Vince Lombardi said, winning is the ONLY thing.

I see you are in Croatia. I almost made it there. I got as close as Krsko, where I had several small jobs at the NPP there in 98 and 99. Krsko - Slovenes dont like vowels. Ljubljana is my favorite small city in Europe. I have fond memories of Lake Bled as well. I can recall eating in a restaurant in Kranj? on the way to Lake Bled that I was told had been serving food for 600 years. It was good although the ceilings were low.
erstad

Post by erstad »

The allied logistics position is pretty bad at the start of Scen 13. Far worse than what any competent allied player would allow. Fuel is OK but there's not much supply on the map.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”